FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Events » » Other Events » » Hukilau vs tiki kon
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Hukilau vs tiki kon
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-27 05:37 am   Permalink

“The room party sponsors are bars and liquor companies.”
The ones I have been to were not sponsored by anyone, maybe at TO they are, but would guess it is rare for a liquor company to do this in most cases.

“if the tiki fests were not profitable they wouldn't continue.”
Some have gone down Don The Beachcomber, Sunset Beach, CA is one that will go away, can’t say if that’s all money driven but going to the Don event and not supporting it by buying something helps no one.

Kahiki here went down because of low cash flow, Surf Ohio is gone for the same reason, the other Hukilau lasted only one year, luau by the Sea I think it was.
Mojave Oasis is gone too so we have lost some events.

Low cash flow killed Tropical bistro as the tiki folks spent very little there coming in drunk or maybe getting high in the parking lot.

Low cash flow is what killed most of the tiki bars from days gone by don’t kid yourself.

When I vended at Hukilau we had to buy tickets, get a room, drive down there from Ohio and all so we could vend and spend almost EVERY hour at the booth.
Think about those people that basically pay to be an attraction at the event.
THEN they told us we had to go to the last sitting at the Mai Kai, it was late so we ate at almost 11:00 and there was none of that tiki BS that goes on.

I did very well selling but could have pack up after the first day and been great, as we sold most of our stuff the first day.
Not as much tiki vended at that event I went to as the tiki folks got hip quick and did not come back to sell.
The tiki ones you did see were the "Tiki stars" that got a free ride to come to the event and vend for say one day.

Sorry to rant but owning a diner for ten years and growing up for a lifetime in the business gives you a different view of the situation.

I had a guy that would come in ask for a large glass of water with lots of lemon and then put tons of sugar in it and make himself a free lemonade!
AND he owned a bail bonds place so he could afford a damn drink.

All I ask is think of the wait staff the bar owner, hotel owner, restaurant owner, and all the other people involved in where you go.

They many times are NOT making as much money as you think they are.
And it’s too late to help when they can’t pay the bills.

On your question save lots o cash and go to Hukilau Or Tiki Oasis as they are the best in my book.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-03-27 05:42 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-27 05:56 am   Permalink

I can say that the money made at Hukilau is not justification for doing the event. Don't want to talk a lot on that, but just say that you spend an entire year working on an event that lasts just a long weekend. Almost every day you are doing something and many days you are doing a LOT. Some years you don't make anything. Some years you lose money. Done well and if everyone shows up that you expect, you can make a decent pay day, but probably not worth the effort.

For someone like skip driving in from Ohio, it can be a pain. The local FL vendors and performers and attendees have it a lot easier. Many really depend on the event.

The Mai-Kai gets a lot of attention and it helps them to get the big spotlight. That's the bottom line for me. Supporting Hukilau supports the Mai-Kai.

"Mai-Kai: History & Mystery of the Iconic Tiki Restaurant" the book

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-27 06:21 am   Permalink

"The local FL vendors"
The guy across from us sold like one thing ALL weekend.
He just shook his head as we sold almost everything the first day.
He was selling cheesy painted surf board things, I think the one sale was to a non tiki person from when they let the public in.
Looked like he had two vending spaces too, Man I felt bad for that guy.

"Supporting Hukilau supports the Mai-Kai" And that is great!
But don't leave out the Yankee Clipper, and the Bahia Cabana, and even the bands that play plus the venders and makers of tiki.
The book writers like Sven and Jeff, Martin, I think you wrote a book too Tim, love it.

So one hand washes the other.
Do you think Robert Drasnin would have done another album if not for Hukilau?
I don't.

BUT books that don't sell don't get published, Tiki that does not sell does not get made.
And without that other tiki crap Hukilau is just a bunch of people going out to dinner at the same time with snappy clothes on.

Sorry to talk about the cash thing so much but it relates to this thread as the starting posts seemed to be looking for a cheap tiki thrill event.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-27 2:03 pm   Permalink

I hear you. For those attendees like me traveling from out of state to attend we add on hundreds of dollars in airfare and hotel and meals. That's before the first mai tai and Mug purchase.
I thought the ticket sales would sustain the events. My thought is that the tiki trend peaked in past years. Now in the tiki resurgence , it will peak and then lull again.
It's still a niche culture with a limited fan base. Because of the high prices to partake its harder for lower income folks to spend a Lot on it .

[ This Message was edited by: santa 2018-03-27 14:18 ]

View Profile of santa Send a personal message to santa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-28 06:01 am   Permalink

I have had lots o money to spend at one time in my life and then not so much to spend at times too so I get that sometimes the cash just is not there.

And even when I had lots o cash at times I would say that's just not worth it.

Myself I have problems going to some tiki bars as they just flat out charge too much for me to go there drink and have fun knowing a huge bill is coming for so so drinks at the end of the night.

But have seen people who are just cheap, they could spend but just can't do it.
Even some of the ones who go to an event, make money selling tiki crap at that event and STILL don't drop a dime.

These chepos by going displace a person who would have gone and helped the event by buying a few things.

These events do cost a lot to go to especially if you have to travel far but if you are going to fork over that cash at least go to an event that is worth it.

The events in my opinion that don't cost as much don't give you as much fun in return and can be a bit clique driven.
If you are in the clique you will have fun, if not it can feel odd to be there.

That's what I have seen and that's what I've been told.

I really do want you to have a great time at whatever event you choose as keeping people happy at the events keeps tiki alive and well.

And I may want to spend my whole tiki event stuck behind a booth selling tiki every hour of the event and eat last in the future so the events need to thrive.

Hey event runners how about a free custom shirt or mug or some kind of thank you to the venders who sell at your events.
Instead of the "you guys eat last after all the fun is done" treatment.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-03-28 06:04 ]

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-28 08:12 am   Permalink

I will say that, coming from a background in genre conventions, some of the same problems exist there as well (or at least equivalent sticking points). Some affordable, non-profit, regional events are barely scraping by, whereas large, high-profile events that exist seemingly to wring every single penny from patrons and vendors are raking in money hand over fist (whilst treating pretty much everyone as a mark). Then there are the former that try to evolve into the latter, and more often than not become the headlines you read about when the convention goes belly-up halfway through the weekend and the venue locks up and kicks everyone out.

Hitting the sweet spot--and sticking to it--where patrons, vendors and the staff are able to genuinely enjoy the event without going into hock seems elusive, regardless of the subject matter being celebrated.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-28 09:43 am   Permalink

What are keys to success? Sales? General marketing? The field interests me if the risks can be made lower. Thanks for the great posts!

View Profile of santa Send a personal message to santa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-28 11:13 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-03-28 09:43, santa wrote:
What are keys to success? Sales? General marketing? The field interests me if the risks can be made lower. Thanks for the great posts!

Yes to the above. The big expense, though, is the venue. I've never been involved directly with negotiations, but I know folks who are. Events guarantee a certain number of booked room nights in the contract in order to have access to the event rooms for panels, seminars, vendors, etc. If bookings fall short by even just a few rooms, the event organizers are on the hook for *all* rental fees. That can be devastating. I know once convention a few years ago that got the deadline for room bookings extended, then actually offered to subsidize attendees' lodging because they were so far short on contracted rooms. They were looking at outright bankruptcy otherwise.

People who haven't been involved in organizing conventions and conferences grossly underestimate the expense that goes into these thing. It's not just Spanky, Darla and Alfalfa "putting on a show." Marketing, in particular, is often overlooked. I was involved with a science fiction convention decades ago that blew its entire budget on some Star Trek actors. They slashed the P.R. budget, reasoning "These folks are so famous people will flock to see them regardless of what we do!" Um, no. It was a complete disaster. At the same time, marketing doesn't mean just throw money at the problem. I've seen other local conventions blow the entire marketing budget by taking out ad space in national publications. It's nice that people in New York and LA are aware of your event, but exactly zero booked flights and hotels to come visit Houston in July. "Fiscally conservative and strategically smart" is the best approach, but even the folks behind the disasters think that's what they're doing until it's too late.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-28 11:18 am   Permalink

I will say that, from my vantage point, the event-going tiki community seems more connected and communicative than other disparate special interest groups. Apart from Tiki Central and FOM, the existing big events likely have extensive mailing lists that could be licensed. And those events are scheduled well in advance, so any new tiki event would be wise to establish a presence at Hukilau, Tiki Kon, Oasis, Caliente, Luau etc. to promote the event and lock in as many pre-sale memberships as possible. Such strategies are well-established. Having some committed headlining Guests of Honor doesn't hurt, either.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-29 05:17 am   Permalink

The hotel is a big part. You don't make a ton of money from it, but as he says, you sign a contract to book a certain number of rooms to get the free convention space. Staying in the host hotel is a big part of what allows the event to happen.

These days, every event at Hukilau also includes a free cocktail. Pretty much every presentation welcomes you with a drink. It's become standard. At Oasis too.

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-29 06:24 am   Permalink

“These days, every event at Hukilau also includes a free cocktail”
If you are stuck at a table vending you don’t get one, F-u venders.
Kinda of a joke, but then it was different set of people running the show back when I went.
I'm sure that one of the "Legends of Tiki" will go up to each vender with a free drink and a thank you this year.

“I've seen other local conventions blow the entire marketing budget by taking out ad space in national publications”

Heck the big tiki events you see now I would bet you that most if not all of their marketing was Tiki Central, that and a few flyers they printed up when they started.
Now that they are big they can ride off the common knowledge of the event and market less.

Some of these events don’t post info or even pictures of the event on TC anymore and have forgotten who brought them to the dance.

Should the attendance cool off at one of these events look for them to be right back here at the top of the cool and current list.

TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-29 2:31 pm   Permalink

At the Hukilau for the last couple of years, we have had rum sponsors set up in the hallway right in front of the vendor area, so I'm sure it would have been no problem for the vendors to get someone to pass them a cocktail or two!

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-29 5:44 pm   Permalink

"I'm sure it would have been no problem for the vendors to get someone to pass them a cocktail or two!"

I think you miss the point.
it's not about a free drink, it's about saying thanks for spending your weekend here vending and missing all of Hukilau.

My wife and I paid for tickets and then paid for a vending spot, plus travel and hotel room.
Now this was our choice and we did make money would say we did in the top five as far as money goes.
With that said we MAY have broke even, as in no profit.

So what we thought we would get out of the vending was money to see at least SOME of the event.
But the hours are so long to vend you really are just paying to be a spectacle at the show.
In fact people pay extra to get in to the vendors early.

The vendors at least when I went were treated like second class citizens.
Vendors who paid to be there, not the vendors that get a free ride to vend there for one day.

If you have to travel to Hukilau to vend, At least back then.
Vending at Hukilau was a suckers bet.

And I like Hukilau, just not vending there.
Maybe it has changed, I hope so cuz it needed to.

santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-30 6:22 pm   Permalink

I don't understand why you'd buy a ticket to vend? You are paying a fee to sell. That should cover your entry ticket. If you sell stuff at a music festival do you also buy a full priced ticket?! Makes no sense.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-03-30 10:55 pm   Permalink

"You are paying a fee to sell."

I know I paid for my wife and I paid for myself.
Need to find the packet to get info.

Think I saw that it is $425.00 to sell this year is that right?
The south seas pass is $399.00, so you pay more to sell than the most inclusive pass?

People don't make that much vending there, heck the crap you sell costs something, if not that and your time if you make the stuff you sell, and setting that crap up plus tear down.

I make more selling ONE light on eBay.

It is a great way to let people see what you make, and showcase your work.

That's why you see all the known artist selling in their rooms, or heck just walking down the aisle.
That's how I bought Mai Tiki.

I don't blame them, I would do it too if I could get away with it.

If your not known you will get booted for this so watch out, I would get booted for this.

Who loves ya baby!
Mai Tiki....

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation