FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Unpopular Tiki Opinions
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 )
Unpopular Tiki Opinions
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-10 2:51 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-09-10 10:12, Cammo wrote:
I can't believe we have a mention of Rosslyn Chapel here on Tiki Central!

Rice is a big fan of grail lore and Tiki, so I couldn't resist taking a swing at that softball.

Quote:

On 2018-09-10 11:43, tikiskip wrote:
I put that mug there AND built the Rosslyn Chapel.

That explains the image of the Kahiki Moai wearing a Loyal Order of Water Buffalo hat that's carved on the Apprentice Pillar.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-09-11 06:24 am   Permalink

Ha!, Yes, Yes it does.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sandbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 3 days ago; 10:42 am   Permalink

Unpopular Opinion- I don't really like to drink out of tiki mugs.

While I love the look of mugs, when I'm having a drink I much prefer a glass, or even the ubiquitous Libbey footed glass mug.
I like to see my drink.
“The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, the effect of which is like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.”

View Profile of Sandbartender Send a personal message to Sandbartender      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Roa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 3 days ago; 12:00 pm   Permalink

Tiki Bob mugs look like some kind of a worm face ...like a bad children's book illustration of a face carved in a tree or something

View Profile of Tiki Roa Send a personal message to Tiki Roa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2 days ago; 07:37 am   Permalink

"Unpopular Opinion- I don't really like to drink out of tiki mugs"

I totally agree with this one the Mai Tai glass is the glass we use.
They are way more easy to clean and can be really cool looking.

Plus who wants to break one of your good tiki mugs.

"Tiki Bob mugs look like some kind of a worm face"

WAIT so you don't like Tiki Bob?
I for one have never heard this opinion, Ha!

Do like Tiki Bob really it's just over done kinda like the coco Joes stuff, now some of the coco Joes are cool but there is so much out there I pass on buying it all the time.

Bosko did some cool Tiki Bobs, even the Bob o nut is cool by Swizz.

My Unpopular Opinion is I hate Led lighting.
It does not give a good glow for a tiki room in most cases IMHO.
Plus Led lights were forced on us like the electric car is going to be in a few years.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
King Bushwich the 33rd
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 10:04 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-12-12 10:42, Sandbartender wrote:
Unpopular Opinion- I don't really like to drink out of tiki mugs.

While I love the look of mugs, when I'm having a drink I much prefer a glass, or even the ubiquitous Libbey footed glass mug.
I like to see my drink.

Shocking! Next thing someone will tell me is that the plates from Franklin Mint are used only for display by most people and not for serving meals

View Profile of King Bushwich the 33rd Send a personal message to King Bushwich the 33rd  Goto the website of King Bushwich the 33rd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2 days ago; 12:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

My Unpopular Opinion is I hate Led lighting.
It does not give a good glow for a tiki room in most cases IMHO.

Really, Sip? I had no idea!

I totally sympathize regarding the LEDs available a few years ago. All the light was skewed to the blue end of the spectrum and really harsh. I've been thoroughly impressed by the variety that's become available in the past year, however. Lots of warm ambers and dimmables available now, with a wide array of lumens. Are they perfect for all applications? Of course not, but it's nice to have a bunch of light strings in series without having to worry about the blown fuses I got with C9 bulbs.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sandbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2 days ago; 1:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-12-13 10:04, King Bushwich the 33rd wrote:

Shocking! Next thing someone will tell me is that the plates from Franklin Mint are used only for display by most people and not for serving meals

LOL! Fair call. Although I'd appreciate a warning before I'm surprised by such fine art in the future.

It's just weird, I feel like I SHOULD enjoy drinking out of tiki mugs, but I much prefer a DOF/Mai Tai standard glass like Skip mentioned, or a tall Zombie or Hurricane glass every time.

The only time that serious ceramics are really called for is with a bowl for two or more. And I can count the times I order those on the number of fingers I have on my head.

Quote:

On 2018-12-13 12:44, Prikli Pear wrote:
... I've been thoroughly impressed by the variety that's become available in the past year, however. Lots of warm ambers and dimmables available now, with a wide array of lumens. Are they perfect for all applications? Of course not, but it's nice to have a bunch of light strings in series without having to worry about the blown fuses I got with C9 bulbs.

Same boat here. I LOVE that I can run my underbar lighting for hours at a crack without worrying about sending the already sky-high winter energy bill even further toward the moon.
The option to change colors, or fade, or dim (something regular fairy lights are typically not set up for) are all awesome as well.
“The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, the effect of which is like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.”

View Profile of Sandbartender Send a personal message to Sandbartender      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Roa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2 days ago; 1:39 pm   Permalink

that Red Skelton plate is lit...i would put that in my chikee hut and eat a cheeseburger off it

View Profile of Tiki Roa Send a personal message to Tiki Roa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2 days ago; 1:43 pm   Permalink

"skewed to the blue end of the spectrum"

When we drive down the road I can see in people houses and see the blue light from the LED bulbs.
I'm kinda a bit freakish when it comes to light bulbs and the glow it makes in the house or even outside, and not just for your tiki bar but everywhere.
I think most people just don't care.

So I can't live with that blue cast, I don't even like a blue painted room, that's just me.

I hope you are right and they have fixed that.

The small Christmas lights for decorating your house is just not for me it can look good on some houses but C9 is true Christmas for me.

I have never blown fuses with my C9s in my 40 years of using them but then if they had that fuse thing in the string I cut that out first thing and put on a new plug.

In fact now I make my own strings of C9 light sets for my house and it is custom to my house and fits just right with sockets that actually work really well.

It costs a bunch at first but is great every year not to mess around with f-ed up lights.

It's all what you like, but damn to regulate certain bulbs out of existence that's nuts.

I am a bit surprised at how people put up with stuff that does not really work that good and how things are supposed to be replaced after four years like computers and phones.
Our parents would have never gone for that.

Old man rant, wonder what the old people in 20 years will be like.

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 07:50 am   Permalink

Skip, I agree. Most people don't pay attention and/or don't care. I like deep blue lights, but those blue-white LEDs were the worst of all worlds. Actually, I've gotten to the point where I hate "warm white" as well. After learning about photography and white balance to assist The Wife in her business, I need something closer to a natural daylight balance to be comfortable. It takes paying attention to the light temperature of the bulbs one buys, which isn't something most people bother with.

One thing the old C9 strings are good for (and they're still available new, so not all of the incandescents have gone away) are wrapping tropical plants in the winter. Pair that with a frost cloth, and my bananas and citrus and (hopefully someday soon) avocados weather freeze events intact. That's not something LEDs can do. Of course, we only have intermittent flirtation with winter here. That's not really a solution for climes further north.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: Yesterday; 09:13 am   Permalink

Yeah I'm sure most people will get used to the LEDs and then hate incandescent lights.
Right about then some do gooder "I'm going to save the world" person will do away with the LEDs just cuz they can.

I used to change lights and rewire all the lights at the OSU campus so I know about the natural daylight balance lights, They used to be called Chroma 50s and were expensive.

Side note I changed a light that was called a Ken-Rad light company light bulb and it looked really old so I asked about it and they told me that company was sold to GE and GE killed Ken-Rad because the bulbs lasted so long and were competion for GE bulbs.

But it's all what you like and I for sure like the more warm light.

There was a study that said blue light Is bad for you.

See the study below is what they will use to ban blue spectrum lights once you get used to the LEDs and make you change to the bulbs from the company that just gave tons of money to their foundation or campaign.

http://www.bluelightexposed.com/#bluelightexposed
"Artificial sources of blue light include electronic devices such as cell phones and laptop computers, as well as energy-efficient fluorescent bulbs and LED lights.

Why should we be concerned about blue light exposure?
Blue light waves are the among the shortest, highest energy wavelengths in the visible light spectrum. Because they are shorter, these "Blue" or High Energy Visible (HEV) wavelengths flicker more easily than longer, weaker wavelengths. This kind of flickering creates a glare that can reduce visual contrast and affect sharpness and clarity.

This flickering and glaring may be one of the reasons for eyestrain, headaches, physical and mental fatigue caused by many hours sitting in front of a computer screen or other electronic device.

Our eyes' natural filters do not provide sufficient protection against blue light rays from the sun, let alone the blue light emanating from these devices or from blue light emitted from fluorescent-light tubes. Prolonged exposure to blue light may cause retinal damage and contribute to age-related macular degeneration, which can lead to loss of vision."

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-12-14 09:20 ]

Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 1:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

There was a study that said blue light Is bad for you.

Heh. Talk about coincidence. I just spoke with a researcher here about a paper pending peer-review publication. I'll spare you the background details and cut to the chase: Common fluorescent lighting triggers genes that contribute to inflammation and autoimmune issues. That's because they just put out a narrow spectrum of light, not the full daylight spectrum which we've evolved under. Other wavelenghts act to deactivate those genese, and vice versa. I didn't think to ask if this applies to incandescent and LED, but I expect it does. The detail they've mapped this out on the genome is kinda astonishing. It'll be published sometime next year, so I expect some degree of hysteria about fluorescent lighting, but really, it's the quality of the light that matters, as opposed to the source. Blue's bad. Violet's bad. Yellow's bad, etc. On their own, that is.

Sorry to derail the thread. I just find this fascinating.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: Today; 05:56 am   Permalink

"Sorry to derail the thread"
That might be on me.

But debate is good I think.
Not having a good alternative that offed incandescent and went with flawed LEDs, and ya gotta think some of the data saying how great they are is skewed to what they want the data to say.

I don't hate decorative deep blue light just that fluorescent or LED blue cast light.
Man fluorescent light, does anybody like fluorescent lighting?

I would like to see more studies on both sides of the kind of new regs and things we are doing BEFORE we put these types of things in place.
The do this crap fast so you don't know the pitfalls before hand.

Like E cigs, they go bat $hit crazy on Cigarettes, raise the age to buy them at the same time they want to legalize pot.

NOW E Cigarettes the alternative to the evil Cigarette is as bad or worse they say.

I don't smoke by the way.

But Electric cars will go down the same path one day I tell ya.
Plus they will NEVER be as cool as a 56 T-bird, Or old Mustang, corvette, Woody, Ford Bronco, ect.

Now that was a derail.

EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 07:30 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-12-13 13:43, tikiskip wrote:
Old man rant, wonder what the old people in 20 years will be like.

Complaining about single-use disposable computers.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation