FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Tiki Events Ľ Ľ California Events Ľ Ľ Selling at tiki shows
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Selling at tiki shows
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-04-27 07:05 am   Permalink

I'm considering selling at a tiki event show. Adding together the vendor fee with the hours of time packing, setting up and vending, I estimate I'll have to sell more then $200 just to break even. Also we'll miss much of the event being stuck at the sales table. I'm curious if vendors feel they earn enough more then their fixed sunk costs to make vending at shows more worthwhile then using online stores or Craigslist ads? And are buyers willing to pay you're asking prices?

View Profile of santa Send a personal message to santa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-27 08:47 am   Permalink

Nice beard.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-05-02 18:05 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-04-27 09:26 am   Permalink

Do you have more feedback then that skip? I'm talking about a local show. Not paying for flights, rental car or hotel

View Profile of santa Send a personal message to santa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-27 11:35 am   Permalink

That thing on your chin.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-05-02 18:07 ]

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-27 12:25 pm   Permalink

I'm not a vendor but have discussed this question with several who do. Some people do VERY well at these events and continue to come back every year. Some people just barely break even but they keep coming back because they enjoy hanging out at their booth talking to people, or they figure the exposure will lead to future sales, or maybe they get a vacation that they can write off as a business expense. Lots of people have decided it wasn't worth the trouble. Depends on too many factors for a simple answer - desirability of your product, expenses, profit margin, what you want to get out an event, etc.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-27 2:53 pm   Permalink

Good points Mike.

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-05-02 18:07 ]

santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-04-30 5:08 pm   Permalink

Skip how much are you in the hole from selling at tiki shows?

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-04-30 5:21 pm   Permalink

?

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-05-02 18:08 ]

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-05-01 04:24 am   Permalink

You can't imagine how great the payoff is for my posting this here on TC.
^^^Sarcasm^^^

[ This Message was edited by: tikiskip 2018-05-02 18:09 ]

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-01 8:29 pm   Permalink

Vending is tough. Some vendors do very well, but IMO it's only the big name people. Most vendors do between just okay to pretty poorly.
If your goal is to sell and make money, you better be sure your product will sell, and has already sold well in the past. Not just optimistic that you'll sell your stuff.
There's a lot of uncounted hours before and after an event, in addition to the hours at the event. If you calculate your hourly pay honestly, you will be depressed.
If you want to go vend to get exposure or just to be at the event and don't mind if you don't make your gas money back, and know that in advance, then you'll be okay and could be pleasantly surprised if you sell a bunch.
I've vended at a few tiki events in the past, including the biggest one, and even though I had selling fees waived and sold a fair amount at them, it wasn't worth all the effort to me.
Bottom line from me is, if your goal is to sell and make money, online is the better way to go.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-02 10:46 am   Permalink

Thanks 4wd tiki. I canít get a wholesale volume discount. I think Iíll need to get that before selling retail in person. At least online I donít pay fees until I sell if I use buy it now. I was looking at the San Diego Bali hai show and the garden grove Orange County show.

santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-02 10:49 am   Permalink

Bill how much do your 2-5 foot tikis sell for?

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-02 8:20 pm   Permalink

santa, my 2' price is $400, 5' is 800.

Tikiskip, I hope it wasn't something I said to cause you to delete your comments?? Please tell me that's not the case, or tell me what I said that caused it. I can't imagine it was my post, but the timing is suspect, so, I gotta wonder...

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-05-03 01:35 am   Permalink

No Bill it was not you.
Your post was a good one.

Being one of the only people to answer "Santa" and then not even thanks I thought he was just a person with no manners till he then thanked you for your help.

It amazes me how many times I have tried to help people here and even in PMs and don't see even a thanks, maybe it should amaze me that I keep doing it.

And your tiki carving pricing would be about one fourth of Bills tiki carving prices as he is well known and very good at it.

Santa stay off my roof.

santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-05 07:25 am   Permalink

Skip I get from your posts youíre bitter about your show selling experiences. Thanks for venting

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation