[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Kai-Lei Tiki Shack
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
Kai-Lei Tiki Shack
TravandTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-04-29 06:08 am   Permalink

Hello Everyone,

I'm a tiki fan from Maine and a long-time reader of the forum. I've been inspired and amazed by so many of the incredible projects on here. So thank you to all! I'm excited to be starting my own project now and plan to chronicle the build on Tiki Central as we go.

Here's a little background on our "Kai-Lei" Tiki Shack. This shack will be 15 by 14 feet on a concrete slab. Next to the shack we'll have a tiki-style pergola, under which we'll (eventually) have a hot tub. The shack will be about 10-15 feet from our pool.

Ideally the shack would be completely enclosed with no windows, to create a true exotic tiki bar feel. But that doesn't work so well with a pool bar. So the idea is that we'll have a few solid doors and a bar service window, all of which can be opened or closed depending on the pool activity and the weather.

The exterior will have a little tiki flare to it, but will basically have siding and shingles to match our house (got to at least try to keep the neighbors happy!).

The interior is a different story. I'm going all out! The style will be a mix of Polynesian Tiki Pop, Hawaiian, and Nautical. I'll have some Disney Adventureland, Caribbean, and Beachcomber theming as well.

As I'm basically useless with tools, I have a builder (I'll call him "Tiki Dave") helping me out, i.e., converting all of my crazy ideas into reality and adding a whole bunch of his own ideas, too. He's super talented, and I feel really lucky to have him on this project.

Here are some pics.

The slab before we got started...

About two days later.

And here we are through early last week. You can see the beginning of the pergola, which will have a style like one of the structures at the Polynesian hotel at Disney World.

Should have the pergola done this week, and then we'll be on to the inside. Can't wait for that!

View Profile of TravandTiki Send a personal message to TravandTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-04-29 07:24 am   Permalink

Welcome to tiki central posting! I dig the shape of that roof. Excited to see where you take this. Good luck!

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-29 08:09 am   Permalink

Looks great so far and I'm looking forward to seeing where it goes!

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-30 05:45 am   Permalink

Great start. Loving that roofline.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravandTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-01 6:59 pm   Permalink

Pergola is pretty well done!

And Tiki Dave is off to a great start inside. You can see the basic layout. A tiki hut within a tiki shack!

View Profile of TravandTiki Send a personal message to TravandTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-01 8:51 pm   Permalink

Excellent progress! I'm really liking how this one is shaping up. That bar looks like a great use of space, and like everyone else, I'm diggin' that roof line!

www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-02 05:28 am   Permalink

Thanks for the new pics. Really digging the Pergola. I really like the way you have combined modern standard finishes with that pergola and the unique roof line. Creative thinking.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-04 07:00 am   Permalink

Sweet
Love the slab to roof builds
Lookin good
Keep posting
Cheers

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravandTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-07 6:15 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the encouraging words! We're having a lot of fun. Dave is making great progress on the inside. Here is a pic of the thatch we have above the bar.

And here is the back bar area, which Dave basically banged out this afternoon. I'm so excited to fill this space with all of my tiki mugs, books, etc.!

Now for the first of what will probably be many questions for you. Does anyone know where I can find some faux palm trees or greenery? We're hoping to create a bit of a jungle feel in the Shack, so I would be grateful for any recommendations you may have. Thank you!

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-08 05:59 am   Permalink

I would start by searching on Amazon believe it or not. They have have nice looking ones if you search "Artificial Palm Trees".

Really like the back bar area. Fun build to watch.

Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-05-08 10:44 pm   Permalink

I’m very jealous of your build. That pergola is great.

To you question about greenery: the Cevolas (Dan and Wendy [TC’s “danlovestikis”]) have a tiki jungle room in their house, and I believe Dan got the leaves, vines, plants, etc., from Michael’s using coupons.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-09 4:25 pm   Permalink

Yep... Sign up for Michael's e-mails... They give loads of coupons all the time and let you know when things are on sale. We get plants from there at an average 40% off. It's a gold mine.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-09 4:34 pm   Permalink

Also keep an aye for artificial tropical plants at your neighborhood Thrift store or Goodwill. I have found all kinds of tropical flowers, trees and greens this way for real cheap.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravandTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-09 6:53 pm   Permalink

Thank you! These are great suggestions. Will keep my eye out!

Here is some of today's progress:

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-09 9:05 pm   Permalink

Lookin good

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation