[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Home Tiki Bars Ľ Ľ Kai-Lei Tiki Shack
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Kai-Lei Tiki Shack
TravandTiki

Posted: 2018-05-25 7:21 pm   Permalink

Hey guys,

Lots of Tiki progress this week. Here are some photos.

I'm so excited for this wall. I'll have all my favorite framed artwork here.

And here's a shot of the ceiling opposite the bar. I like the way Dave mixed the bamboo slats and poles on top of the reed fencing.

We now have the collar tie beam wraps on...

Here is a pic of the bar with a lot of the matting and fencing now up.

And here is a shot from the backside of the bar, looking up at the roof of the hut (within the Shack!).

Can't wait to see what Dave has in store for next week.

In the meantime, hope you all have a great holiday weekend.

View Profile of TravandTiki Send a personal message to TravandTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-05-25 8:06 pm   Permalink

Wow, this is really coming together nicely. Great work guys!

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravandTiki

Posted: 2018-05-29 7:06 pm   Permalink

Hi all, I'm writing to share some questions from Dave regarding treating lauhala matting. Any insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

"Should I spray the matting with thatch safe fire retardant or not and more importantly, should I apply any poly coating on it? And if so, do I brush it on, roll and back brush for bubbles, spray...? The homeowner likes the look of the matting as is so whatever treatment I do, I want to alter the appearance as little as possible. I did already purchase the honey teal wood finish for the bamboo but I donít want to change the color of the matting at all. A test on the bamboo does make it look more rich but deepens the color a little bit. Thanks for any help."

View Profile of TravandTiki Send a personal message to TravandTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravandTiki

Posted: 2018-06-12 6:48 pm   Permalink

Hey Everyone,

A good friend and fellow tiki fan reminded me today that I'm overdue for an update on the Shack. Lots of great progress by Dave over the past two weeks. It's getting so close I can practically taste the Mai Tai when I walk in! Here are some pics.

Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-12 6:57 pm   Permalink

It just keeps getting better!

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-13 07:55 am   Permalink

Really looking great. Love the lashing on the beams and the carved wood look nice.

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-13 08:00 am   Permalink

Nicely done, love it.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hearn

Posted: 2018-06-13 12:55 pm   Permalink

Looking awesome!

View Profile of Hearn Send a personal message to Hearn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube

Posted: 2018-06-13 9:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-05-29 19:06, TravandTiki wrote:
Hi all, I'm writing to share some questions from Dave regarding treating lauhala matting. Any insights you can provide would be greatly appreciated!

"Should I spray the matting with thatch safe fire retardant or not and more importantly, should I apply any poly coating on it? And if so, do I brush it on, roll and back brush for bubbles, spray...? The homeowner likes the look of the matting as is so whatever treatment I do, I want to alter the appearance as little as possible. I did already purchase the honey teal wood finish for the bamboo but I donít want to change the color of the matting at all. A test on the bamboo does make it look more rich but deepens the color a little bit. Thanks for any help."

Didn't see any responses to these questions yet. I sprayed my bac bac matting and reed mats with fire retardant and brushed on Rust-Oleum triple thick poly. My room is a screened area that is somewhat exposed to the elements, though.

Your build is looking great!!

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TravandTiki

Posted: 24 days ago; 8:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks, tikitube!

Really appreciate all the kind words from others, too.

Will add more photos soon!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation