FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Disneyland alert - Marc Davis goes to WED book - Enchanted Tiki Room featured!
Disneyland alert - Marc Davis goes to WED book - Enchanted Tiki Room featured!
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-26 12:06 pm   Permalink

Hi fellow Tiki-philes -

Tangaroa (aka Chris Merritt) here. I don't often post here these days, but I wanted to let those of you up in the Bay Area know about a special event that Pete Docter of Pixar and I are doing at the Walt Disney Family Museum on June 30.

Aimed squarely at fans of Disneyland, our new book (out in 2019) is titled 'Marc Davis goes to WED' - and is the story of Walt's most influential Imagineer and the stories and design ethos behind Marc's involvement in Disney's most beloved theme park attractions. The book will be a 800-page, 2-volume set - and will feature tons of concept art and personal stories of working with Walt, heretofore rarely (or never) seen in print before. Pete and I have been working on this for 4 years now, so I'm pretty excited to get it out there.

Pete and I will be giving a two-hour presentation (with Q and A) in the ILM theater, giving previews of a lot of the book, including rare footage of Marc at work on some of Disney's most classic and loved attractions, including the Jungle Cruise, Pirates of the Caribbean, It's A Small World, The Haunted Mansion and the Enchanted Tiki Room.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BjFqVDpACAB/

Additionally, there is an amazing new exhibit curated by Don Hahn on Walt's original "Nine Old Men" - and if you haven't been, the entire museum is really quite amazing.

Please let me know if you have any questions, and I hope to see you there!

- Chris Merritt

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tangaroa
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-26 12:14 pm   Permalink

Apologies - here's a more direct link to buy tickets:

http://waltdisney.org/education/talks/talk-nine-old-mentors-marc-davis-goes-wed-pete-docter-and-chris-merritt

View Profile of Tangaroa Send a personal message to Tangaroa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-26 9:11 pm   Permalink

That looks amazing... I wish I could go!

The Walt Disney Family Museum is an incredible place as well. About five years ago, my wife and I had a seven hour layover in San Francisco on our way back from Paris, and the WDFM was the one thing we made time to do. Just a fantastic museum.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation