FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Creating Tiki » » Tiki Carving » » Bosch mini -chainsaw? Anyone use one?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Bosch mini -chainsaw? Anyone use one?
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-27 1:36 pm   Permalink

I am wanting to make myself a Witco inspired bar, and have been eyeing the Bosch miniature chain saw as a potential tool. I am a small middle aged gal, so a larger chainsaw is not feasible for me. Do any of you use one- or something similar- for Witco style work? Any tips?

View Profile of Gwen Send a personal message to Gwen  Goto the website of Gwen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
cy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-27 7:48 pm   Permalink

I have not used the mini chainsaw but a dye grinder with a few Kutzall burrs might be a better choice to get that Witco feel.

View Profile of cy Send a personal message to cy  Goto the website of cy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-27 8:32 pm   Permalink

If it's the micro sized one I've been seeing posted on the facebook, I would pass on it. It looks super weak and gimmicky.
I suggest you go find a rental electric chainsaw, at Home Depot etc. they are relatively lightweight and come in different sizes. That way you could try it out without the commitment of buying, and also you can see if carving is for you or not.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-28 2:32 pm   Permalink

This is the one I have in mind. I've seen one demo on youtube, and it looks to be a pretty tough little thing. The sizes that I could actually rent are frankly gonna be scary for a person my size. I weigh 100 pounds and don't have a lot of upper body strength.
I am confident about carving- have carved extensively with hand tools in the past. But for this I want that chainsaw carved look, ala Witco.

View Profile of Gwen Send a personal message to Gwen  Goto the website of Gwen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-05-28 3:03 pm   Permalink

"It looks super weak and gimmicky"

Got that right.
You will burn that tool up.

Carving won't be fun with that.

BUT if you do buy it anyway come back on here and tell us how it worked or didn't.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-28 3:39 pm   Permalink

So is the thing that makes this tool potentially more gimmicky than a die grinder the fact that it is cordless and will quickly run out of juice? Because die grinders are small as well.

I checked Amazon, and loads of people say it is a great little tool that cuts through stuff like butter and holds a charge well.

[ This Message was edited by: Gwen 2018-05-28 15:42 ]

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-28 7:32 pm   Permalink

Well I'm sceptical because it's so tiny! It can't be very strong or durable. But yes, if you get it, report on how it works. How much is it?

My thinking on the rentals is, if you can find a small size, you could handle it. My friend has several Bosch electrics, from small to large. The electric saws are lighter than a gas version. I would at least go look and see what is available, maybe a 12" electric. Actually pick one up and hold it. I think you're too worried about not enough upper body strength.
It's not like you'll need to hold it over your head or anything, all carving will be with your arms hanging down I would imagine. That's how I do it...

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-28 8:47 pm   Permalink

I'll take your advice and at least try holding a small rental before I spring for one of these.
The big thing for me is avoiding kickback.
These little ones run about $200.
Do keep in mind that what a want to carve is the front of a bar- so strictly relief carving, not big free standing stuff. I don't need something with a great deal of power.

4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-28 9:40 pm   Permalink

Is this bar a built-in, or will you be able to lay it down to work on it?

I just googled the specs on that mini Bosch, keep in mind the chain on it is less than a millimeter wide (.9mm). The witco look partially comes from the width of the cuts, probably 1/4" or so, plus they're opened up further from sanding.

Makita is the brand I was thinking of, not Bosch. Look at this one, 12" bar, which is as short as you would really want, and only weighs 9.5 lbs!
About the same price as that mini, and would last much longer and be more versatile.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Makita-11-3-4-in-11-5-Amp-Corded-Electric-Rear-Handle-Chainsaw-5012B/205571957?cm_mmc=Shopping%7CTHD%7Cgoogle%7C&mid=sqSZ0BVWw%7Cdt_mtid_890338a25189_pcrid_139625571026_pkw__pmt__product_205571957_slid_&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz6Kl5Iuq2wIVBcZkCh0dKQLJEAQYBCABEgKTKfD_BwE&dclid=COWKgviLqtsCFYzVZAodoc8JDg

swizzle
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-29 01:09 am   Permalink

That tool does not look suited for carving at all. It looks like something to trim small branches off trees and small hobbyist projects around the home. (After doing a bit of research online it really seems to be nothing more than an 'updated' jigsaw).

As 4WDtiki said, that chain is tiny. How long is it going to last before it needs resharpening or replacing? And looking at the way that it is fitted to the machine it looks like a disposable part where you have to buy the entire thing which i'm sure wouldn't be cheap.

I can understand you not wanting to use a chainsaw because of your physical size but i think you'd be much better off using an angle grinder with some sort of power carving attachment. Although some of those can be dangerous as well (ALL power tools are if not used properly or carefully), if you take things slowly, once you get the hang of how they work you'll be using them quickly, efficiently and most important of all, safely.

View Profile of swizzle Send a personal message to swizzle  Email swizzle Goto the website of swizzle     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-29 07:17 am   Permalink

Sorry, no chainsaw here

Last week I picked up a new die grinder and a new angle grinder

Old ones finally gave out

Got em at harbor freight
(I know, I know, no quality)
broke em both the 1st day
But
2 year warranty will get me a new one any time

I’ll bet a good angle grinder with a couple Kutzall
dish wheels and shaping discs would do the “Witco” thing...

And a Kutzall rotary burr or 2 on a die grinder would help as well

Don’t get me wrong
Any tool can be dangerous
They can kickback
However these are lighter than a chainsaw

Cheers and good luck

Whatever you do
Be sure to post it so we can all see what you decided on and did

Jon

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-29 07:43 am   Permalink

There are "chainsaw" wheels for angle grinders. I've been tempted, but have yet to buy one. Mainly because I have a couple of small chainsaws already. But I'm still tempted.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-29 07:54 am   Permalink

Like 4WD I have the 5012B Makita.
Starts every time, Quiet & light.
I've never had it kick back.
I had the carving bar with the small chain.
I put back on the bar it came with because
I mostly use it for straight cuts.
The more I use chisels the less I use power tools.
That said, I've had it 10 years & would buy another
if I killed it.

Can't wait to see what you make.
I made a Witco style fountain.
It was fun.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-29 3:53 pm   Permalink

Love dat fountain sir

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-06-01 12:10 pm   Permalink

Sorry I didn't see some of these later responses until now.
Ok, you guys have convinced me. I will look into getting an angle grinder instead of the cute little chainsaw.

Also: have an offer to get some lessons on using a small- not mini- chainsaw next month.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation