FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Creating Tiki Tiki Carving Bosch mini -chainsaw? Anyone use one?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Bosch mini -chainsaw? Anyone use one?
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-01 8:39 pm   Permalink

Angle grinders are great, most carvers use them, but please do NOT get a chainsaw wheel for it!! Someone suggested it above, but they are deadly dangerous. Stick with the kutzall wheels that hang10 mentioned and you'll be okay.
A really good addition to the angle grinder is a router speed control unit. Lets you slow it down to any speed you want instead of either 13,000 rpm or off. Less burning and more control.
Cheap ones at Harbor freight are fine, mine has lasted years.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-02 06:07 am   Permalink

Good point Bill.
I tell any one who cares to listen,
"Don't bother with an angle grinder
if you don't get a controller."
All you will do is burn up sand paper.

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheBigT
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-02 08:18 am   Permalink

I have to echo 4WD and Will. Get a speed control for it. I don't have one, but should have bought one years ago. They have a lot of torque and can be super dangerous because you are so much closer to the blade. I try to limit my movements while it's on. For example, if I have to move to a different position, or move to the other side of the piece I will turn it off first and let it stop spinning. I've only had one small accident with it and that was moving from a standing position to a crouching position while it was on. Bad idea.

I do have a carving blade for mine called a "Bad Blade". These are available on Amazon. It's basically a saw blade. I don't know that it's any safer than the chainsaw type wheels you can get for an angle grinder, but it's the one I've chosen. It makes less dust than the Galahad type spiked wheels. And maybe it lasts longer? Dont know for sure.

For sanding at about 50 grit I use a Kutzall brand carbide wheel that has a flatter surface than the round shaped ones.

Good luck! Please report back!

View Profile of TheBigT Send a personal message to TheBigT  Goto the website of TheBigT     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-06-08 09:39 am   Permalink

I am wondering if any of you who use an angle grinder for caring might post some photos of the work you have done? Best yet would be a video. The vids of people carving with angle grinders on youtube show people using them to make bowls and such, but nothing very detailed.
I am considering just getting myself some hand tools, but if I think I can pull off detail with an angle grinder....

View Profile of Gwen Send a personal message to Gwen  Goto the website of Gwen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-06-08 2:10 pm   Permalink

"but if I think I can pull off detail with an angle grinder...."

Well you can't kind of.
The best thing for you would be to see how many different tools the good carvers have.
Or how many different tools they use for one tiki.

There is one you will find is good for the rough shaping, that's going to be the chain saw or angle grinder or both really.

THEN when you get to the finer details that might be a smaller Dremel type tool or hand tools, or both.

Guys know this because we buy ALL these tools and find out from using them what ones work and what ones don't.

A tool that you may love others might hate.
But you need good tools and that mini chain saw is not a good one.

You need to just do it, start carving.

Another good way to learn is to watch a good carver or carve along side of one.

Good luck...

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-08 7:15 pm   Permalink

In my limited experience working with a grinder, I've found it's best suited to removing and smoothing large areas, rather than doing detail work. That said, I am working with 4 & 7 inch wheels. Smaller grinders would be better suited to smaller work, of course. Personally, I like working with hand tools a lot more than power tools - even though the power tools save a LOT of time and elbow grease.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
4WDtiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-08 8:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-08 09:39, Gwen wrote:

I am considering just getting myself some hand tools, but if I think I can pull off detail with an angle grinder....

The only way you could get detail with an angle grinder is if the tiki is 20' tall! Then the "details" would be on a large scale. A 4" disc shape doesn't fit into tight spaces or corners that a smaller carving has.
That said, it's a very useful tool. But you'll still need hand tools, i.e. chisels. Even if it's just ONE chisel. You could get waaay more detail with a single 1" or 2" flat chisel from Home Depot than you ever could with a grinder.

View Profile of 4WDtiki Send a personal message to 4WDtiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-06-09 12:17 pm   Permalink

The only reason I haven't just gone ahead and gotten hand tools is because I am after a Witco look, and those were all done with a chain saw.... but I want to do something relatively detailed, like Witco's top of the line tiki bar....

I do think I am just gonna get some hand tools. It will be a lot more fun.

View Profile of Gwen Send a personal message to Gwen  Goto the website of Gwen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-10 05:24 am   Permalink

When asked,
"what do I carve with"?
I tell them It starts with a chain saw &
ends with sand paper.
Chain saw removes wood fast.
Angle grinder smoothes wood quickly & EZ-ly.
The shape of a chisel cuts wood in that shape.
Sand paper softens wood edges.
Stain colors wood.
Faux finish high lights & shades details.

By this time they're sorry they asked.

It's time to stop talking &
start chipping.

BTW I also made a Witco style ottoman
to match this Witco chair

[ This Message was edited by: Will carve 2018-06-10 05:45 ]

View Profile of Will carve Send a personal message to Will carve      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-06-10 5:00 pm   Permalink

Hey, Will Carve! I love your Witco style chair. I assume that is cedar?

I would dearly love to make some chairs in addition to my bar... am working on setting up a bit of a wood shop in my garage, but don't want to get into territory where I need a planer... what is your set up? Would you consider showing a shot of your shop? What kind of joints do you use, and how to you cut them? Table saw and router?

I assume you did the rough cut of the back of the chair on a band saw?

[ This Message was edited by: Gwen 2018-06-10 17:03 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Gwen 2018-06-10 17:13 ]

Will carve
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-12 3:01 pm   Permalink

I made the ottoman not the chair.
The chair is a real deal Witco.

No fancy shop here.
I carve in my driveway.

One more thing.
Tools are important.
Having the right tool makes you shine.
However,
the magic is in the hands more than the tool.

Gwen
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-06-14 5:42 pm   Permalink

Well, all the better and more inspiring to know you do it all in your driveway.
Thanks!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation