FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Bahi Hut Rebirth Thread.
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Bahi Hut Rebirth Thread.
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-30 07:53 am   Permalink

The Hut is on the right track, thanks in no small part to the folks here that made their voices known. The restoration continues. Today's news:

http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20180530/rebirth-of-bahi-hut-lounge-tiki-bar-in-sarasota

Robotiki
Mira Mar League

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-05-30 08:24 am   Permalink

BIG thumbs up for the efforts of so many and the great results!

I won't mention that on my last visit I took pics of the very plain mens room having read here that it was going to be remodeled...... I will blame the cocktails and the good times for my heinously nerdy behavior. Liz was very proud of the place, all the progress that's been made, and where they're going with all the improvements.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-30 08:42 am   Permalink

The bathrooms are next. I have tapped Kymm Bang to do the artwork for the revamped bathrooms. It will be a couple months more but we are getting there.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League

View Profile of robotiki Send a personal message to robotiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-30 11:04 am   Permalink

Just read the latest article. It's great when a wider audience recognizes a labor of love! I sincerely hope my travels take me to the Bahi Hut to see the great restoration you've helped bring about!
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GianFU
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-05-30 12:10 pm   Permalink

I like the name Kymm Bang..... I am sure that the Restroom Restoration will be another success....

ERIC . . . =8-|<

- - Let no man deny the force of TonRu-Tiki ! !

- - Seeking Island Life in the Las Vegas Lights...

View Profile of GianFU Send a personal message to GianFU  Email GianFU     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-05-30 1:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-05-30 08:42, robotiki wrote:
I have tapped Kymm Bang to do the artwork for the revamped bathrooms.

Oh, cool! We just picked up some of her stuff last week! I'm sure she'll come up with something suitably unique and whimsical!
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-05-30 9:47 pm   Permalink

A very positive article, I agree, and some good photos, too. Great work.

Scott, over on the “clown tiki” thread, you mentioned a final post there since to clown tiki crisis is over. Still, I think tracking the transformation in one place is a good idea, and this is as good a thread as any. Perhaps we could link to all the other Bahi Hut threads in one post here for posterity?

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-04 07:29 am   Permalink

A local cable access show came for our Seista Key Rum Thursday last week. Here's their piece:

https://www.facebook.com/129589630816230/videos/vb.129589630816230/448978285544028/?type=2&theater

Robotiki
Mira Mar League

howlinowl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-04 2:00 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-04 07:29, robotiki wrote:
A local cable access show came for our Seista Key Rum Thursday last week. Here's their piece:

https://www.facebook.com/129589630816230/videos/vb.129589630816230/448978285544028/?type=2&theater

Cool video. I almost made it to the Bai Hai (and planned to hit the Trader Vic's they had, also) a few years ago when I had to go to Sarasota to pick up a XJS I purchased on ebay. Rented a Uhaul to drive out there empty (cheaper than a rental car) and called the guy to pick me up at the uhaul place. Unfortunately, the car wasn't ready and I had to sit at the shop with no wheels for 6 hours while they finished it up and was unable to make it to the Hut. Wish I had, it'd be interesting to compare then and now. I got to try to find a reason to get out that way again.

What can you tell us about the "theme song"? Almost sounds like a vintage radio spot? If so, would you happen to know the year?

howlinowl

View Profile of howlinowl Send a personal message to howlinowl      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-11 09:36 am   Permalink

[/quote]

What can you tell us about the "theme song"? Almost sounds like a vintage radio spot? If so, would you happen to know the year?

[/quote]

It is their radio spot which has the distinction of being the most continuously run radio spot in radio history. I don't have the exact figures but it ran at least 35 years straight. We revived it and run it again now.

Here it is:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=schqoRwU4dU

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[ This Message was edited by: robotiki 2018-06-13 07:44 ]

robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-18 07:56 am   Permalink

With the completion of the painting, the refurbished fiberglass panels reinstalled and the new roof, the exterior portion of the Hut is at a good place as we move our attention inside to redo the bathrooms next. The exterior can fend for itself now during the monsoon season about to commence.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League

littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-19 06:33 am   Permalink

Really looking great!

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-26 07:44 am   Permalink

The torches are lit! After years of not working, the iconic torches on our sign are flaming again! We have retrofitted our original torch heads with newer technology to make them light again. We still intend to do a full restoration of the sign, which will cost many thousands of dollars and will be quite an extensive project to begin next year. But the most important part is the torches flicker again!

https://www.facebook.com/BahiHut/videos/vb.511181388953688/2066364180102060/?type=2&theater&comment_id=2066533836751761&notif_t=video_comment&notif_id=1530024908034176

Robotiki
Mira Mar League of Extraordinary Gentlemen

[ This Message was edited by: robotiki 2018-06-26 07:56 ]

robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-28 11:27 am   Permalink

For those that have lamented the lack of authentic tiki cocktails at the Bahi Hut, those days are over. We have started tweaking the menu and have replaced two of the drinks with two new drinks, hand crafted with fresh fruit and ingredients and both featuring locally made Siesta Key Rum. The first is the Cobra's Fang, a pretty accurate version of Don the Beachcomber's original recipe. The second is the Bahi Welcome, our version of the Caribe Welcome, using Siesta Key Toasted Coconut rum which is quite yummy. They are selling well, but the jet fuel mai tai still outperforms all others at the Hut so it'll stay. Watch as we drop other under performers and replace them with authentic cocktails....

Robotiki
Mira Mar League

robotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-18 11:31 am   Permalink

Two weeks ago I was speaking with the owners at Siesta Key Rum about our new partnership and they asked what else they could do for us. I said" How about a neon sign so I can get rid of the stupid beer sign".

Today he sent me this that he had made up for us.

Robotiki
Mira Mar League

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation