FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ General Tiki Ľ Ľ Finding tiki bars in a post Critiki era?
Finding tiki bars in a post Critiki era?
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-01 12:35 pm   Permalink

I used to use Critiki as my go to when looking for tiki bars while travelling. It seems that Critiki isn't being maintained any more though unfortunately. (I've tried for at least 6 months to add in 5 new bars covering 3 different cities, and haven't received a response. And I can't be the only one trying to add in these bars either.)

How do you all find new tiki bars to hit these days? Random chance? Word of mouth? Internet sleuthing?

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-06-01 7:54 pm   Permalink

True, Humu hasnít added any locations in over a year (and hasnít posted to Critiki News since last November); still, I donít think itís too obsolete yet. Most things listed there as in existence are so, or their current status can be confirmed by an Internet search, so Critiki remains my source for new-to-me tiki places.

When it comes to new-in-general places, ones that have opened their doors for the first time within the past 18 months, thatís a different story. Some of us have been posting here about new places, so I also do a TC search (or ask here) before traveling. And it was just internet dumb luck that I found out about Hidden Idol in Denver a year ago (which I then added to the Locating Tiki forum for the benefit of others).

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TIKIWAGON
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-02 08:35 am   Permalink

A shame i always used this too and tried to add our home bar too but no luck yet, At least i can see a lot of older locations that are already on here

View Profile of TIKIWAGON Send a personal message to TIKIWAGON  Email TIKIWAGON Goto the website of TIKIWAGON     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-04 4:24 pm   Permalink

Good news! She's back!

https://news.critiki.com/2018/06/04/its-time-to-oil-critikis-joints/

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cutcarefullyplayloud
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-06-05 10:29 am   Permalink

Hooray! Critiki was one of my entry points to Tiki, i'm so glad it's not going anywhere.

View Profile of Cutcarefullyplayloud Send a personal message to Cutcarefullyplayloud      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jeff Bannow
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-05 10:49 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-04 16:24, TikiHardBop wrote:
Good news! She's back!

https://news.critiki.com/2018/06/04/its-time-to-oil-critikis-joints/

That's great news!

View Profile of Jeff Bannow Send a personal message to Jeff Bannow      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 15 days ago; 02:39 am   Permalink

Has the Y review site made critiki obsolete?

View Profile of santa Send a personal message to santa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 15 days ago; 4:43 pm   Permalink

If you mean Yelp, then no, I donít think so. Critiki has a specific (niche?) audience. The reviews there are by people who get ďtiki,Ē so I trust them more than some bozo on Yelp. Plus, Itís still a nice record of places that no longer exist.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
santa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 15 days ago; 6:32 pm   Permalink

The same people that use any review site use both the y that shall not be named and critiki.

View Profile of santa Send a personal message to santa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HopeChest
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 14 days ago; 11:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-07-01 02:39, santa wrote:
Has the Y review site made critiki obsolete?

The Y review site made itself obsolete so long ago that I have absolutely no idea why ANYONE would refer to it for anything aside from hours and address.

View Profile of HopeChest Send a personal message to HopeChest      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation