[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Paper vs Plastic
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Paper vs Plastic
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-06-26 3:31 pm   Permalink

Pixy stix

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-06-27 05:42 am   Permalink

Or real bamboo.

Don't really use many straws for our Mai Tais especially.
It takes your nose too far away from the mint.

Coon Tiki was a carving event in Tenn....

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Pelorus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-06-29 8:19 pm   Permalink

Ugh. I totally understand why paper straws are used instead of plastic. I consider myself an environmentalist, but I HATE paper straws. They get soggy and then wilt or break in half. Not to mention the taste of cardboard with the drink.

Interesting about the silicone straws. I think I'll order a set and try them out. Every time I open the drawer to get a plastic straw I feel a little bad about something so disposable after a use. Even the swizzle sticks I have can be washed and used again.

Not giving up the paper umbrellas. Sorry Earth.

View Profile of Pelorus Send a personal message to Pelorus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-06-30 04:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-29 20:19, Pelorus wrote:

No worries if they're made in the US. I live in a huge pulp, paper, and cardboard producing region of the county. We have millions of acres of pine trees grown to make paper and other wood products. Every tree which is cut down to make something generates a new order to plant a new tree in its place. Paper product raw materials are renewable. That's how the mills stay in business over the long term. Sure, making things from trees takes energy, just like making things out of plastic does. But the raw materials are re-planted and re-grown to be harvested over something like a 15 or 20 year cycle.

But, realistically, paper umbrellas are very likely made overseas where the same practices are not necessarily employed. Now I feel stupid for posting this. Ha...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SoBeTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-01 7:34 pm   Permalink

Strawless in Seattle
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-nation/wp/2018/07/01/seattle-becomes-first-major-u-s-city-to-ban-straws/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.fab7a1ed1258

View Profile of SoBeTiki Send a personal message to SoBeTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robojoe

Posted: 2018-07-02 04:14 am   Permalink

I recently found these straws made from stalks of grass. They're fully biodegradable, won't get soft in a drink and don't have leave a taste. If you're looking for a disposable straw, this is a great option. Of course there are always metal straws, which is what I use most. You just have to make sure to clean them really well.

https://www.haystraws.com

View Profile of robojoe Send a personal message to robojoe      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-02 05:33 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-07-02 04:14, robojoe wrote:
I recently found these straws made from stalks of grass. They're fully biodegradable, won't get soft in a drink and don't have leave a taste. If you're looking for a disposable straw, this is a great option. Of course there are always metal straws, which is what I use most. You just have to make sure to clean them really well.

https://www.haystraws.com

Excellent find. Paper straws just aren't an option for me because they are so distracting to the drinker as they get soggy. These sound like they are much more durable without being distracting.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-02 05:39 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-27 05:42, tikiskip wrote:
<snip>
Don't really use many straws for our Mai Tais especially.
It takes your nose too far away from the mint.
<snip>

For that exact reason I use straws in two lengths -- "shorties" and "longies" -- I came up with those names myself......

Pelorus
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-02 09:51 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-06-30 04:51, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2018-06-29 20:19, Pelorus wrote:

No worries if they're made in the US.

But, realistically, paper umbrellas are very likely made overseas where the same practices are not necessarily employed. Now I feel stupid for posting this. Ha...

When my current bag runs out, I'll be mindful of looking at production origin. Not sure where the ones I have are from.

View Profile of Pelorus Send a personal message to Pelorus      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2018-07-02 1:30 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-07-02 09:51, Pelorus wrote:
When my current bag runs out, I'll be mindful of looking at production origin. Not sure where the ones I have are from.

Cool, no worries. Fortunately tiki drink making is not the biggest contributor to the global plastic waste stream because we have a strong tendency to use natural leafy and vegetable garnishes with toothpicks and bamboo skewers to hold it all together. Our garnishes are sometimes much more challenging than the drinks themselves.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 26 days ago; 12:23 pm   Permalink

And another article, but this time claiming that plastic straws are not as bad as cigarette butts.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/plastic-straws-cigarette-butts-are-the-worst-ocean-pollutants/ar-BBMut4b

arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 26 days ago; 4:36 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-08-27 12:23, AceExplorer wrote:
And another article, but this time claiming that plastic straws are not as bad as cigarette butts.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/plastic-straws-cigarette-butts-are-the-worst-ocean-pollutants/ar-BBMut4b

And it's very difficult to drink a cocktail through a cigarette butt.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation