[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars A Tiki Outpost in New Hampshire
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
A Tiki Outpost in New Hampshire
KonaBrad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-19 4:54 pm   Permalink

Greetings All,

I've been a lurker for a very long time, but it's time to reveal my home tiki bar. A bit of background on me - I've loved tiki since I was a kid as we stayed at The Polynesian Village at Walt Disney World. It's still my favorite hotel anywhere. I have always wanted to have a tiki room and have finally created the space after years of collecting. I hope you enjoy seeing the construction pics and transformation of a boring basement into a tropical hideaway heavily based on Trader Sam's. Thank you to everyone on here for your inspiration and passion in your projects.

View Profile of KonaBrad Send a personal message to KonaBrad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KonaBrad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-19 5:11 pm   Permalink

Okay so here are the beginnings of what I had to work with. A basement with some of my tikis hanging on the wall awaiting a home. I forgot how bright it was down there with the fluorescent lighting.

View Profile of KonaBrad Send a personal message to KonaBrad      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KonaBrad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-19 5:23 pm   Permalink

Now my basement is large, but I wanted a cozy tiki bar. Plus, filling the basement with more tiki finds would cost a fortune. My first step was to put up matting on a half wall which didn't turn out as I liked so I changed it later. The second step was to put up a divider wall. I chose to leave an open entry way at the edge of the wall to allow heat from the furnace to fill the room during the winter. In the middle of the wall is the space for a window I ended up creating. The painting used in the window is from the Polynesian.

KonaBrad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-19 8:09 pm   Permalink

The window construction was actually easier than I thought. The bamboo came out great and I was happy with the results.

KonaBrad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-19 8:57 pm   Permalink

Next up shelves full of items mostly found in Trader Sam's. I also added flooring which came out nice and never had any problems with the winter.

KonaBrad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-19 9:03 pm   Permalink

Now it was time to begin with the wallpaper. The installation of the first tiki light was also a nice change. One other addition was beginning construction of the ceiling beams.

[ This Message was edited by: KonaBrad 2018-07-19 21:35 ]

KonaBrad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-19 9:47 pm   Permalink

Next up more lighting, ceiling details, and decorations. I also corrected the wall which would be behind the bar.

KonaBrad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-19 9:59 pm   Permalink

The changes continue and the bar begins to take shape.

Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-07-19 10:15 pm   Permalink

Welcome back, Brad! Thanks for sharing your space; it looks great!

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-19 11:07 pm   Permalink

Looking good Brad. Really good! How did you hide the pvc drainpipe in the corner behind the bar?
That window in the new wall is awesome. Anxious to see mo pix. Have you thought about a name-Tiki Bar has been taken and your place deserves a great name
Good luck and Mahalo for sharing.

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
littlegiles
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-07-20 07:57 am   Permalink

Nice work! Loving the "window" and all the little details. Great job!

View Profile of littlegiles Send a personal message to littlegiles  Email littlegiles     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-07-20 9:33 pm   Permalink

Hey, fellow Polynesian Resort kid turned Tikiphile! Your place looks fantastic! Like everyone else, I'm enamored by that window you built in the wall. The bamboo framing around it really makes it pop. I also dig that pattern on the front of your bar.

Keep it going!

Jeff

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikifrog
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-20 10:36 pm   Permalink

Love it, Looks inviting.

View Profile of Tikifrog Send a personal message to Tikifrog      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KonaBrad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-21 3:03 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Thanks for the compliments everyone, it means a lot! I've been away for a few days in order to finally make the trek out to Oceanic Arts. Leroy and Bob could not have been nicer. I bought more items from them that will be appearing in the bar shortly. Met some great tiki fans as well. Also, I visited Disneyland again with stops at The Enchanted Tiki Room and Trader Sam's. One thing I noticed is the improved audio quality at the attraction, loved it.

Quote:

On 2018-07-19 23:07, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
How did you hide the pvc drainpipe in the corner behind the bar?
Have you thought about a name-Tiki Bar has been taken and your place deserves a great name

The PVC pipe is a radon reduction system that is part of living in the Granite State. It has to be accessible, so what I did was make a 3 sided column that can easily be removed. I used lightweight barn wood for that one.

I'm thinking of naming the bar Trader Mercury's Secret Outpost, but I"m still debating that. She's the evil cat that runs by household but loves hanging out in the bar.

Thanks again for your comments everyone, but now it's time for more pics...

KonaBrad
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-07-21 3:12 pm   Permalink

Since it's a basement bar, the lights hang low. A problem was how to deal with one of the large lights. I stuck the fake palm tree underneath it knowing it was temporary until I got the furniture.

Once I bought the tables and chairs, the low lighting issue was solved. I moved the tree to the side. It finally felt more like a finished bar.

I installed a black light behind the bar to light up the leis. Looks much better in person.

And the window with the new seating area.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation