[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Mariner Mike's Below Decks
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Mariner Mike's Below Decks
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-18 08:21 am   Permalink

Great job on the light floats, looking forward to more pictures.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mariner Mike

Posted: 9 days ago; 10:48 am   Permalink

Ahoy!
It feels like it's been a while, but finally I'm out of the desert that is wiring! The outlet circuit has been run.
I spent so many evenings screwing in boxes, twisting on wire nuts, and manhandling copper wires that my hands were just shy of mutiny.
There are two GFCI protected outlets under the bar, two between the bar and the door, and one on the far side of the bar. The two immediately either side of the bar are on a switch because plug in lights are going to go there. The gfci ones and the one closest to the door aren't because they will have appliances hooked up.
Here's a few pictures:

I really like the way the sheathed cable looks along the stone, it's got a kind of remote outpost vibe going on.
So then there was the moment of truth. I turned off the main breaker, unscrewed the cover, figure out where I can hook the neutral and ground to. Put the breaker in, throw the main switch, and then the new one, and POP. I about had a heart attack, but then I realized it was just the GFCI reset. Button must've been halfway in when it got installed. I reset it, and voila!.

The outlets worked. It's been a couple nights since, I've been checking on it and no issues after that first scare.

On to the plumbing next, then furniture and the promised land of decorating!

To make up for the light amount of photos this update, I'll end on a few shots of Luau Laura and I visiting Three Dots and Lost Lake on our trip to Chicago a couple weeks ago. Cheers!

View Profile of Mariner Mike Send a personal message to Mariner Mike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 07:36 am   Permalink

Great to see the wiring went through without (much of) a hitch! Electrical work always gets me jittery, since it's not my forte. We had an electrician come in to connect the mini split AC for The Wife's photo studio. I'd done all the other wiring for it (converted garage). The electrician came down from the attic space and asked me who did all the wiring.

"Here we go," I thought. "He's going to ream me for all sorts of mistakes." Instead, he told me it was a very good job and he doesn't normally see them that thorough. What a relief!

That conduit does look pretty cool on the rock wall (which, in and of itself, is fantastic). Do you have any plans to give the conduit a patina of age? Rust it up with strategically applied paint? Regardless, I'm eager to see the next phase of your build.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mariner Mike

Posted: 5 days ago; 05:46 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-10-15 07:36, Prikli Pear wrote:
Great to see the wiring went through without (much of) a hitch! Electrical work always gets me jittery, since it's not my forte. We had an electrician come in to connect the mini split AC for The Wife's photo studio. I'd done all the other wiring for it (converted garage). The electrician came down from the attic space and asked me who did all the wiring.

"Here we go," I thought. "He's going to ream me for all sorts of mistakes." Instead, he told me it was a very good job and he doesn't normally see them that thorough. What a relief!

That conduit does look pretty cool on the rock wall (which, in and of itself, is fantastic). Do you have any plans to give the conduit a patina of age? Rust it up with strategically applied paint? Regardless, I'm eager to see the next phase of your build.

Thanks!

Yeah, I went in to the wiring very confident, but I did develop some jitters over time. Everything about the logic of the wiring made sense to me, and I had checked all of it against the black and decker home wiring book (heartily recommended, it showed me exactly what I needed to do). I got started and quickly realized that there was a lot I didn't know, mostly about size and type boxes, wire clamps and wire nuts. I had triple checked what I needed as far as the wire itself, the right gauge for the amperage, making sure I hooked the right wires for the fixtures etc, but in retrospect I underestimated how potentially complicated the actual assembly could be. There was definitely a point in the middle where I was worried I'd really messed something up, and to make sure I went back and double checked my work, most especially the grounding.

I hadn't had any thoughts of aging the conduit! It's a good idea. I think I'll hold off for now though. In the dimmer lighting and with the rest of the furniture put in I'm hoping it won't stand out too much, but if it does I'll definitely remember the suggestion. Maybe even just some very thinned down reddish brown paint to darken it up.

View Profile of Mariner Mike Send a personal message to Mariner Mike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 5 days ago; 06:15 am   Permalink

One way to do that is to build a "knee wall" this is a wall that bumps out about four inches the width of a 4x4 and about 4 feet tall then put all that electric behind the Knee wall.

Then you have a four or even six inch wide cap that goes on top of the Knee wall that serves as a nice small ledge or shelf for drinks or even your mug collection to sit on.
This wall also helps to break up the stone and would allow for some bamboo or even old barn wood on the lower part of your wall.

Just another way to do it.
With that wall mounted Metal Clad Armored Cable being so low this maybe a code violation as a person could hook up on it and pull it out of the wall by mistake.
Code can be kinda over safe like that.
But that would not be an issue till you sell the house.

Good luck on your build.

Here is a Knee wall on the outside of our house we put in.
This one is reverse of what you would have, that is stone on the bottom and wood on top.

¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤Let Tikiskip light up your Halloween¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤
________________________________________________________________________________

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 5 days ago; 11:59 am   Permalink

"According to NEC Article 330.30, MC cable must be supported and secured at intervals of 6 feet or less (unless routed through a framing member) and cables containing four or fewer conductors sized no larger than 10 AWG must be secured within 12 inches of every termination."

Looks like you are good on that one.

"Where not subject to physical abuse, Type MC Cables are permitted to be installed as service, feeder, and branch circuit cables for lighting, power, control, and signaling circuits."

Who knows what they call "not subject to physical abuse" but this is the one I was thinking about.

https://www.ecmag.com/section/systems/review-metal-clad-cable-requirements

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mariner Mike

Posted: 5 days ago; 1:09 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the research Tikiskip. I tried to follow code best I could but I'm not an expert by any means.

There are a handful of outlets in my house wired with exposed metal clad cable due to exposed brick walls, and the inspector didn't have any issue with them. Of course, there may well be a reason I'm not aware of why one might work and another not, and I'd defer to those who know more than I on that.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 02:51 am   Permalink

Glad it was not a problem.
But then our inspector was ok with a electric panel under our kitchen sink, that can't be ok.

I'm sure they will not ok it when we go to sell.

"I'm not aware of why one might work and another not,"
All it takes is one lose wire, pop out the outlet and check.
I never use those holes in the back of the outlet but wrap the wire around the screw instead.

One other thing that can happen is they ring the copper wire when they strip off the coating and that breaks lose after time.

Turn off the circuit before you look at it.

I used to be an electrician of sorts at OSU.

Mariner Mike

Posted: 4 days ago; 08:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-10-17 02:51, tikiskip wrote:
Glad it was not a problem.
But then our inspector was ok with a electric panel under our kitchen sink, that can't be ok.

When I bought the house apparently both the city inspector and the inspector I hired somehow missed the fact that the contractor renovating the house had stuck heavy gauge wires where the meter was supposed to be and covered it with cardboard (outdoors) so as to avoid the power bill. Power company was very confused when I called up to switch the account to my name. They had to send a guy out to fix it. Downside is I have a power bill but much, much better that than the god only knows what sorts of safety issues could have arisen.

Other side of the fence I've had inspectors in at my workplace (not in the construction or contracting field but for spaces we were having work done on) take tape measures to measure the distance between a toilet and the TP roll for ADA and and halt construction for months based on fire code questions that turned out to be ok. That's their job and inconvenience is preferable to injury. But it all goes to show there are definitely all sorts out there conducting inspections.

MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 2:32 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-10-17 08:08, Mariner Mike wrote:
Other side of the fence I've had inspectors in at my workplace (not in the construction or contracting field but for spaces we were having work done on) take tape measures to measure the distance between a toilet and the TP roll for ADA and and halt construction for months based on fire code questions that turned out to be ok. That's their job and inconvenience is preferable to injury. But it all goes to show there are definitely all sorts out there conducting inspections.

I can't tell you how many times I've fallen off the commode at work while reaching for the toilet paper. Of course it usually happened after I'd been drinking heavily in the Yellow Liver Room (former conference room converted to a bar), but it's a still a very serious issue.

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sandbartender

Posted: 4 days ago; 2:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-10-17 08:08, Mariner Mike wrote:

When I bought the house apparently both the city inspector and the inspector I hired somehow missed the fact that the contractor renovating the house had stuck heavy gauge wires where the meter was supposed to be and covered it with cardboard (outdoors) so as to avoid the power bill. Power company was very confused when I called up to switch the account to my name. They had to send a guy out to fix it. Downside is I have a power bill but much, much better that than the god only knows what sorts of safety issues could have arisen.

Wow! I can't imagine the hell that would break loose once rain or animals got to the mains.

The bar is looking fantastic so far. I love the rock wall. It's a really great look.

View Profile of Sandbartender Send a personal message to Sandbartender      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 4 days ago; 3:33 pm   Permalink

"If anyone has any suggestions I'd love to hear them."

Ok you asked for it.

"Right now we're in the middle of running electric so I can replace the exposed bulb fixtures with something more suitable to the mood"

Ok so bag those fixtures altogether and put outlets where the light fixtures were.
So I think that will give you 6 outlets on your ceiling, Right?

Now you run extension cords to other hanging fixtures, These will need to hang on the sides near the walls due to low ceilings.

AND run four extension cords to down lights that shine a spot beam on the wall you can get amber bulbs or other colors, I would also think about putting a dimmer on these down lights.
They used to sell inline dimers you put right on the cord.

So what this does is light the room with a wash of light that comes from that wall.
You could put four cool Bosco tiki masks on that wall with lights
If you have dimers you can crank up the light for cleaning or task lighting.

Also add lamps and other up lighting behind tiki, plus hanging lights too, Pendant lights over the bar give out great light, heck even picture lights for wall art these can be found at a thrift stores for not much this light will also bounce back into the room.

The quick I have no money and am tired of working on this way is candles, till you get all the lighting you want candles are a fast way to get some light all over your room.

BUT look at it this way a tiki bars light does not come from just one or four lights, it comes from MANY small watt lights with a low glow to put small amounts of light over the whole room.

Good luck.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 3 days ago; 05:38 am   Permalink

Here is a light that may work for down and even up lighting.
And below is an image of what your wall may look like with the down lights, just add Bosco.

Also if you look at the pic of Three Dots with the skull wall they light that wall with harsh angles and that gives cool shadows on the skulls.
also that blue light bounces off of the wall and lights the hallway.

You could have blue light going up and yellow lights going down your wall, Moody.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-7-5-Spotlight-Accent-Lamp-Black-Finish/21881768?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227015795188&wl0=&wl1=s&wl2=c&wl3=40931240312&wl4=pla-78862930592&wl5=9014879&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=8175035&wl11=online&wl12=21881768&wl13=&veh=sem&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI7qSNjP2P3gIVy0oNCh1VDQpFEAQYBCABEgIhKPD_BwE

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation