FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Home Tiki Bars Ľ Ľ Mariner Mike's Below Decks [Completed!]
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Mariner Mike's Below Decks [Completed!]
Sandbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 15 days ago; 11:14 am   Permalink

Congratulations on the big opening, everything looks FANTASTIC! From the happy looks on everyone's faces I'd say you definitely stuck the landing.
What a great way to ring in the new year.

View Profile of Sandbartender Send a personal message to Sandbartender      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mariner Mike

Posted: 15 days ago; 11:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2019-01-02 10:54, Commodore wrote:
Well done! That has to be an overwhelmingly satisfying feeling - getting the bar open! The place looks great - I love the coffee table with the use of a teak boat grate - can tell that the room has a great feel!

Thanks! That piece, along with the hatch cover tables and the white leather chair I completely lucked into. They were all left behind by the previous owners in the shore house I had originally set up the bar in! They helped me discover the tone I wanted to go for.

View Profile of Mariner Mike Send a personal message to Mariner Mike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cutcarefullyplayloud
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 15 days ago; 12:12 pm   Permalink

My god man, that is wonderful! It's a good thing I wasn't one of those friends of yours, i would've just set up and never left. Many kudos.

View Profile of Cutcarefullyplayloud Send a personal message to Cutcarefullyplayloud      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 1:19 pm   Permalink

Completed! What a great milestone to reach, congratulations. The finished look is great, and you will never regret going through the extra work to make a working wet bar. If you can sneak an ice machine under the counter, do it! Love the barrel story and even more so the rolling barrel pictures! Great job all the way around. I hope you post future party pics and changes.

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf  Email W8N2Surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 8:56 pm   Permalink

Congratulations Mike! I have to agree with your friends--you really outdid yourself. The Below Decks is what I consider to be the Platonic Ideal of a dark, mysterious home tiki bar. You'll certainly add to it as the years progress, but it is fantastic as-is.

Someday, if the mood takes you, you might consider rubbing down those old rum barrels with boiled linseed oil. While they're protected inside, that wood's been subjected to a lot over the decades. Best to shore it up as much as possible to preserve it for years to come.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 15 days ago; 10:22 pm   Permalink

Looks wonderful. Excellent way to adapt the space and make it work so well.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Mariner Mike

Posted: 14 days ago; 07:35 am   Permalink

Thank you all so much! I think I'm blushing (if that's not last night's Mai Tai still talking).

If youíll pardon the excess, Iíd like to give a little speech.

From the balcony: And Iíd like to take a little nap!

Being thankful I can finally use the bar while still being excited for down the road additions pretty much sums up how I feel about it right now. I love the part of the hobby that is thrift store beachcombing and keeping a level eye out, and still having a horizon out there, but knowing that I can use it now and not having it sit there unfinished is such a great feeling.

Does anyone else anthropomorphize their tikis in their head? The whole time I was working on the space I was envisioning Toy Story style scenes of the mugs and masks and skulls sneaking out from their boxes to see the progress on their new home.

From the first time I had the idea in my head of putting the bar down there I had a really specific vision of bridging nautical, pirate, and tiki proper in a dark space. The nautical came from childhood summers spent fishing on boats, hanging out around all kinds of marinas from the Yucatan to St Johns NL, and getting into trouble in little inflatables and Boston Whalers on the Barnegat Bay (including one time I had to row a mile and then walk through quicksand, but thatís another story). The pirate definitely came from youthful adventure books, movies, and cartoons. Muppet Treasure Island in particular was an obvious influence, so was the Pirates of the Caribbean ride (well what I remember of it from when I was in the third grade and last at Disney World), and Donkey Kong Country 2, weirdly enough. Tiki was partly Disney again, the Polynesian Hotel still sticks in my memory from that third grade trip, and the song from the enchanted Tiki Room can be recalled at a momentís notice.

Thatís a lot of childhood there, and one could easily come to the conclusion that this is just a way to add drinking to childhood fantasy, like making Butterbeer for Harry Potter fans. And Iím sure thereís a bit of that. But I think thereís something else there too, a sort of retreat into an ideal of a less cynical time where there are still islands to explore and mysteries within reach.

All of that to say, Iím thankful to have found this particular escape from reality, and to have such a warm welcome from a great community. Iíve really felt like Iíve put my heart and soul into this, and Iíve had such great help from family and friends along the way, not to mention my right hand lady Luau Laura and her continued support throughout and hands on work during the decorating phase. Itís been extremely rewarding to get such a fantastic response both from friends visiting in person and all of you here in the Tiki Ohana.

[ This Message was edited by: Mariner Mike 2019-01-03 16:36 ]

View Profile of Mariner Mike Send a personal message to Mariner Mike      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TabooDan
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 9:22 pm   Permalink

Aloha Mariner Mike! Happy New Year!
Great place and a great build!!
There's LOTS here I like but I love the open rock wall and the added fish netting, etc. The barrels are great and being authentic old rum, adds a little more history. Looks awesome.
Reminds me of some of the old Tiki joints.

Glad you've shared and added your space here.
Mahalo, TabooDan

View Profile of TabooDan Send a personal message to TabooDan  Goto the website of TabooDan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Donovan
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 12 days ago; 05:56 am   Permalink

Great job!! Nothing not to love about what you've done. You've captured the "feel" and that's what it's all about. Proud to see another committed keeper of the flame realize his dream.

View Profile of Donovan Send a personal message to Donovan  Email Donovan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 12 days ago; 08:59 am   Permalink

Great job, looks wonderful.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rumackay
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 11 days ago; 7:19 pm   Permalink

FAN-BLOODY-TASTIC!!

What a great space you've created. I hope you have many more awesome shindigs in there. Thanks for sharing

View Profile of rumackay Send a personal message to rumackay      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation