Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » Comrade’s Grotto
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Comrade’s Grotto
sparc

Posted: 2018-08-25 9:04 pm   Permalink

I wanted to share the tiki bar my son and I have been building for the last 5 months. It’s small, 7’ x 9’ and about 60% complete. A friend who is a professional photographer shot the bar and that made me decide to share. You can find Carlos (photographer friend) on Instagram @crhla. Hope this lives up to some of the home tiki bars that inspired me.

[ima]http://tikiroom.com/img/42561x5b8225af.jpg[/img]

View Profile of sparc Send a personal message to sparc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-08-25 10:48 pm   Permalink

Welcome to TC! Your tiki room looks very good. I’m very interested to see how your father-son project develops.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-08-25 11:01 pm   Permalink

Welcome Sparc. Nice! Keep dem posts/pix comiing.
Cheers

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-08-26 05:48 am   Permalink

Nice, cozy, atmospheric space. That’s a cool Marquesan piece on the bar too.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sparc

Posted: 2018-08-26 11:30 am   Permalink

Thank you for your comments and warm wlecome. I will add updates as they occur. Looking forward to adding masks and some pieces from Tki Tony and Bosko. The Marquesan piece was a gift several years ago and the two headed Tahitian piece I got from Islands Bamboo and Hawaiian Furniture in Westminster. Cool place.

View Profile of sparc Send a personal message to sparc      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Joshua Bell
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-08-26 11:55 am   Permalink

It's gorgeous. Definitely a space to get lost in.

View Profile of Joshua Bell Send a personal message to Joshua Bell  Email Joshua Bell Goto the website of Joshua Bell     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-08-26 1:59 pm   Permalink

Wow! That's great! I love the lighting. Thanks for coming on and sharing it!

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sparc

Posted: 2018-08-26 8:19 pm   Permalink

The space is a great spot for relaxing after a long day. The lighting has gone through several iterations. My son Euan had the best ideas, the small LED tea lights in the storage crates for the tikis and putting a Christmas shimmering LED light from Target into the hanging float. It's nice and dark with nice moments of sparkle.

Cutcarefullyplayloud
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-08-30 2:19 pm   Permalink

Holy hell that's good! If there were ever a place to lose yourself with a drink...

View Profile of Cutcarefullyplayloud Send a personal message to Cutcarefullyplayloud      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-08-30 2:28 pm   Permalink

That's a killer build! Thanks for sharing it with us--please post more!

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2018-08-30 2:56 pm   Permalink

Yes! Definitely looking forward to seeing more of this.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sparc

Posted: 2018-08-30 3:16 pm   Permalink

Thank you for the kind words. Here are a couple more of the professional photos. After this it's going to be Iphone shots of additional progress.

tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-08-31 10:09 pm   Permalink

Wow, that's slick! Looks like you've got more carved panels than flat wall space around your bamboo frames and lauhala. Great layering, lighting, and textures.

Jeff

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
sparc

Posted: 2018-09-01 07:11 am   Permalink

Yeah, the upper portions of the walls have the matting, bamboo and carved panels. The bottom of the walls are stained fleck board. We have gotten used to the bottom being merely stained but are still considering adding more detail. The carved frames are by my son and I. The router time is kind of soothing.

Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-01 6:10 pm   Permalink

Oh man, that lighting. is. superb. Especially for such a small space. I've seen those "lobster trap" lights before, but never thought they'd be so effective. Beautiful!

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation