FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki Midcentury House with Tiki Basement for Sale in Edmonton
Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
Midcentury House with Tiki Basement for Sale in Edmonton
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-10 9:37 pm   Permalink

A friend alerted me to a mid-century (1965) house with basement Tiki bar for sale in south-east Edmonton. The three photos below are from the realtor's listing. I wish there was a closer view of the bar itself. I'm not in the market, but if there's an open house, I'll be there with my camera.

Listing:
http://www.360realtytours.com/websites/hamdee.fythe/featureDetail.aspx?id=21841 (click on the "photos" tab)

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LavaCakes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-09-10 10:19 pm   Permalink

I was lucky enough to get into this house for a look, and it is AMAZING!!It isn't retro, it is like going through the Time Tunnel. The owner is an elderly lady who was a stewardess, married to a pilot, I believe. They had no children, and entertained a lot. They were very tidy and had a regular professional cleaner. Because they travelled so much, they had a ton of souvenirs. Sadly, most of them got cleared out. Even the furniture is pristine, and all of it is top quality.
The tragedy is that it will be so underappreciated. Even the realtor says it "has potential", since they don't realize it is already beyond perfect! Someone is just bound to buy it, gut it, wreck all the built-ins and tear out the walls, take everything to the dump, then paint it black and glue square rocks to it, probably to try to sell it for $50 000 more.If anyone is a millionaire, or has always wanted to move to Edmonton just in time for winter, or has enough like-minded friends to live together, this would be a phenomenal buy!

View Profile of LavaCakes Send a personal message to LavaCakes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Piddersthecat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-09-11 08:23 am   Permalink

Hot damn but that is lovely! I want to say it's perfect. Too bad I have move away from Edmonton in a few years (aging parents), or I'd seriously consider making this a forever home. I could live there quite happily and not change a thing. The only thing that would make it better is if it came with all the furniture. Hopefully someone will take care of it.

View Profile of Piddersthecat Send a personal message to Piddersthecat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
canadrian

Posted: 2018-09-11 2:43 pm   Permalink

Nice. I'm surprised there are as many Edmonton tiki folks as there are! As for this place, sadly yes, it will likely be ripped apart by the next owner. Best we can hope for is to watch Kijiji for some sweet furniture/artifact deals...

View Profile of canadrian Send a personal message to canadrian      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-11 11:05 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-09-11 08:23, Piddersthecat wrote:
Hot damn but that is lovely! I want to say it's perfect. Too bad I have move away from Edmonton in a few years (aging parents), or I'd seriously consider making this a forever home. I could live there quite happily and not change a thing. The only thing that would make it better is if it came with all the furniture. Hopefully someone will take care of it.

That blue couch is pretty sweet (I could live without the green chair though). Belated welcome to TC. I missed your arrival last year - I kind of stopped paying attention for a while.

Quote:

On 2018-09-11 14:43, canadrian wrote:
Nice. I'm surprised there are as many Edmonton tiki folks as there are! As for this place, sadly yes, it will likely be ripped apart by the next owner. Best we can hope for is to watch Kijiji for some sweet furniture/artifact deals...

Aloha canadrian. There aren't many of us, but we're out there. Brandomoai and I are "old timers" who've stuck around (more or less) - others have come and gone. Lavacakes is a friend who's no longer in Edmonton (but she'll be back).

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Brandomoai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-12 1:01 pm   Permalink

I've been in two other homes here from the 60s/70s with old Tiki bars in the basement. They really are hidden gems! This one will almost certainly be gutted, but maybe the new owner will at least have the decency to put some of the furniture, fixtures and/or materials up for sale. That mural is huge! Maybe I should get my cousin (a realtor) to book us a showing to get a closer look...

View Profile of Brandomoai Send a personal message to Brandomoai  Goto the website of Brandomoai     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-12 1:08 pm   Permalink

Is that cork board covering the walls? My grandparents' mid-mod has a spare bedroom/office with one wall that is covered in cork, but this is cork to the extreme!

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-09-12 1:53 pm   Permalink

At 1600 square feet it's pretty big for an older home. I wonder if that includes the basement?
"I want you to shake the freak tree and invite anyone that drops to the ground. Dwarfs and giants, magicians, Zulu tribesmen, contortionists, fire eaters... and priests. We're going to need to confess" Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-12 2:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-09-12 13:08, Bam Bam wrote:
Is that cork board covering the walls? My grandparents' mid-mod has a spare bedroom/office with one wall that is covered in cork, but this is cork to the extreme!

It's chipboard.

LavaCakes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-09-13 12:44 am   Permalink

It is actually a deceptively large house. It is exactly the same as the house across the street, EXCEPT the attached garage has been turned into a huge family room (there is a detached garage, instead), with the entire front wall being covered in stone with a fireplace in it and a seat running its entire length. If someone didn'the mind losing the tiki bar (!!!!!) it could be easily divided in 2. The main body of the house has 3 bedrooms, and the there are at least 2 in the basement (one conveniently located directly behind the bar) with a huge half bath downstairs. It's worth getting in just to see it. You can practically see the Shag painting people lounging around with their cocktails.

View Profile of LavaCakes Send a personal message to LavaCakes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
LavaCakes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-09-13 12:44 am   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: LavaCakes 2018-09-13 07:34 ]

LavaCakes
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-09-13 12:54 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-09-11 08:23, Piddersthecat wrote:

Why not whisk them back to their halcyon newlywed days by moving them in upstairs? Of course, this means you would be largely consigned to the tiki bar (awww!).

Seriously, though, it is worth calling the realtor just to have a look - don't forget the covered patio with the built in oven and little drink passthrough (it must be;there isn't enough room for the milk, it's in the back yard, and it opens into the room with the liquor cabinet).

Piddersthecat
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-09-13 08:56 am   Permalink

I wish but my dad wouldn't move from the coast. My boss (who renovates and flips houses on the side) says to offer them 390 with no conditions and all the furniture included. He said the area is being redeveloped and is close enough to the new LRT to be useful but not so close that it would lower housing prices. Perhaps I'll call the realtor...you never know!

View Profile of Piddersthecat Send a personal message to Piddersthecat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-13 7:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-09-12 14:37, Sweet Daddy Tiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2018-09-12 13:08, Bam Bam wrote:

It's chipboard.

Huh. I'd never considered chipboard as a wall treatment.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-09-13 9:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-09-13 19:53, Bam Bam wrote:
Huh. I'd never considered chipboard as a wall treatment.

It isn't usually. I associate it with unfinished or partially finished basements - but I've seen it used in a couple of restaurants as a "funky" wall treatment.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation