FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars The Loma Kai Sailing Club and Grotto! UPD:1/21
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
The Loma Kai Sailing Club and Grotto! UPD:1/21
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 13 days ago; 04:08 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2019-01-07 21:14, W8N2Surf wrote:

That Traveling Mai Tai Bar is the coolest! Man I want to make one!
Great job.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Commodore
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 13 days ago; 08:44 am   Permalink

Thanks Skip! I found the wicker suitcase on eBay for cheeeeap and thats what got that going... that and you know... some people should just have a traveling bar... The case has some cool details to it for sure that you can't really see. The rest took some trial and error but with plastic wrap, some careful spray foam (messy!) and felt we managed to put it together. I figured my brother can put his own MaiTai glasses in there - the plastic ones were placeholders only!

ok back to the real bar build!

-Commodore

View Profile of Commodore Send a personal message to Commodore      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 13 days ago; 09:42 am   Permalink

I got a whole set of the wicker suitcases the lighter shade ones.
Plus would guess I have most everything else too.

Used to make bamboo tools for bars as well.
The hard part for me is trying to find stuff that looks old like the shaker ect.

If you want you could PM your address and I will send you a tool or two for your case.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Commodore
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 13 days ago; 11:08 am   Permalink

Those are next level Skip! PM sent - cheers!

View Profile of Commodore Send a personal message to Commodore      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 13 days ago; 11:22 am   Permalink

Wow, those are amazing. Nice work sir. I have never seen a shaker like this.

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf  Email W8N2Surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 7 days ago; 4:15 pm   Permalink

Today let's get you caught up on the wall including the sliding door, located on the starboard side of the bar. Here we're lining up boards, figuring out which ones we want to go where.

Here's a shot of the hardware beam that will support the sliding door. You can see some of the actual nautical hardware we are using under the beam that will actually function to make this door slide. Nice!

The beam is solidly attached to the structure, and is now part of the structure itself.

Next Commodore had to build the door! He's using alternating carved panel with a regular wood panel, all reclaimed vintage wood. You can see that aged metal that we showed before.

So, those aged and distressed metal strips actually become straps that loop right around the nautical hardware we found for a pretty seamless and might I say ingenious hanging door system. Can't buy that at Home Depot!

Yes, it took some trial and error, couple second takes, but we got it perfect. The door looks great and opens and slides on the track smoothly. Sure, we have a lot of detail work left, lots to finish and polish up, but we'll get there! Here's the view from the outside as it is now.

More to come soon, Mahalos for following along!

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf  Email W8N2Surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 7 days ago; 10:33 pm   Permalink

Looks great, except....

Is this panel "upside down" on the door?

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Donovan
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 6 days ago; 05:48 am   Permalink

Love the look, hardware and ingenuity. Great function without sacrificing space. Super well done.

View Profile of Donovan Send a personal message to Donovan  Email Donovan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 6 days ago; 06:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2019-01-14 22:33, Hamo wrote:
Looks great, except....

Is this panel "upside down" on the door?

Haha! Nice eye Hamo! Yep, like I said there were lot's of "do-overs" and that was one of them. It was fixed the next day. You know what it's like when your head is way in the game......I meant to leave that picture out but I'm glad it's there....a real life DYI Tiki bar is going to have these moments....

On another note, did you know that one of the major contributors/agitators of carpel tunnel syndrome is holding power tools? Yep, and all this routing has taken it's toll, Commodore has a serious case of it and the pain is pretty non-stop, I am hoping this passes soon.

Commodore
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 6 days ago; 10:55 am   Permalink

Some good stuff here - thanks for posting W8N2SRF! - those tracks are vintage solid bronze sail tracks off an old sailboat - the 'cars' are mainsail slides - found them at a nautical vintage surplus store with some other odds and ends. They weigh a lot! Secured them with mostly bronze screws and a few through bolted for good measure. I 'antiqued' those brass straps, but then in making the doors found I could hide them pretty well under the panels - so in the end all you will see is the tops of the straps. I wasn't sure how well the doors would slide and at first they really didn't - uh oh! One shot of WD40 and they're absolutely perfect. Funny that I put that door on upside down - ugh!! Definitely fixed it and you'll see that in photos coming up. All in all it looks good and except for the carpal tunnel that has developed (painful!) all is well... Wish it was moving faster but its going along!

Mahalo for all the support!

-Commodore

W8N2Surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 08:45 am   Permalink

And here is another shot of the left starboard wall and sliding door completed.

With the door open. Here you can see a section of "strong wall" on the right that we need to put an exterior wall on. Hmmmm, I think Commodore has a surprise for that. In addition, we need to fill the space between the top of the sliding door and the arch.....

W8N2Surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 09:17 am   Permalink

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation