FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Home Tiki Bars » » The Loma Kai Sailing Club and Grotto! UPD:1/21
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
The Loma Kai Sailing Club and Grotto! UPD:1/21
Commodore
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-12-06 09:05 am   Permalink

A lot of thought went into what kind of roof to do... As the Loma Kai is on our lower deck we actually will look out from our house and see mostly the roof structure we want it to look really good and also blend in with the plants as much as it can. Grass roofs look great, but the open spider invitation would be too much for me and especially my arachnophobic wife! I was thinking fiberglass, but the dogs and I went on a couple of reconnaissance walks down on Shelter Island and really liked the looks of this Humprhrey's building with its green slate tiles. See photo... The BaliHai also has a metal roof of a similar color and looks good as well.

The tiles above would be way too heavy so the tile that W8N2SRF showed are the ones we are using - metal tiles that are made to look like green slate. Made by McElroy metals, "Milan Green Slate"... It took some time to find and order them but they look great and will be super durable and will bend slightly with the curve of the roof.

Thanks all!

View Profile of Commodore Send a personal message to Commodore      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-12-06 12:37 pm   Permalink

Those three option are great ones as they will last forever.

Damn, they got that metal to look like slate.
The slate can break so metal is a good choice.

This room is going to cost about as much as the average house does in Ohio.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Commodore
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-12-06 3:23 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-12-06 12:37, tikiskip wrote:
Those three option are great ones as they will last forever.

Damn, they got that metal to look like slate.
The slate can break so metal is a good choice.

This room is going to cost about as much as the average house does in Ohio.

Skip I would seriously doubt that!! One thing that is hard to tell at this point is the small size of this build. The interior square footage is less than 110 sq ft and this will amount to essentially a 3-4 seat bar with little extra room. We would love to have a larger place (a big lounge!) but don't have the space but we are working to make sure its cool, legit, and works for us. Cheers!

View Profile of Commodore Send a personal message to Commodore      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-12-06 5:02 pm   Permalink

Ha! I exaggerate but that is some pretty wood, it's looking great!

Damn the fence we are building is not cheep using cedar.

Wood is costly these days.
Good wood even more so.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-12-08 06:44 am   Permalink

Hey! See y'all at the Bali Hai today! Let's get a move on!!

Meanwhile at the Loma Kai, we need to get smart about lighting and electricity. Let's get some wiring done before we put the roofing tiles on. Hmmmm, what do we want going where? Something seems sacrilegious about poking holes in lauhala. Ouch. Have to do it.

[ This Message was edited by: W8N2Surf 2018-12-08 06:45 ]

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf  Email W8N2Surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-12-10 07:12 am   Permalink

The roofing felt, etc. is getting pretty thick, so we are using copper tape to mask all the edges before we put the roofing tiles on.

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf  Email W8N2Surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Donovan
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-12-10 07:54 am   Permalink

The way you pay homage to the classic
tiki architecture makes this project go right off of the awesome meter.

I can see that when completed, this will be a often referenced source of how it is supposed to be done.

View Profile of Donovan Send a personal message to Donovan  Email Donovan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Commodore
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-12-10 08:01 am   Permalink

Donavan, thank you for that super kind comment. And yes! you and I did meet at Oceanic Arts almost 2 months back. This build has taken a lot of time, I haven't even got to the part of the interior yet when I can utilize some of the things I bought that day. I can't wait. And your place is mind blowing! l look forward to seeing the progress - you could really host some epic events there... I'm envisioning Jason Lee and RIPtides playing live at Donavan's Reef!

Mahalo! -Commodore

tikitube

Posted: 2018-12-11 07:40 am   Permalink

Thanks for the roofing info... I'll have to check those out. I had looked at rubber roofing that was formed/colored to look like slate, but couldn't justify the cost.

It's amazing what manufacturers are doing with their products these days, and even more amazing that you don't have to be a contractor with a huge million dollar budget to procure them.

Your build is really taking shape.. keep it coming!

[ This Message was edited by: tikitube 2018-12-11 07:41 ]

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-12-11 08:36 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-12-11 07:40, tikitube wrote:
I had looked at rubber roofing that was formed/colored to look like slate, but couldn't justify the cost.

Some companies offer metal roofing that is formed to look like slate as well. Not cheap, but then again nothing's cheap these days. We've come a long way from dark asphalt shingles being the only option.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-12-12 05:59 am   Permalink

A big update today, the roof gets essentially completed! And just in time, some rain came down shortly after. No Leaks! We've really had great fortune weather-wise up to this point. Because of the curving center beam, we of course have a curvy roof line, so that was a little different to navigate.

So much more work to do, the updates will probably have to slow down but there is a lot of pressure from the local Ohana to get to opening day!

Sandbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-12-12 06:07 am   Permalink

That roof is gorgeous. I'm glad to hear that you're water-tight, leaks are, IMO, the stuff of nightmares.
“The Hitch-Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy also mentions alcohol. It says that the best drink in existence is the Pan Galactic Gargle Blaster, the effect of which is like having your brains smashed out with a slice of lemon wrapped round a large gold brick.”

View Profile of Sandbartender Send a personal message to Sandbartender      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikitube

Posted: 2018-12-12 09:20 am   Permalink

Roof turned out fantastic! And the light color should help cut the heat in summer.

Congrats, no leaks!

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Commodore
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-12-12 10:48 am   Permalink

No leaks was one thing - but I was more pleased about no falls! That roof got pretty slippery as time wore on. Now time to get to some other cool things - happy the lid is done!

-Commodore

W8N2Surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-12-16 12:26 pm   Permalink

Finishing up the panels, here's the name panel!

And here's one I don't think I've shown, complete with our temple guardians.

Stay tuned for how we are going to use these!

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation