FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » Easter Islanders want their moai returned
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Easter Islanders want their moai returned
tikitube
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 25 days ago; 10:51 am   Permalink

Thought this was interesting:
https://hyperallergic.com/471701/easter-islanders-are-visiting-british-museum-to-request-repatriation-of-ancestral-heritage/

[ This Message was edited by: Tikitube 2018-11-17 10:58 ]

View Profile of tikitube Send a personal message to tikitube      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MrBaliHai
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 24 days ago; 07:59 am   Permalink

They'll have to pry my Moai mugs out of my cold, dead, hands...

[ This Message was edited by: MrBaliHai 2018-11-18 08:00 ]

View Profile of MrBaliHai Send a personal message to MrBaliHai      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Prikli Pear
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 24 days ago; 9:56 pm   Permalink

I saw this on FB. It's actually a thoughtful, reasonable proposal they're suggesting. The offer of a native-crafted replica cut from island stone and overseen by experts is no small undertaking. The British would be remiss not to discuss this further.
www.JaymeBlaschke.com

View Profile of Prikli Pear Send a personal message to Prikli Pear  Email Prikli Pear Goto the website of Prikli Pear     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 05:10 am   Permalink

Anakena Manutomatoma, told the Guardian. “Once eyes are added to the statues, an energy is breathed into the moai and they become the living embodiment of ancestors whose role is to protect us.”

Coming from a people whose ancestors were cannibals who is the statue saving the people from, themselves?

“The large-scale deforestation led to soil erosion and over a span of several centuries, the island's ability to support wildlife and farming was compromised. People began to starve. In a last ditch effort at survival, they became cannibals.”

Next our tiki mugs will be deemed cultural appropriation.
So if “The Greatest Generation includes those born roughly between 1900 and the early 1920s” will this be known as the bit*h and moan generation one day.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JasonMa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 23 days ago; 07:14 am   Permalink

Really? That's your take on this very reasonable proposal? SMH. No wonder the Museum thinks it can get away with keeping things like the Moai and the Parthenon Marbles.

View Profile of JasonMa Send a personal message to JasonMa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sandbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 23 days ago; 07:38 am   Permalink

We live in an age of wonders. If the museum wanted to they could themselves scan the original and have an exact copy CNC'd or printed, down to the last chisel mark.

There really is no excuse to keep a culturally important artifact when the culture it was taken from is asking for it back. Especially when the Rapa Nui
are offering a legit replacement.

Just my $00.02

View Profile of Sandbartender Send a personal message to Sandbartender      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 23 days ago; 07:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-11-19 05:10, tikiskip wrote:
Next our tiki mugs will be deemed cultural appropriation.

You talk like that hasn't already happened.

Overall, the museum doesn't really have a choice. They're getting a very reasonable proposal that has a feel-good story with it, and if they refuse it they'll look like a-holes. In the museum and heritage field in general, we're in a time where it's not merely ethical but necessary for institutions to work with the people they are representing.

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 09:23 am   Permalink

Yeah, I don't really care much for some of my close relatives so guess I'm not a family guy.

BUT, the statue in a museum helps to promote and tell their story.

So do they want the team from wherever, National Geographic? to burry the statues back from where they dug them up after the people, (ancestors of the Easter Island) toppled them back when they were fighting?

Just a bit tired of the digging up of every past injustice.

Think of all the things taken in war or otherwise and imagine giving it all back.
Two words, Genghis Khan.

Wonder if France wants that statue they gave us back?

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JasonMa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 23 days ago; 10:50 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-11-19 09:23, tikiskip wrote:
Wonder if France wants that statue they gave us back?

Difference being that France willingly gave us the Statue of Liberty. Nobody gave the Moai or the Marbles away, they were taken.

If the British had gotten their hands on the Declaration/Bill of Rights/Constitution in 1812 and taken them back to England to put in the Museum you'd probably want them delivered back to the U.S. government wouldn't you?

View Profile of JasonMa Send a personal message to JasonMa      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 11:21 am   Permalink

"If the British had gotten their hands on the Declaration/Bill of Rights/Constitution in 1812 and taken them back to England to put in the Museum you'd probably want them delivered back to the U.S. government wouldn't you?"

Well if there were like what How many statues are on Easter Island 50, more?
So no if there were 50 Declaration/Bill of Rights/Constitution documents that were mostly the same I would not care that much about getting number 51 back.

Remember that the digging up and even bringing them back to England helped the Easter Island economy, heck is that the only source of income, tourism I think?
People saw that stuff in a museum and said lets go check that place out.

I bet the Inca people want their gold back too, that stuff must have been lots of religious stuff too.

Damn it was not right but that's what people did back then.
Remember the people that did not fight or plunder way back when, No you don't because most of them are dead.

I really don't know enough about the history involved here so what do I know.
Tiki to me is not really about Easter Island as much as it is about Trader Vic's, Don Beach, Kahiki ect....
Fake Americanization of tiki in a restaurant with Booze and tiki mugs.

Just the opinion of one person, what do I know.
Good luck on your quest people of Easter Island.

tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 11:31 am   Permalink

I got a question,
If somebody steals a menu from Trader Sam's and then sells it on eBay does Trader Sam's have the right to ask for it to be returned.

If that were the case then there would be LOTS less mugs/menus in all of our collections as many of them were stolen at one time even if not by you the person who has it now.

AND I say that is why there are still good condition versions of these mugs as if they did not sell that mug it would have mostly been broken in the bar through usage.

Sandbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 23 days ago; 11:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-11-19 11:31, tikiskip wrote:
I got a question,
If somebody steals a menu from Trader Sam's and then sells it on eBay does Trader Sam's have the right to ask for it to be returned.

Technically, yes. As the ebay buyer would be in possession of stolen goods. Whether they knew it or not is irrelevant. Although if it were bought "on the level" the buyer can usually just
return said stolen item when informed of its status. If bought knowing that an item was stolen they have committed a crime as surely as the thief.

For something small and not terribly valuable, I doubt anyone would bother. Especially for old things like mugs, where a statute of limitation would likely have been LOOOONG past.

But for a more relevant example, just look at the art world re: big ticket items getting returned after decades or more because they were stolen from some museum or collection.

And in this particular case, the Moai was boosted by the British Navy and gifted to the queen. So whatever the end result was of boosting interest in EI tourism, the motive wasn't all that altruistic.

View Profile of Sandbartender Send a personal message to Sandbartender      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 1:02 pm   Permalink

"the motive wasn't all that altruistic"

I did not think it was altruistic, but I think it did promote tourism sparking interest in the statues many years later.

Chili does seam to be doing well now economically, I don't think the statues are the reason but Easter Island has made money from them.

Wonder when they went from eating each other to doing well economically.
I would like to go there one day.

JasonMa
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 23 days ago; 2:31 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-11-19 11:21, tikiskip wrote:

I bet the Inca people want their gold back too, that stuff must have been lots of religious stuff too.

You mean like this?

https://apnews.com/8725727b13564472bd373d44efbca3f2

MadDogMike
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 23 days ago; 3:03 pm   Permalink

Every ancient artifact in every museum in the world once belonged to another culture, just as every bit of land once belonged to another culture. I can see the Rapa Nui wanting their Moai back and I appreciate that they are willing negotiate for it. But I also see how this could get out of hand.
"I want you to shake the freak tree and invite anyone that drops to the ground. Dwarfs and giants, magicians, Zulu tribesmen, contortionists, fire eaters... and priests. We're going to need to confess" Freddy Mercury in "Bohemian Rhapsody

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation