[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Home Tiki Bars Cannibal Club
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Cannibal Club
Donovan
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-12-09 6:53 pm   Permalink

Located in my backyard in Bakersfield, California. 1200 sq ft with 9 foot 1800 lb tiki fireplace, loft and full bar.

The pool is 3 levels with 3 waterfalls an outdoor kitchen with bbq, sink and fireplace. The kitchen gazebo also doubles as a bandstand.

All lighting is LED on photo cells.

Critiques,comments and ideas welcome.

[ Edited by: Hakalugi - Added image bb code and fixed orientation - 2018-12-09 21:26 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Donovan 2018-12-10 01:30 ]

View Profile of Donovan Send a personal message to Donovan  Email Donovan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-12-09 8:49 pm   Permalink

Hey Donovan! First, most of your pics here after I click on the link show up upside down! Might be me? I don't have the energy to turn my display around, maybe you could test? Second, from what I can see, WOW! How about some more detail on the story behind this, who made the fireplace and how, etc.! Looking forward to learning more.

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf  Email W8N2Surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Donovan

Posted: 2018-12-10 01:27 am   Permalink

Thank you for the kind words, W8N2Surf. Your project is amazing.
First of all thanks to Hakalugi for fixing my picture issues. I'm not a real computer savvy guy.

It is still under construction and has a long way to go. The wall coverings haven't even been started. What you see now was just rigged up for my wife's Christmas party.
I still have to complete behind the bar, install the dumbwaiter that transports drinks up to the loft, add much more lighting effects and hang a 10 foot outrigger canoe (from Oceanic Arts where I think I may have met you recently) from the ceiling. Not to mention literally miles of manila rope around all of the joints in the structure.

Other than the ongoing help of my wife and some great friends** putting up the main structure, it has been pretty much all me, including the fireplace. The fireplace alone took over 100 hours to build. I will eventually post pictures of it being built. It is a welded steel cage, wire mesh and 1800 lbs of concrete. (note the human skull gas fire logs from Amazon, of course)

I will post more photos as it progresses. We hope to have our grand opening this spring.

**Special thanks to Jake, Ryan, Dennis, Dan and Todd for which special tiki drinks will be named after in honor of their heroic efforts to get this thing built.

[ This Message was edited by: Donovan 2018-12-10 02:02 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Donovan 2018-12-10 06:19 ]

View Profile of Donovan Send a personal message to Donovan  Email Donovan     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiskip
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2018-12-10 05:09 am   Permalink

Damn these home tiki bar builds get better and better!

Cool spot, Love the fireplace!
Smart to use metal roof,let it rust no maintenance won't burn too.

Love yer music.

View Profile of tikiskip Send a personal message to tikiskip      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
W8N2Surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-12-10 05:12 am   Permalink

Man oh man. This is not just a backyard Tiki bar, but a complete Tiki party, event, and entertainment complex!! I think you need to have a name for your bar (which you do) but then a separate name for the whole place of which your bar is just part of! The three level pool (with that wading side area as well) is fantastic, the overlooking gazebo/kitchen/bandstand is great, and then the whole building itself! Yes on more pics on the fireplace build. Hard to see where the heat exhausts to. Lighted eyes are perfect. There is so much here, but as you said, so much more room for ever increasing detail. Keep posting more pics.

Yes, you probably met Commodore (Terry) the owner and builder of the Loma Kai, he's been there often enough. He's probably slated for a grand opening right around the same time as the Cannibal Club is.

[ This Message was edited by: W8N2Surf 2018-12-10 05:13 ]

View Profile of W8N2Surf Send a personal message to W8N2Surf  Email W8N2Surf     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sandbartender
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-12-10 05:20 am   Permalink

Holy cow, that is epic! Not so much a Tiki Bar as an entire Tiki Back Yard!

I'm jealous.

View Profile of Sandbartender Send a personal message to Sandbartender      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Donovan

Posted: 2018-12-10 06:18 am   Permalink

Thanks to all for the encouragement and feedback.

The roofing was chosen because our brutal summers here will quickly destroy any natural materials. A 50/50 mix of muriatic acid and water sprayed on and left for 30 minutes aged it nicely. (be sure to wear a respirator)

The fireplace has a steel firebox that is insulated using cat litter. It is vented out of the back with a 4" double wall pipe. The upper half houses the electrical and has two oven lights built in to the roof of the firebox to showcase the skull fire logs even when not burning.

Great suggestion about naming the entire locale....suggestions?

Love this site and love all of the fantastic work it showcases. Very inspiring.

W8N2Surf
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-12-10 06:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-12-10 06:18, Donovan wrote:

Great suggestion about naming the entire locale....suggestions?

I actually think I have a good one for you. The overall site name needs to stay consistent with your bar name. So The Cannibal Club is located within a "Lost Island" type of name. Now, given your multi-layer pool with the shallow wading area, I believe Cannibal Club is located at "Donovan's Reef", a nod to the quintessential french polynesian John Wayne movie, 1963, filmed on Kauai. Gonna be tough to beat that one.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donovan%27s_Reef

Donovan

Posted: 2018-12-10 07:58 am   Permalink

I think we may have a winner! That movie has always been a favorite of mine and thus the moniker. (you mean you guys aren't using your real names?)

I can't help but keep returning to your build and marveling at the authenticity. Freakin great job.

hiltiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-12-10 09:15 am   Permalink

Very nice.

View Profile of hiltiki Send a personal message to hiltiki  Goto the website of hiltiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
EnchantedTikiGoth
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-12-10 5:24 pm   Permalink

Critique? Yeah... I'm critical of the fact that it's not mine!

Otherwise, good job! I can see lots of room for adding more layers of Tiki ephemera, unless you're going for a more clean and minimal look. But it's pretty stunning as is!

View Profile of EnchantedTikiGoth Send a personal message to EnchantedTikiGoth  Goto the website of EnchantedTikiGoth     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-12-10 8:13 pm   Permalink

Oh my
Lots of space to
Well
Relax

Cheers

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Donovan

Posted: 2018-12-10 8:19 pm   Permalink

Yes, more layers!! As you all know, these things are never quite finished. The "look" is important but the "feel" is what we really try to achieve. That's what escapism is all about.

Thank you for your input.

Hamo

Posted: 2018-12-10 10:27 pm   Permalink

Wow, your place is really incredible, especially that fireplace. I hope you can figure out the computer enough to share more photos soon.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Donovan

Posted: 2018-12-11 03:17 am   Permalink

All of the images that I download show up upside down. I've even tried to invert them prior to downloading and I still get the same results. I have sent a help message to the moderator but whatever you more computer literate members can suggest, I'm all ears.
Thank you.

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation