FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Events California Events Enchanted Tiki Room Anniverary Official Press Release
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Enchanted Tiki Room Anniverary Official Press Release
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 09:12 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-22 22:39, smogbreather wrote:
Hi,
Disney sold out of the Enchanted Tiki Pole Mug & have 21 of the Goblet mugs up for grabs through their Ears Service.
Holden

FYI...Disney DelivEars doesn't seem to know about those 21 goblets. Called the moment they opened this morning and they say that they are not available and will never be available. As far as they know everything was sold out on Saturday. I even made the operator ask their manager and call the Disneyana store. They're gone...

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Cultjam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 09:16 am   Permalink

Hey! They told me that too. No mugs, no goblets, nada.

Drat.

There's a wish list for the purse.

View Profile of Cultjam Send a personal message to Cultjam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzywong
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 09:41 am   Permalink

The purse is on backorder, they should be sent out in 2 weeks. The full amount that was ordered, was not delivered. The lady I spoke with said shirts, mouse pads, the prints for 15.00, notecards, and I'm not sure what else was available. She said they would be getting an update on inventory sometime this morning.

She also said (out of the blue)the tikifarm web site had very erroneous information. I didn't know what she was talking about.

View Profile of suzywong Send a personal message to suzywong  Email suzywong     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiGoon
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-23 09:55 am   Permalink

Talked with DelivEars again this morning. They have T-shirts, puzzles, note cards, Petite prints some Aloha shirts and a wish list for purses. I asked about the goblets that are mentioned earlier in the thread. She said some misinformation leaked out on the internet. Oh well, I really didn't want the goblet half as bad as the Tiki Pole Mug. Looks like I will have to bend over and get one off Ebay.

View Profile of TikiGoon Send a personal message to TikiGoon  Email TikiGoon Goto the website of TikiGoon     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Feelin' Zombified
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 10:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-23 09:55, TikiGoon wrote:
...the Tiki Pole Mug. Looks like I will have to bend over and get one off Ebay.

I'm going to wait 30 years and see if I can find one at a garage sale or thrift store for $2. just gotta have patience.

-Z

Thank God The Tiki Bar Is Open
Thank God The Tiki Torch Still Shines...

View Profile of Feelin' Zombified Send a personal message to Feelin' Zombified  Email Feelin' Zombified     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 1:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

I'm going to wait 30 years and see if I can find one at a garage sale or thrift store for $2. just gotta have patience.

Don't forget estate sales. I can't speak for anyone else, but I know my retirement planning doesn't allow for me to live much beyond 2033.

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Room Fan

Posted: 2003-09-23 2:43 pm   Permalink

Alo-HA!

I've lurked around here for a while and finally decided to join in the fun. As you can see, I am a fan of Walt's Tiki Room--but love all things Tiki, as well.

I wanted to say a big THANK YOU! MAHALO! The Shag/Tiki Room event had the potential to be a big mess, but everyone made the best of it. When friends who did not attend asked me how it went, I told them that Tiki fans are the greatest people in the world!

I arrived just before 7:00 and found what I expected--about 40-50 people already spread across the turnstiles. I was disappointed to find that no preparations had been made for the crowd (I go to many Disneyland merchandising events). Apparently, they had no clue about the level of interest in Shag and the Tiki Room! (I polled those around me--it was about half Shag fans and half Tiki Room fans.)

Although I was fourth in MY line, I was about 40-50 back in the line for the shop (which means I was where I deserved to be). And I did get everything I wanted. AND I got to meet a lot of very nice people, out front and inside.

Long, long wait outside. Hot sun. Crowded shop. (Who didn't realize we should have had pre-order forms outside, hmm?) Slow registers. Separate line for the serigraph. Separate line for the signing. But everyone kept on smiling!

My main thanks are for two reasons:
1. Disneyland again got to see the POWER OF THE TIKI. They have so sadly neglected Walt's first Audio-Animatronic attraction for years. Saturday they realized that it is beloved by many.

2. Everyone was so nice-- but it was clear that the merchandising events organizers had again missed the mark.

Oh--and I also got to add Shag items to my collection! I have admired his work for some time, but restrict myself to Disneyland collectibles. So what could be sweeter?

See you at the Tiki Room!

DOUG

View Profile of Tiki Room Fan Send a personal message to Tiki Room Fan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SallyandJay
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 8:56 pm   Permalink

These picture can give a sense of the event. Not as fun as a gallery opening. Better than the day after Thanksgiving shopping though.

Calm crowd at 7AM

Frenzy before gates open

After the mad dash looking towards Disneyana (we were #'s 190 in line)

Looking towards the back of the line (note: the line curves around in the background)

Two of the originals (the others were wisked away by their owners after purchase)

View Profile of SallyandJay Send a personal message to SallyandJay  Email SallyandJay     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kha_o
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-24 01:27 am   Permalink

The wife, kid (one of five children i saw in the Tiki line), and i just got to Northern Japan from Cali a few hours ago - what a trip!

Thanks to all the really nice folks we met and chatted with in line. i actually had two seperate nightmares the night before that everything would be sold out.

We scored a print for ourselves (and a friend in Seattle too lazy to take a short trip to Anaheim), Jamie (my son) got a picture taken with Mr. Agle, and i ended up with food poisoning that night, puking my guts out in the 5-star commode of Disney's Grand Californian.

All in all, a fun time - my wife was continually asked while in line what we were waiting for (she makes eye contact with strangers too often), it was interesting seeing the shock on people's faces that so many people would wait hours in line for a chance to buy Tiki Room stuff.

Hey, we stand up when Jose tells us to in the show, why not toss away our son's college tuition funds if we have the chance, right?

i'll post my son with Shag sometime when the stomach finally settles...

View Profile of kha_o Send a personal message to kha_o      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kha_o
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-24 01:28 am   Permalink

By the way... nice ears Sally!

View Profile of kha_o Send a personal message to kha_o      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SallyandJay
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 09:33 am   Permalink

Here is a better one Jay took of me contemplating why I am awake so early on a Saturday morning. At least I have my ears on. Wait....who is the other lady with the stunned look on her face?

[ This Message was edited by: SallyandJay on 2003-09-24 09:36 ]

View Profile of SallyandJay Send a personal message to SallyandJay  Email SallyandJay     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ikittiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-24 1:07 pm   Permalink

Hey all did you see the 2 guys that were 1 and 2 in line are selling one of the originals and mention the possible sale of the Serigraph original on Ebay. Who would think they came all the way from Florida just to make a quick buck? when so many other were the to buy an original to keep. It's too bad they worked out their money situation that morning in the shop and bought them.

View Profile of ikittiki Send a personal message to ikittiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikichic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 1:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the post but that info has already been started on a thread here:

Tiki Central Forum Index Collecting Tiki $hag Tiki Room Original on eBay

View Profile of tikichic Send a personal message to tikichic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 3:10 pm   Permalink

I'm so glad I managed to haul my lazy ass out of bed to come out and do this event. I wasn't sure I was going to make it (Thursday my Mom & did a walking tour of Santa Monica & Venice Beach, a day my Mom will only now refer to as the "Santa Monica Death March," and all day Friday we did Disneyland, so I was dead pooped & my feet were already angry). It was worth it though. I got to meet a few new TCers (always a very, very cool thing), and I got to see a few others I hadn't seen during the rest of my week down there. Standing next to me in line were a couple of cool tikiphiles who are not hardcore TCers (one is a lurker [hello!], and the other I think had heard of it but didn't spend a lot of time here), and they were a lot of fun to while away the hours with. I actually didn't buy much, just a t-shirt, mini print and a purse, and I took advantage of my spot in line to snag a couple of extra mugs for Al & Shelly.

I got into line around 6:45 or so, and ended up being ~110 in line. I didn't get into the shop until 11am, which was scary as I had to leave at 11:30 for my flight back to Seattle -- I was very afraid I would have been there for 5 hours for nothing! But, as all things in Disneyland should, it worked out.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 10:51 pm   Permalink

It was great meeting everybody pre-opening that morning and others waiting in line to get the goods. Sorry we got seperated in the Tiki Room at 3:00 -- between trying to down my first Dole Whip (not knowing you could take it inside) and taking photos of everything including the bathroom floor, I ended up on the other side of the joint for the show and then last out the door. When Fritz said he was going to make you all dissapear, he wasn't kiding. Poof, you were gone!

Then I bagged out on the Hawaiian Room since I'd been up since 5:00am and on EST. I don't know how you guys from Japan pulled it off!

It was unbelievable to see a line continuing away from the shop at 2:00, 3:00, 4:00 -- I think it finally dispersed at 4:30 when I went to pick up my serigraph.

All of the goods were excellent, and I think I may have sort of, kind of said something intelligent to Shag (but probably not). The necklace would have made a great $5.00 item -- I still got 2 at $15, but other than that things were very fairly priced. My wife really likes the purse, so the Gods are with me.

Sunday I drove down to the Bali Hai for brunch with former co-workers and to get a Mr. Bali Hai mug. Who-hoo! The food and service barely scrapped by, but at least now I can say I've been, and I also got to see the famous Half Moon Hotel, and I picked up a Coke and an orange juice from Trader Mort's for the ride back to Aneheim, Three in one blow!

Shout outs to Larry & Mrs. Larry Lava, Humuhumu, Monkeyman, SallyandJay, spy-tiki, BONBONVIC, Rock-A-Tiki, Jax Tiki and anybody else I forgot for making a lonely traveller feel welcome.

Later in the day, rumor had it that the other paintings may be made available as prints also sold at Disneyland in the same fashion. If so, look out -- I'm coming back to Cali.

Oh, and what was up with that crazy 23-year old chick clutching the Stitch doll? Quite a few wack jobs in the crowd that day, besides me.

[ This Message was edited by: Hot Lava on 2003-09-25 07:53 ]

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation