FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Fassionola?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
Fassionola?
Chester Copperpot

Posted: 2018-01-09 06:45 am   Permalink

Thank you for the recipe mmaurice! I'll give this one a run through this weekend

View Profile of Chester Copperpot Send a personal message to Chester Copperpot      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2018-03-01 11:17 pm   Permalink

Doug’s most recent Tiki Month post at Pegu Blog is about fassionola. I didn’t realize Jon English still exists and is still making it. Looks like I might need to order a bottle soon....

http://www.killingtime.com/Pegu/2018/02/27/so-whats-up-with-fassionola/

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Bam Bam
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-03-02 09:25 am   Permalink

I've gotta agree with the article, that Jonathan English page is possibly the most useless website since Zombo.com. "Information-free website" is dead on. No wonder hardly anyone even knows they still exist!

And agreed, gotta try some now that I know where to get it.

View Profile of Bam Bam Send a personal message to Bam Bam      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
rbeyer68
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-03-02 12:27 pm   Permalink

I made a couple Cobra's Fang last night with the following Fassionola:

1/4 cup Smuckers Red Raspberry (bought directly from Smuckers)
1/4 cup Grenadine (homemade via Smugglers Cove recipe)
1/2 tsp Orange Extract

That is a mighty fine tasting cocktail.

Rick in Texas

View Profile of rbeyer68 Send a personal message to rbeyer68  Goto the website of rbeyer68     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-13 07:42 am   Permalink

I have been using the Red Tropical Gold Fruit Mix for years. I buy it on ebay and always have an unopened bottle in the house. Once opened... I put an ounce of vodka in to stabilize and keep it in the fridge. When Hurricane Irma came through I lost my power for 6 days and it survived. With so many ways to come up with a substitute I don't think its critical to use English's, but I find it convenient.

I think the big reason I like fassionola is the red color. Even great drinks sometimes have that orangeish brownish look and fassionola makes it more appealing to me.

My go-to drink is a slightly modified version of one of Hurricane's Jet Pilot tributes. On a hot Saturday in the pool it makes you feel like you've put on rose tinted sunglasses. I use fassionola in my recipe, but I pull back on the honey mix and finish up the half ounce with fassionola.

My variation of Hurricane's Jet Pilot tribute

1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
1/2 ounce orange juice
1/2 ounce falernum (Fee Brothers)
Fill half ounce jigger to 2/3 full with honey mix and the other 1/3 with fassionola. This part is never that precise. Both are sweet and it gets the red color in.
1/8 teaspoon of Pernod (sometime a little more is interesting)
A couple of shakes of Angostura Bitters (regular)

3/4 ounce of Don Q Silver Rum (BTW - my favorite silver rum - Makes great Mojitos)
3/4 ounce of Cruzan Gold Rum
3/4 ounce Appleton VX Rum
3/4 ounce Lemon Hart 151 - I think this is the critical rum. There is always a big debate about which is better: old yellow label, red label or new version. Doesn't matter...Lemon Hart provides a unique smooth, smokey flavor you cant get anywhere else and with a 151 punch. Yes - Hamiliton's is the only substitute I would use. It does make it less smooth and more in your face. But that isn't a bad thing either. I am certain I don't have to explain to this group that using Bacardi 151 would be blasphemy. However Bacardi 151 is useful in getting love bugs off your bumper.

I use a Hamilton spin mixer for 5 seconds with a 1/2 cup of crushed ice. Fill an old fashioned glass (I use my Hukilau glasses) and top off with more crushed ice.

I'm lucky to have access to all versions of Lemon Hart. When the old yellow label and red label stopped being produced, I bought everything I could get my hands on. But to enable me to stretch those out till I die I have purchased a couple of cases of the new stuff for parties etc...

Enjoy!

[ This Message was edited by: Tonga Tiki 2018-04-13 09:50 ]

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PalmtreePat
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-04-14 08:12 am   Permalink

I finally got myself a bottle of the official stuff and I gotta say, it's nothing like my homemade mix OR the passionfruit syrup that apparently gets used as a substitute alot. I can only describe it as "brighter" than my grenadine/raspberry/orange extract mix and the berry flavors are the predominant note. And even though I know it's probably getting to work on a nice plump stomach tumor even as I type........I still really like it.

View Profile of PalmtreePat Send a personal message to PalmtreePat      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CosmoReverb
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-04-16 10:36 am   Permalink

I've heard whisperings that BG Reynolds might be including a Fassionola in a new group of syrups that they will be doing a kickstarter to fund in the near future.

Anyone can confirm?

View Profile of CosmoReverb Send a personal message to CosmoReverb      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JCorduroy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-04-20 10:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-04-16 10:36, CosmoReverb wrote:
I've heard whisperings that BG Reynolds might be including a Fassionola in a new group of syrups that they will be doing a kickstarter to fund in the near future.

Anyone can confirm?

Yup, Red Fassionola is indeed on of his new syrups being brought to market in Kickstarter, along with Gardenia Mix, Honey Mix, Devil's Reef Pineapple Molasses, and Hazelnut Orgeat. You can see them all in their store on their website - they're currently marked as Sold Out, but noted in the descriptions as 'Coming Soon! Check our news for Kickstarter info!', with the exception of the Hazelnut Orgeat, which is just 'Coming Soon' - not sure if that'll be a KS syrup or not.

View Profile of JCorduroy Send a personal message to JCorduroy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JCorduroy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2018-05-03 07:55 am   Permalink

For those who were curious, Blair's Kickstarter is now live - some great rewards in there!

http://kck.st/2JNlGdY

View Profile of JCorduroy Send a personal message to JCorduroy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2018-05-03 11:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2018-05-03 07:55, JCorduroy wrote:
For those who were curious, Blair's Kickstarter is now live - some great rewards in there!

http://kck.st/2JNlGdY

Thanks for the heads up. That got funded quickly!

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BG_Reynolds

Posted: 2018-05-03 7:59 pm   Permalink

Thank you so much for posting this. I saw the Tikiroom.com referral and was so excited! Been a LONG time since I've been around on here, but I think about it often.

Cheers!

View Profile of BG_Reynolds Send a personal message to BG_Reynolds  Goto the website of BG_Reynolds     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2018-10-05 11:55 am   Permalink

Any Kickstarter contributors receive their BG fassionola yet? They're starting to surface but mine's not arrived yet. Can't wait to put it to use.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kkocka
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2018-10-05 7:13 pm   Permalink

I haven't received my Kickstarter package yet but I did get some honey and fassionola from Blair when we met while he was at Disneyland. I haven't put it to use yet though because I'm taking a big drinking break.

View Profile of kkocka Send a personal message to kkocka      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hamo

Posted: 30 days ago; 6:16 pm   Permalink

My box came on Monday. The fassionola has a distinct passion fruit flavor (but a thinner consistency than Blair's passion fruit syrup), with some hint of cherry in the background. I'm enjoying it in a Cobra's Fang right now.

I still need to try Jonathan English's, too.

View Profile of Hamo Send a personal message to Hamo  Goto the website of Hamo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation