FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Fassionola?
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Fassionola?
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-28 11:32 pm   Permalink

I have the Don The Beachcomber Drink book and it references an ingrediant called Fassionola. After searching on Google for Fassionola, the only thing that comes up is this neat article about the Mai Kai. You should take a look at this link it is interesting.
http://www.cocktail.com/destinations/2001/MaiKaiPolynesianPotionParadise.html

Does anyone know anything about Fassionola? I feel as though, I need to mix some with rum! Please help me.

Cheers,

KT

[ This Message was edited by: Kreaky Tiki on 2003-09-04 08:34 ]

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-29 07:21 am   Permalink

High Times Liquor in Costa Mesa has it. There are two kinds green and red.
Mahalo,
Al

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-08-29 12:09 pm   Permalink

Thank you! I'm all over it! I bet they some other great mixers, as well.

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gatorjwade
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-03 10:51 am   Permalink

Anyone got a phone number or address on High Times Liquors in Costa Mesa? When I searched on yellowpages.com all I found was a High Time Inc. in Long Beach. (Maybe I can slide by while I'm out there for the Tiki Room 40th - I too have not had luck finding fassionola.)
Thanks!

View Profile of gatorjwade Send a personal message to gatorjwade  Email gatorjwade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Traderpup
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-03 11:04 am   Permalink

Here's the Hi Time website:

http://www.hitimewine.com

View Profile of Traderpup Send a personal message to Traderpup  Email Traderpup Goto the website of Traderpup     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Skipper

Posted: 2003-09-03 12:20 pm   Permalink

Like Kreaky Tiki, I had the urge to grab a bottle of Fassionola so I can start making some of the Beachcomber's concoctions (many of the drinks call for it), but after stopping by the Hi-Times over the weekend I found out they no longer carry it.

Apparently they couldn't sell the stuff, and their distributor stopped carrying it. Maybe if enough TC'ers request it, they'll try and put it back on the shelves.

On a side note, there is a sidebar in the Beachcomber book that mentions substituting Hawaiian Punch for Fassionola if you don't have any on hand. Al, is this a feasible substitution?

Oh, the Hi-Times website is:
www.hitimewine.com. They do mail order. If you live out-of-state there's no sales tax.

View Profile of The Skipper Send a personal message to The Skipper      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-04 1:20 pm   Permalink

I sent an email this morning to inquire about the availability of Fassionola. Below is the reply!

A 750ml bottle retails at $4.79.

Best regards,
Beatrice, Hi-Time Wine Cellars
800/331-3005, Ext.255

Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-04 3:36 pm   Permalink

Well, after making the call... they do not carry it anymore. I just got off of the phone with a Bartender at the Mai Kai, and he confirmed the bad news... The company that had been making Fassionola, no longer makes it. He forgot who that was. If any has a bottle please post the info so we can call the manufacture to try and have it resurrected:(

KT

freddiefreelance
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-04 4:17 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-04 15:36, Kreaky Tiki wrote:
Well, after making the call... they do not carry it anymore. I just got off of the phone with a Bartender at the Mai Kai, and he confirmed the bad news... The company that had been making Fassionola, no longer makes it. He forgot who that was. If any has a bottle please post the info so we can call the manufacture to try and have it resurrected:(
KT

...Or get the recipe & make your own.

There can't be that big a market, but selling it as a Lounge/Exotica specialty @ swapmeets, &c. might getcha a couple bucks. Give it a mock-Shag label & put "The Rat-Pack's Favorite..." on the label...

View Profile of freddiefreelance Send a personal message to freddiefreelance      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-15 3:45 pm   Permalink

I'm bumping this in the hope that someone out there might help me in my quest to locate a bottle of original Fassionola and thus have the basic ingredients list and/or manufacturer name.

My goal is to try and develop a recipe for homemade fassionola. I'll do all the leg work if one of you has the info.

Anyone got a bottle or know where an old school liquor store might be that could have some on a shelf?

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-16 11:32 am   Permalink

The red Fassionola Al was refering to is called something like Gold Tropical Fruit Mix by a company with "English" in its name. I'm not home right now but I'll check it later.

I bought Hi Time's entire remaining stock (they had about 5) for ITD and gave them as gifts to Tiki Centralites who organized the event. These people know who they are.
I was wondering about getting more of this, as it's really good. Unfortunately I think they stopped making those.

I don't think it tastes like Hawaiian Punch, but I'll have to try it side by side. BTW - it's very thick and syrupy, so the consistency is differnt than the punch.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-16 2:44 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-11-16 11:32, kick_the_reverb wrote:
The red Fassionola Al was refering to is called something like Gold Tropical Fruit Mix by a company with "English" in its name. I'm not home right now but I'll check it later.

I bought Hi Time's entire remaining stock (they had about 5) for ITD and gave them as gifts to Tiki Centralites who organized the event. These people know who they are.
I was wondering about getting more of this, as it's really good. Unfortunately I think they stopped making those.

I don't think it tastes like Hawaiian Punch, but I'll have to try it side by side. BTW - it's very thick and syrupy, so the consistency is differnt than the punch.

Ran

Excellent! now we're getting somewhere. I look forward to hearing more from you when you get home.

You said it was thick and syrupy. Is the flavor just a tropical fruit "red" kind of thing like any number of red colored tropical fruit drinks? I mean to say that, could it be as simple as reducing Hawaiian Punch to a syrup?

Anyone else care to chime in?

Cheers!

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2004-11-16 3:09 pm   Permalink

Hawaiian punch used to be available in a concentrated syrup form in 16 oz. glass bottles. It would be interesting to find out how close it comes to Fassionola if one can find it.

The history page for HP says that it started as a tropical fruit syrup for topping ice cream.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-16 3:22 pm   Permalink

Well, there are a few syrup companies making "Tropical Fruit Syrup". I'm sure they are artificially flavored bar syrup, but if they are similar to Fassionola in flavor then we might be getting somewhere.

I still need to hear from the folks who got bottles of the original stuff from KTR.

Good call Jab, that might be a solid lead. Perhaps the Don Beach book (which is full of editing errors and mistakes) intended to recomend Hawaiian Punch syrup as a substitute?

Somebody witha bottle of Fassionola have the time to give us a flavor write up? Or would someone care to ship a small sample my way? I'd be able to match it most accurately I think.

Edited to add:

I had never heard of HP syrup before, so I checked out thejabs lead and found out that the same stuff is now available as a frozen concentrate. Same thing, just less water and different packaging. One could easily make a suitable bar syrup with it provided it is close in flavor to Fassionola. That would make more sense when a recipe asks for only a 1/4 ounce of it. Nice work so far folks.

Cheers!

Ahu

[ This Message was edited by: Ku Ku Ahu on 2004-11-16 15:48 ]

kick_the_reverb
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-11-17 11:12 am   Permalink

Ok, yesterday I looked at my bottle and it's:
Jonatahn English's Brand Red Tropical Gold Fruit Mix.
Distributed by Jonatahn English Company, San Diego CA 92120.
So, I looked in the yellow pages and found that the company still exists. I called the number - (619) 281-1133, and told them I was interested in knowing where could I get the syrup, because I was told it's no longer in production. The receptionist took my name and number and said someone will call me back.
So - let's wait a few days and see if someone does call me back.

I also looked online for the syrup name and the company, but no luck (just phone book entries for the company).

BTW: if you're interested in the contents here's what the bottle says:
Corn Sweetener, Water, Orange Juice Con., Citric Acid, Xanthan Gum, Nat. & Art. Flavor, Sodium Benzoate as a oreservative, Art. Color, Yellow #6.

Nothing that actually helps...

Al said he got another one from Hi Times (when he got the red one), and it was green and actually said Fassionola on it. I haven't seen that bottle yet, maybe if Al has time he can shed some light on the subject.

Ran

View Profile of kick_the_reverb Send a personal message to kick_the_reverb  Email kick_the_reverb Goto the website of kick_the_reverb     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation