FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Fassionola?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Fassionola?
cathuna
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2011-03-17 06:18 am   Permalink

No chance of finding Fassionola here in the UK. However I did spot this in a local supermarket:

It's bright red, so the colour fits the bill alright! *ponders whether to buy it anyway*

View Profile of cathuna Send a personal message to cathuna      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2011-03-18 12:01 pm   Permalink

I just got a sample of Fassionola. I don't see much challenge in recreating it using high quality, natural ingredients.

This will, of course, be heavily tested *hic* at the Trader Tiki official science lab and mixotorium.

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jokeiii
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-02-02 09:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2011-03-18 12:01, Trader Tiki wrote:
I just got a sample of Fassionola. I don't see much challenge in recreating it using high quality, natural ingredients.

This will, of course, be heavily tested *hic* at the Trader Tiki official science lab and mixotorium.

Any progress on this front?

Mahalo in advance,

View Profile of jokeiii Send a personal message to jokeiii  Goto the website of jokeiii     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-03 09:43 am   Permalink

Maybe this stuff?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-03 10:48 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-03 09:43, Swanky wrote:
Maybe this stuff?

Yep, same seller on eBay that gave us his only comment ever on TC. Here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=5331&forum=10&vpost=472517

And three bottles have been purchased since you posted the link Tim!

[ This Message was edited by: WestADad 2012-05-03 10:51 ]

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Fallenstar
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-04 12:37 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-03 09:43, Swanky wrote:
Maybe this stuff?

I ordered a bottle last week. Arrived today, will be trying it tomorrow.

View Profile of Fallenstar Send a personal message to Fallenstar      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-15 3:35 pm   Permalink

On 2012-05-03 10:48, WestADad wrote:
Quote:

And three bottles have been purchased since you posted the link Tim!

One of those bottles landed at The Atomic Grog, where we've incorporated it into our Cobra Kiss tribute:
http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/11/20/mai-kai-cocktail-review-cobra-kiss-is-an-exotic-taste-explosion-guaranteed-to-strike-your-fancy/

Here's an excerpt:

There’s a huge difference between real fassionola and Pat O’Brien’s mix, which we subsequently dumped down the drain. It’s thicker, richer and has a darker color. It also tastes much less artificial, like a real fruit syrup. The flavor is cherry/raspberry with a hint of orange. If you can find a good fruit syrup that has this same flavor, I would try that. Or use Pat O’Brien’s in a pinch. But I would now recommend using the powdered version and making it twice as strong as suggested on the label.

Or keep checking eBay for Jonathan English's fassionola. It appears to be the real deal.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-15 6:23 pm   Permalink

I bought a bottle too. I'll try the Atomic Grog recipe this weekend.

I've used it in a few recipes that call for passion fruit syrup, using half passion fruit syrup and half Jonathan English.

I'm tempted to get a bottle of the gold just to see if it's a different flavor than the red.

Cheers!
Chris

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-15 8:57 pm   Permalink

I have purchsed bottles of all three, red, gold and green and while they share a similar profile they are quite distinct.

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-17 6:47 pm   Permalink

A bottle of red is now coming my way....

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-18 09:15 am   Permalink

Can someone who's used the fassionola say how the flavor compares to passion fruit syrup? I've been theorizing that fassionola may be to passion fruit syrup as Rose's is to real grenadine.

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2012-05-18 09:21 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-05-18 09:15, arriano wrote:
Can someone who's used the fassionola say how the flavor compares to passion fruit syrup? I've been theorizing that fassionola may be to passion fruit syrup as Rose's is to real grenadine.

Check out Mai Tai's first post on page three of this thread.

Quote:

On 2009-07-14 14:32, Mai Tai wrote:
So, to recap, Fassionola is basically a fruit punch concentrate that doesn't have any passion fruit juice in it.

So in a way, yes, Fassionola has no passion fruit in it, just like Rose's has no pomegranate in it.

Hurricane Hayward, on the Atomic Grog blog says this about Fassionola; "The flavor is cherry/raspberry with a hint of orange."

[ This Message was edited by: Hakalugi 2012-05-18 09:31 ]

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-05-22 3:38 pm   Permalink

I just received a bottle of the English brand - Yikes! It is extremely concentrated and SWEET.
I made all three of the Atomic Grog recipes using Fassionala and couldn't even finish one drink - they were all just too sweet for my taste. I'm going to have to tinker with the recipes and scale down the "sweetness" and see if I can find a nice balance with the suggested rums. Did I mention SWEET?

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rawim
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-22 10:25 pm   Permalink

Yes, you really do have to use the stuff sparingly. It is almost a candy syrup.

View Profile of Rawim Send a personal message to Rawim  Goto the website of Rawim     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-23 3:39 pm   Permalink

Another recipe using Fassionola is posted ... The Mai-Kai's Tahitian Breeze.

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/05/19/mai-kai-cocktail-review-tasty-tahitian-breeze-is-packed-with-tropical-flavors-history/

As pointed out, this is sweet stuff. Makes sense that it's mainly used in very sweet drinks.

I've got a theory that perhaps it was also used as a coloring agent to make drinks look pretty, as opposed to being a crucial flavor ingredient. The color is just as concentrated as the flavor.

That could also explain why it was left out of old recipes that have been recently revived. With many drinks now served in Tiki mugs, it's just not that crucial, unless you're a professional bar that needs very attractive looking drinks. The only one so far that I think really benefits from the flavor is the Cobra Kiss.

Another theory is that The Mai-Kai doesn't use Fassionola straight out of the bottle. My guess is it's combined with a few other things into a proprietary mix. There's something in old recipes called "No. 7" that remains a mystery.

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation