FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Tiki Drinks and Food » » Fassionola?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
Fassionola?
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-03 12:44 am   Permalink

You can stop trolling eBay. Thanks to an Atomic Grog reader, we may have a very viable fassionola substitute:

A 50/50 mix of Fee Brothers grenadine and Smucker's Red Raspberry Syrup (left) is very close in color and taste to Jonathan English brand fassionola.

We put it to the test in our Cobra Kiss and Jet Pilot tributes, with excellent results:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/11/20/mai-kai-cocktail-review-cobra-kiss-is-an-exotic-taste-explosion-guaranteed-to-strike-your-fancy/#fassionola

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/07/mai-kai-cocktail-review-jet-pilot-soars-over-its-ancestors-with-flying-colors/#tribute

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
CincyTikiCraig
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-03 8:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-03 00:44, Hurricane Hayward wrote:
You can stop trolling eBay. Thanks to an Atomic Grog reader, we may have a very viable fassionola substitute:

A 50/50 mix of Fee Brothers grenadine and Smucker's Red Raspberry Syrup (left) is very close in color and taste to Jonathan English brand fassionola.

We put it to the test in our Cobra Kiss and Jet Pilot tributes, with excellent results:

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2011/11/20/mai-kai-cocktail-review-cobra-kiss-is-an-exotic-taste-explosion-guaranteed-to-strike-your-fancy/#fassionola

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2012/02/07/mai-kai-cocktail-review-jet-pilot-soars-over-its-ancestors-with-flying-colors/#tribute

You, my friend, have hit the ball out of the park once again BRAVO!

View Profile of CincyTikiCraig Send a personal message to CincyTikiCraig      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
arriano
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-04 10:58 am   Permalink

I just had a funny thought: Any chance that Hawaiian Punch syrup IS fassionola?

View Profile of arriano Send a personal message to arriano      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-04 12:49 pm   Permalink

Refrigerate after mixing? Self life? Add a little 151 to extend shelf life?

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2012-07-05 10:22 am   Permalink

Shelf life is probalby the same as the Smucker's and Fees, which is quite a while if you keep them in the fridge ... though the interaction of the two long-term is unknown. I would just keep the Smucker's on hand (it could be good in other drinks, and it's cheap) and mix up small batches with the grenadine when needed.

HH

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-07-12 1:56 pm   Permalink

A new fassionola recipe has surfaced, thanks to Colin Powers, who writes the Cocktail Hour column for The Oregonian in Portland. He's also involved with events at Trader Vic's and Tiki Kon, and recently helped bring the Cobra Kiss to a special Vic's menu. Here's his full article:
http://www.oregonlive.com/dining/index.ssf/2013/07/time_for_a_tropical_adventure.html

And the fassionola recipe:

Fassionola: This tropical fruit syrup is hard to find but you can approximate it by bring together raspberry, cherry and orange flavors. Mix 1/4 cup Smucker's raspberry syrup (or raspberry puree), 1/4 cup grenadine or cherry syrup and 1/2 teaspoon orange extract. Grenadine traditionally has a pomegranate flavor though many today use a cherry flavoring. For this recipe, I made a homemade grenadine using a cherry-pomegranate juice blend cooked down with an equal part sugar and a splash of orange flower water. If you have dried hibiscus flowers, they're a lovely addition.

MadDogMike
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2013-09-13 06:23 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-04 10:58, arriano wrote:
I just had a funny thought: Any chance that Hawaiian Punch syrup IS fassionola?

WalMart carries a Rival brand Fruit Juicy Red Hawaiian Punch Snow Cone Syrup. As I remember, it taste very similar to the HP concentrate of the 60s ~ maybe not quite as tangy? It was marked down to a buck which probably means there are not going to carry it anymore.

View Profile of MadDogMike Send a personal message to MadDogMike  Goto the website of MadDogMike     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-13 8:29 pm   Permalink

this is one of my favorite zydeco songs of all time.

"Faaaaa-sha-no-la... Be my little cajun queen...
to stand beside you, sweet Fassionola
I'd even swim the Pontchartrain...!"

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 11 days ago; 01:31 am   Permalink

An interesting recipe just surfaced from a rum bar in London that not only riffs on the Jet Pilot, but also includes an alternative recipe for fassionola.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/recipes/10923466/Cocktail-of-the-week-the-Autopilot.html

The fassionola recipe is 1 part orange extract to 10 parts Monin grenadine and 10 parts Monin raspberry syrup. I haven't tasted the Monin syrups, so I can't necessarily recommend this, but it seems like it should be a decent enough replica. Especially if you don't have access to Smucker's Red Raspberry Syrup (I understand it's not available in the U.K.) The article refers to fassionola as a "red-fruit syrup that was hugely popular with bartenders in Florida during the Tiki craze, but is no longer in production." Hmmmm, I can think of one particular bar and bartender this may be referring to.

The drink itself is decent enough as well. The mixologist has obviously been studying Donn Beach. It seems like a large amount of fassionola, but it actually balances pretty well thanks to the rums. If anyone's interested, I worked out the proportions in ounces and tweaked a few ingredients:

Autopilot (Sean Fennelly, Portside Parlour, London)
* 1 ounce silver rum
* 1 ounce Appleton Estate VX
* 1 ounce Lemon Hart 151 (or Gosling's 151)
* 1 3/4 ounce grapefruit juice
* 1 1/4 ounce lime juice
* 3/4 ounce fassionola
* 1/2 ounce demerara syrup
* 1 dash Angostura bitters
* 2 dashes absinthe (or 1 dash Pernod)

The recipe calls for shaking with lots of ice and straining into a tall glass filled with crushed ice. I just pulse blended in a spindle mixer with lots of crushed ice.

If you're looking for another recipe to use fassionola, this isn't a bad one at all.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2014-07-13 01:45 ]

Atomic Tiki Punk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 02:12 am   Permalink

I recommend the Monin syrups, they are made from natural sugar & flavors
no artificial crap or High fructose corn syrup (HFCS)
they can be on the sweet side, I use a few of them in my cocktails.

View Profile of Atomic Tiki Punk Send a personal message to Atomic Tiki Punk      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 11 days ago; 05:15 am   Permalink

Hayward, thanks for the great info. Can you comment on the Absinthe/Pernod ingredient and why two dashes absinthe but only one dash of Pernod? Do you find Pernod stronger than absinthe? I have both at home, but thought I'd ask for the benefit of others here (and myself) rather than do a side-by-side test. Thanks.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 11 days ago; 05:25 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-07-04 12:49, MadDogMike wrote:
Refrigerate after mixing? Self life? Add a little 151 to extend shelf life?

With regard to shelf life, I never use any 151 as a preservative because it comes with some flavor regardless of brand. I have been using grain neutral spirits (Everclear) for years with great success. When I make Falernum, for example, I add 4 ounces of Everclear as the very last step before I bottle it. Many have told me in the past to just "add an ounce of Everclear" but I have through the years found that for most syrup recipes you need to add much more to achieve enough alcohol content to act as a preservative. Additionally, in my Falernum, this much additional alcohol prevents the "extra" Falernum from solidifying in my freezer and therefore instantly available when I need to pull from long-term storage.

The flavor impact in a cocktail is negligible. I have been making Falernum #8 instead of Falernum #9 because the differences between #8 and #9 are negligible and using fresh almonds in #9 does not make a huge difference to me despite potentially being "more authentic."

Hope this info is helpful to others out there.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 11 days ago; 07:41 am   Permalink

To address a question asked above, it's curious that the recipe calls for 2 dashes of absinthe or 1 dash of Pernod.

The "amount of flavor" (so to speak) in absinthe and pastis is approximately the same, while absinthe is generally higher proof.

So this makes no sense to me.

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 11 days ago; 11:21 am   Permalink

While not necessarily stronger in proof, I've always thought Pernod was stronger in that distinctive licorice flavor that you taste in cocktails than is absinthe (at least the bottle of Absente that I have). I suppose it's possible that there will be some variation in different absinthes, and the Pernod brand of absinthe may have that same strong licorice flavor as its pastis. But in my experience, Pernod is much less forgiving and more likely to overwhelm a drink, so I always recommend being more cautious with it. Herbsaint seems to be somewhere in the middle, less intense than Pernod but not as smooth as absinthe. Of course, this is all very unscientific and perhaps just personal taste.

Perhaps someone more scholarly should do a scientific head-to-head comparison of the three. Professor?

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2014-07-13 11:23 ]

TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 11 days ago; 11:53 am   Permalink

People seem to forget that taste is incredibly individual, and is largely determined by genes. There are "super taster" test strips you can order online from places like Amazon that you can use with your friends to show how varied it can be. To a super taster, the strips taste unbearably bitter. Normal tasters think it's bitter, but manageable. Non-tasters won't taste anything but paper. Then there's the super smellers, who will get nuances from food and drink that others don't. People who dislike cilantro tend to be super smellers—they get a component from the cilantro that is often described as "soapy."

With so much variation, it's no surprise that there's so much disagreement about what tastes "the best."

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation