FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Fassionola?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
Fassionola?
wizzard419
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-13 1:52 pm   Permalink

Except that a super-taster also prefers blander food (typically) since they get overstimulated too easily. Unlike other enhanced senses, theirs does not offer a practical application in modern society (such as if they were a flavor designer). The theory behind STs is that the trait is a left over evolutionary mechanism that allowed the species to survive during the foraging years. Since toxic plants tended to be bitter, those with stronger aversions to the plants were better suited to survive.

View Profile of wizzard419 Send a personal message to wizzard419      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Chip and Andy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-07-14 7:26 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-07-13 05:25, AceExplorer wrote:
Quote:

On 2012-07-04 12:49, MadDogMike wrote:
Refrigerate after mixing? Self life? Add a little 151 to extend shelf life?

With regard to shelf life, I never use any 151 as a preservative because it comes with some flavor regardless of brand. I have been using grain neutral spirits (Everclear) for years with great success. When I make Falernum, for example, I add 4 ounces of Everclear as the very last step before I bottle it. Many have told me in the past to just "add an ounce of Everclear"

The goal of proofing a syrup/flavoring/creations is to get it up around approximately 10% alcohol content by volume. That is a high enough proof to kill off most things that would grow in there that would turn your creation bad. It gives your creation several weeks of storage under your bar (if you keep it capped and relatively stable in temperature) or several months of storage potential in the chill-box.

Using 151 makes the math a bit easier because it is 75% alcohol. Everclear is pretty close in proof, generally, so that works too. To do the math you need 10% of your total volume times the amount of alcohol in your proofing choice. If you made 20 ounces of Fassinola and you want it shelf-stable you need at least 2 ounces of alcohol. Divide the volume needed by the ABV (151 proof is 75% alcohol by volume) as a percentage and you get 2.6 ounces, 2 .75 = 2.6. Round up for easy pouring and you would add 3 ounces of Everclear/151 to your mix.

As with all homebrew and homemade creations, your mileage will vary. I've had batches last for months and I've had batches turn sour in just a couple of days. Cleanliness is next to godliness, wash your hands, sterilize your bottles, hope for the best, and a dozen other helpful cliches and tips.

View Profile of Chip and Andy Send a personal message to Chip and Andy  Email Chip and Andy Goto the website of Chip and Andy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-07-15 08:34 am   Permalink

Chip and Andy - great follow up and advice! I don't see many folks mentioning the need to sterilize bottles before bottling homemade syrups, so that's a great reminder to me and others. I have in the past been baffled by simple syrup sometimes having a very short shelf life in my fridge despite the low temperature. Bottle contamination must have been involved. As a result of that experience I haven't completely bought into the belief that high enough sugar content in a syrup will prevent spoilage.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-07 08:21 am   Permalink

I've had an unwavering craving for a Special Reserve Daiquiri since trying it for the first time at the Mai Kai a couple weeks ago. I contemplated purchasing the $19 John English Fassionola off ebay but figured I might as well give the homemade version a shot. And since the only grenadine I can seem to find in my area is Rose's or others loaded with HFCS I figure I might as well make my own of that too. So I hit a couple local markets for supplies and realize Smucker's red raspberry syrup is not as common as I figured it would be. I scoured the ice cream topping and preserves/jam sections but no trace of it. Have others run into this problem? I'm wondering if I just need to try some more stores or if this is an uncommon product that will have to be ordered online. If that's the case I'll probably just splurge on the English mix.

Alternatively, is it possible to use the raspberry preserves instead and obtain the proper consistency, assuming the flavor is the same as the syrup?

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-07 12:08 pm   Permalink

Mike I have no problem finding the Smucker's raspberry syrup on Publix shelves in FL.

I think trying to use preserves instead of syrup you will run into two problems. First, the flavor won't be as concentrated so you will need to use more of it. Second, with all the pectin in the preserves I think you will have a challenge getting it to dissolve and I think you'll have clumps and chunks that won't want to go into solution. If you do go that route, let us know how it works.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiHardBop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-07 3:15 pm   Permalink

I ran into the same thing and I think I ended up finding it someplace you'd never think to look for it. I'm thinking the coffee flavorings aisle.

View Profile of TikiHardBop Send a personal message to TikiHardBop  Goto the website of TikiHardBop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-07 6:55 pm   Permalink

S&R: Thanks for the advice, I'll continue my search for the syrup. Don't want to over-complicate things. I sure do miss Publix and wish we had them here in Texas.

THB: I checked the coffee section as well and they only some some Torani-type products, nothing fruity.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-07 7:26 pm   Permalink

Check the breakfast aisle where the pancake syrup is, that's where it it is here. I just checked today to be sure.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Wichita Lime Man
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-10-08 07:54 am   Permalink

Our local Kroger affiliate doesn't have it, nor does the local Wal-Mart. Must not be much demand here.

I did find a non-Smuckers brand at a local grocery that specializes in health/organic food, but it contained seeds and didn't work out well.

I was discussing it with my son and he said "They have it at IHOP, why not just go over there and ask for some?"

He's much wiser than me. Gets that from his Mom.

View Profile of Wichita Lime Man Send a personal message to Wichita Lime Man      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-10 7:08 pm   Permalink

OK, so I checked the pancake syrup section of a couple places and they both had strawberry and blueberry but no raspberry. Looking at the ingredients on those bottles I noticed there was HFCS and preservatives. So I'm thinking I should try and make my own syrup from fresh raspberries, which will hopefully result in a better product, albeit one with a shorter lifespan. But since I'm making my own grenadine with real pom juice, the shelf life will be limited anyway. Sooooo.... any suggestions on how to go about making homemade raspberry syrup? I'll google it but wondering if anyone here has gone to that extreme and if this is worth all the effort when a $18 bottle of fassionola is an ebay click away...

djmont
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-11 06:43 am   Permalink

It's starting to sound like a lot of trouble...

But to make the syrup, I think you just combine the fruit with sugar and a little water and cook it. Maybe some citrus to brighten it up, and a thickener, if necessary

View Profile of djmont Send a personal message to djmont  Email djmont Goto the website of djmont     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-11 2:14 pm   Permalink

Alright, last night I made my first batch of homemade grenadine (left) and raspberry syrup (right), then I combined equal parts to make fassionola.

The process took maybe an hour including cool down time and it was streamlined with assistance from my better half (OK, she pretty much took control of this operation). We followed the raspberry syrup recipe below:

http://toriavey.com/toris-kitchen/2013/08/homemade-raspberry-syrup/

It came out real thin (better for cocktails than pancakes) and full of flavor. Since I've never tried fassionola before I can't say whether this blend is as good, better or worse than the bottled kind but it made a for a very interesting ingredient that I look forward to experimenting with in cocktails.

Since I had some leftover grenadine I went ahead and compared my pomegranate, sugar and orange flower water concoction to the Rose's I had on hand. Since I don't know how to properly dissect the intricacies of these flavors, I'll just say that the homemade version seemed to have more "bite" to it and none of the cough medicine flavor that the HFCS laced variety possesses. I also did a side by side blind taste test comparison of the two in identically mixed cocktails. The difference wasn't overwhelmingly apparent although I did choose the one with homemade grenadine as the better drink as I felt it was a bit smoother and didn't have a bitter aftertaste.

So that's my two cents for what it's worth. I'll continue to play around with this stuff for the next couple weeks (assuming that's roughly my shelf life), but I'll probably still buy the English stuff to compare it and see if homemade is worth the effort.

thePorpoise
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-12 5:32 pm   Permalink

mike hooker from hialeah, maybe the ice cream toppings section of your grocery store has raspberry syrup.

also Target probably has it on their coffee aisle.

View Profile of thePorpoise Send a personal message to thePorpoise  Email thePorpoise     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-12 7:35 pm   Permalink

Yeah I checked the ice cream topping section of a couple stores and no luck. I did find some Torani raspberry syrup at the World Market after I already made my own. Like Smuckers it has HFCS. I figure if I continue to make my own fassionola I might as well do it all natural. Otherwise I'll just use the bottled stuff. At any rate, I just made a Cobra's Fang subbing Coruba for Myers and tangerine for OJ. Tasty.

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-10-15 10:31 pm   Permalink

Wow, Mike that's great dedication. But I'm afraid you'll find out that it will be difficult to make something at home (unless you have a chemistry lab) that's as highly concentrated as the Jonathan English fassionola. Not to say that what you're making isn't great and won't work fine in many cocktails. It just won't impart the same flavor and color into those Mai-Kai cocktails that call for it. I'm certain that it was included in several drinks mainly to enhance the color. Brown drinks just aren't as sexy.

By the same token, the flavor combination of rich grenadine and Smucker's red raspberry syrup might be something that can be duplicated, but those products probably contain enhaners and flavor boosters that also add extra punch.

So while your experiments are noble, I'm afraid you're going to fall a little short, at least if you're trying to duplicate cocktails that rely on the syrup's intensity in small doses. You're pretty much trying to replicate a substitute for the real thing, so it may be too far from the original flavor.

I would be very intrested to see how the Jonathan English brand compares, if you do pick up that bottle on eBay. I'd say it's worth the $19.

Okole maluna!

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2014-10-15 22:34 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation