FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Fassionola?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
Fassionola?
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 11:32 am   Permalink

BTW, you suggest the red, how did you decide the red was best vs the gold and green?

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 11:57 pm   Permalink

Swanky, I don't really know much about the gold and green. I'm guessing it's the same flavor, but definitely not the color we're looking for. It seems like fassionola's boom in popularity can be traced back to the distinctively red Hurricane. Has anyone heard of gold or green fassionola being used in cocktails? Perhaps there are other uses for it, like sno-cones.

The Mai-Kai Hurricane ...

http://www.slammie.com/atomicgrog/blog/2014/07/15/tales-of-the-cocktails-signature-drink-packs-a-wallop-but-can-it-tame-a-hurricane-inspired-by-the-mai-kai/

[ This Message was edited by: Hurricane Hayward 2014-10-18 00:00 ]

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 05:19 am   Permalink

I use the gold. I feel like somebody over there told me the gold was actually the one used in the tiki bars of old. But I don't remember now. I concur it's definitely worth the price. I've had that bottle forever.

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
happy buddha
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 4 days ago; 05:21 am   Permalink

It's still a rich red color btw

View Profile of happy buddha Send a personal message to happy buddha  Goto the website of happy buddha     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jamoke
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 4 days ago; 12:59 pm   Permalink

I'm a bit confused as to which version of Fassionola (red-gold-green) is the proper one to use in Tiki drinks. Most of this thread refers to the red version but the Jonathan English website suggests the gold (passion fruit?) is what was used back in the 40's.

Here is the Jonathan English description of each of the products:

----------------
Fassionola Red Syrup (Tropical Gold Fruit):
Fassionola Bar Mix for tropical drinks comes in three colors: Red, gold and Green. Each has its own special tropical flavor, it is not just a color difference. Tropical Red is somewhat similar to hurricane mix with its complex mixture of tropical fruits and candy-like sweetener. Available in 12/32oz PET Bar Bottles.
----------------
Fassionola Gold Syrup (Tropical Gold Fruit):
A complex mixture of tropical fruit and unusual candy-like sweetener. It is a lesser known mix found in tiki type tropical drinks first popularized in the Pacific Islands nearly 100 years ago. The product had its hey day in the 1940's but still has its afficianados today from Chinese restaurants, tiki bars and individual enthusiasts. We kept this product alive, made the same way since 1914. Thanks to you bartenders at the Tiki bars for helping keep this excellent product alive.
----------------
Fassionola Green Syrup (Tropical Gold Fruit):
Here is a unique product, originally formulated under the Fassionola label in 1914. A Tiki bar favorite; also used in Chinese Restaurant bars to make conconctions such as the "Volcano" drink. A unique mix which has a candy-based sweetener, and natural, fresh green guava fruit flavor. Packed shelf stable for long bar shelf life in 12/32oz PET bar bottles.
----------------

The flavors sound very different and recipes do not differentiate.
Any thoughts on this?

View Profile of jamoke Send a personal message to jamoke      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 4 days ago; 2:16 pm   Permalink

Thanks for pointing that. Now I'm very curious to know if Gold is the way to go. I ordered the red a few days ago assuming that was what everyone was using and didn't bother reading the descriptions of the others....

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2 days ago; 6:05 pm   Permalink

Got my bottle of English's red fassionola today. There is definitely a color and consistency difference between it and my homemade batch (English is thicker and darker) but the taste is very similar. So far I've only tried the English in a Special Reserve Daiquiri and I believe it was a better cocktail than the one I made last week with my own fassionola. As a quick refresher, since it had been recommended to combine equal parts Fee Bros grenadine and Smuckers raspberry syrup to make fassionola and I couldn't find either of those locally, I made my own grenadine and raspberry syrup from scratch. While it's cheaper and more natural, I'm not sure it's worth all the effort, especially given the short shelf life. At any rate I might as well continue experimenting with the two. Jet Pilot on deck.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Yesterday; 11:47 am   Permalink

Outback Steakhouse shot glasses? Someone send a couple of proper shooters STAT!

Couldn't resist...the discussion is fascinating.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: Yesterday; 12:53 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-10-21 11:47, Rum Balls wrote:
Outback Steakhouse shot glasses? Someone send a couple of proper shooters STAT!

Couldn't resist...the discussion is fascinating.

Ha! Figured I'd get some slack for that. My soon to be father in law runs an Outback in Jacksonville so we have a plentiful supply of shot glasses and steak knives. My only other options were Simpsons but they are frosted which would muck up my presentation. D'oh!

Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 12:34 am   Permalink

Some good points about the difference between the red and gold fassionola. I've been using the red in my Mai-Kai recipes that call for a boost of color and fruit flavor. I've had some confirmation that they do indeed use something similar there behind the bar in the same drinks (Cobra's Kiss, Special Reserve Daiquiri, et al.)

There are quite a few other drinks that feature a distinctive passion fruit syrup. But the color of these is not as noticeably red, so I always assumed it was a more traditional passion fruit syrup. Again, it's a unique syrup concoction of some sort, so perhaps it's a descendant or variation of gold fassionola. I'll have to pick up a bottle and compare. I've never truly been able to duplicate flavor of The Mai-Kai's passion fruit syrup.

Featuring The Mai-Kai Cocktail Guide

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker
Tiki Centralite

Posted: Today; 10:55 am   Permalink

Should the English fassionola be refrigerated after opening? Doesn't say so on the bottle and there's probably enough preservatives to keep it alive for a while but I'm thinking keep it cool just in case.

And I figure I might only have a few days left of my homemade batch before it starts spoiling so I made some Cobra's Kisses last night per Haywards tribute. Delicious drink on par with the Jet Pilot. Forgot to take a pic but it had a very nice color thanks to the fassionola.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation