FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Fassionola?
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
Fassionola?
mikehooker
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2015-09-07 3:29 pm   Permalink

This is what became of my Jon English after the four day power outage:

Pretty nasty.

Gonna make it at home from now on. The homemade raspberry syrup and grenadine version I made before just didn't cut through like the artificial stuff so I'll have to get store bought raspberry syrup or find a new recipe.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-07 10:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2015-09-07 15:29, mikehooker wrote:
This is what became of my Jon English after the four day power outage:

Pretty nasty.

Gonna make it at home from now on. The homemade raspberry syrup and grenadine version I made before just didn't cut through like the artificial stuff so I'll have to get store bought raspberry syrup or find a new recipe.

Hey Mike, Keep us posted on your results please.
Mahalo

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2015-09-28 12:20 am   Permalink

Looks like Jonathan English has a new site in the works ...
http://www.jonathanenglish.net/

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
stormrider
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2016-04-29 11:30 am   Permalink

I just found this stuff. I don't know if it's any good or anything about it.

http://store.cocktailandsons.com/Fassionola-p/00005.htm

Storm

View Profile of stormrider Send a personal message to stormrider      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JenTiki

Posted: 2016-04-29 1:08 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-29 11:30, stormrider wrote:

Storm

I picked up a bottle of that in Miami two weeks ago. The tiny sample I had was tasty (and sweet), but I'm not sure it's what Fassionala is supposed to be. Everything I'm reading says a lot about passion fruit, whereas this bottle says "hibiscus flowers" and "strawberries." I haven't done anything with it yet, but I might play with it this weekend.

View Profile of JenTiki Send a personal message to JenTiki  Goto the website of JenTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mikehooker

Posted: 2016-04-29 2:41 pm   Permalink

Quote:

Storm

Seems real pricey for the size of that bottle and doesn't look to be a thick syrup like the English stuff. It seems everyone has their own interpretation of what fassionola should be. At Lei Low in Houston their homemade fassionola is super heavy on passion fruit which tastes great on it's own and in their original creations but probably won't work in applications that specifically call for fassionola. I'm assuming that's the case with this stuff.

View Profile of mikehooker Send a personal message to mikehooker  Goto the website of mikehooker     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hurricane Hayward
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-04-30 06:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-04-29 14:41, mikehooker wrote:
Quote:

Storm

Seems real pricey for the size of that bottle and doesn't look to be a thick syrup like the English stuff. It seems everyone has their own interpretation of what fassionola should be. At Lei Low in Houston their homemade fassionola is super heavy on passion fruit which tastes great on it's own and in their original creations but probably won't work in applications that specifically call for fassionola. I'm assuming that's the case with this stuff.

Here's a story from Tales of the Cocktail on the new Cocktail & Sons fassionola, which seems to be very well-crafted from fresh ingredients. They're aiming to be authentic to the history of New Orleans, which is admirable. But, as pointed out, we're not sure what interpretation this is.
https://talesofthecocktail.com/products/welcome-back-fassionola-hurricanes-long-lost-ingredient

I too picked up a bottle at Miami Rum Festival, so I'll be putting it to the test. But considering its price and seasonal availability, I wouldn't consider it a reliable solution. A friend of mine is working on a homemade version. I'm hoping to taste it soon and see if it's viable.

The official blog of The Hukilau

View Profile of Hurricane Hayward Send a personal message to Hurricane Hayward  Email Hurricane Hayward Goto the website of Hurricane Hayward     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the_devils_tool

Posted: 2016-05-11 11:42 am   Permalink

I'm actually interested in the fassionola for a straight up Hurricane. I've already impressed my friends with Beachbum's passionfruit version but they didn't think it actually resembled (in color primarily) a normal Hurricane.

I ordered an ebay bottle of red, I'm curious to compare how it tastes in comparison to the powdered Hurricane mix (O'Briens) that you can find in every liquor store from here to eternity.

View Profile of the_devils_tool Send a personal message to the_devils_tool  Goto the website of the_devils_tool     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
the_devils_tool

Posted: 2016-10-29 11:37 am   Permalink

The first bottle I ordered I didn't get (my fault, long story).

I ordered another bottle this week for my girlfriend's birthday party - I made a huge batch of Hurricane with Mount Gay Eclipse (1.75L), Lemon Juice (29oz), and the English's Fassionola (29oz).

It was really really good. I was pretty impressed. The party goers liked it too, one commented that it was like Hawaiian Punch was pretty close but it wasn't as sweet (I know some people use Hawaiian Punch, I haven't tried that yet, wanted to see what Fassionola was like first)

Overall, it was a good change from all the passionfruit heavy drinks that I'm usually batching up for parties.

View Profile of the_devils_tool Send a personal message to the_devils_tool  Goto the website of the_devils_tool     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 5 days ago; 11:26 pm   Permalink

Moved from another thread:

Quote:

On 2016-12-05 13:17, coralreef wrote:
So what does Fassionola taste like.

I tried Jonathan Englishes Red Fassionola Tropical Gold Fruit Mix it taste like strawberries and may be orange to me. Mostly strawberries.

I made two batches of my own fassionola:

Smuckers Red Raspberry 1/4 cup,1/4 cup grenadine (made from POM) and 1/2 tsp orange extract. Taste like orange sherbet to me.

Smuckers Red Raspberry 1/4 cup,1/4 Monin Cherry syrup and 1/2 tsp orange extract. Taste is closer to Jonathan Englishes Red Fassionola , but tastes of maybe cherry and a little orange. Tastes better than the one made with grenadine.

Tried the version with grenadine in a Cobras Fang, really was lacking.

So what should Fassionola taste like?

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tonga Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 3 days ago; 07:24 am   Permalink

I use the Jonathan English's Red... a little goes a long way. I recommend adding a little vodka to stabilize any syrups that may take awhile to finish.

View Profile of Tonga Tiki Send a personal message to Tonga Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation