FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-10 10:39 pm   Permalink

Aloha

Good to know that this link is still active from the Honolulu Advertiser Archives even though the newspaper is defunct.

http://the.honoluluadvertiser.com/article/2003/Sep/10/bz/bz01a.html

There is plenty of shots and history of the International Market Place in "Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs."

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-06-15 20:06 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-11 01:06 am   Permalink

GECKO...You have to save the tikis!!! The plaques, too!

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-11 03:16 am   Permalink

nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-11 03:23 am   Permalink

check out this exotica tour of waikiki i found while searching for pics of the intl. marketplace.

http://www.kevdo.com/exotica/waikiki.html

View Profile of Futura Girl Send a personal message to Futura Girl  Goto the website of Futura Girl     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Futura Girl
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-11 03:31 am   Permalink

just found this image...

i have a postcard or 2 i should scan.

Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-09-11 09:15 am   Permalink

Well that blows. The IMP was one of my favorite haunts on our yearly trip to the islands.

Yeah, it was cheesy and nothing like it was in its glory days, but I still liked wandering through it in a drunken stupor.

The first time I was there was in 1974 with my dad and we saw Rip Taylor at Trader Vic's. Little did I know at the time that I should have been ripping off everything in sight!

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Luckydesigns
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-11 11:29 am   Permalink

I can't believe I missed seeing the IMP. It's too bad they can't just renovate the area and theme it into a 'Disney styled' attraction while maintaining the origninal goal and style of the IMP. It could be a huge tourist attraction.

What's your take, Gecko?

View Profile of Luckydesigns Send a personal message to Luckydesigns  Email Luckydesigns Goto the website of Luckydesigns     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-11 6:39 pm   Permalink

Article is still online as of today

Lava Rock Cafe patio. International Market Place. 2009.

Waikiki Tiki: Art, History and Photographs is out 10/01/2010.

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2010-08-15 23:15 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-15 9:33 pm   Permalink

It seems like from what I read in our local Honolulu paper, the "new" International Marketplace (if they are keeping the name) will be quite nice, still open air, with an ampitheatre for hula performances and ceremonies, ethnic eateries, and still many kiosks. I don't know about new tikis though, it is entirely possible.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Alnshely
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-16 08:09 am   Permalink

View Profile of Alnshely Send a personal message to Alnshely  Email Alnshely     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PolynesianPop
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-16 08:34 am   Permalink

What a bummer. The IMP is staple of Waikiki the way that it is. Although they say the new structure will keep the Waikiki heritage, its hard to see how they can convey the soul of the original IMP.

Now I've really got to make my way back to see it before they bulldoze it.

Poly-Pop *

Bartender, make mine a glass of WATAHHH!!!!!

View Profile of PolynesianPop Send a personal message to PolynesianPop  Email PolynesianPop Goto the website of PolynesianPop     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-16 11:15 am   Permalink

The second article doesn't sound so bad. Not having been there in years and years, it's hard to say how much the place has declined or whether or not they might be able to pull off a decent reworking of the space. I know some of the TCers that have been there recently were a little disappointed.
On the bright side, maybe Trader Vics will re-open as part of the re-development? That would be fantastic.
I have many fond memories of the original International Marketplace. My dad used to take us to the Trader Vics there for lunch. When he wasn't paying attention my friends and I would ditch school and hang out there and other spots in Waikiki. On the last day I lived on Oahu in 1975, my sisters and I rode The Bus to IMP to buy t-shirts and trinkets. It would be a real shame if it is torn down and not restored in some way to its former glory.

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-09-16 11:16 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-16 11:19 am   Permalink

Maybe we should plan the grand tiki event of all time in Waikiki the spring of 2005 before the place gets torn down? Tikifish could start saving her maple leaves now.

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
HubbaHubbaTiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-16 3:06 pm   Permalink

I will be there for the holidays so I will have to see it again before its gone. International Market Place was a fun place to hang out. I hope they make it better.

View Profile of HubbaHubbaTiki Send a personal message to HubbaHubbaTiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GECKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-16 11:15 pm   Permalink

i herd it was getting rid of all the liitle booths. the cheap made in China crap. I hope they get rid of that junk and leave all that space open to walk around and enjoy its beauty.

me and Fil will be there saving all of that stuff if they do. I know they won't get rid of all the carvings though because the peopo that take care of da grounds said carvings had been comming up missing so they are keeping a tight eye on da stuff (Bong).

so that must mean they are staying with all the old stuff and gettin rid of da B.S

sweeeeet

View Profile of GECKO Send a personal message to GECKO  Email GECKO Goto the website of GECKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation