FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 )
International Market Place Will be horribly razed
hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 5 days ago; 7:53 pm   Permalink

Kaiwaza- thanks for the video

I think every TC visitor needs to drop off a tiki in the bushes

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: Yesterday; 08:56 am   Permalink

A Google Maps review from 5 years ago states:

Has anyone been to the Aloha Stadium swap meet / marketplace? It might be another good alternative to the old / original / awesome International Marketplace of the past.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
VinylGeek
Tiki Centralite

Posted: Yesterday; 10:42 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2016-08-30 08:56, AceExplorer wrote:
Has anyone been to the Aloha Stadium swap meet / marketplace? It might be another good alternative to the old / original / awesome International Marketplace of the past.

I have been and it's okay, the majority of it is your typical tourist ware. Nothing very exciting but if you're in the market, you can get great deals because you can haggle with them. It's setup around the stadium itself, in the parking lot, so you will literally walk around the entire thing with merchants on both sides but they practically sell the same stuff every 100 feet, so you end up getting Deja vu every 20min. Once in awhile you'll come across artisan merchants which is breath of fresh air. The best is when locals show up with their stuff, basically garage sale items but my Dad found some great tiki pieces for next to nothing. Bottom line, it's hit or miss but if you have an hour or so to kill, it's worth a gander

View Profile of VinylGeek Send a personal message to VinylGeek  Email VinylGeek Goto the website of VinylGeek     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: Yesterday; 12:59 pm   Permalink

Thanks, VinylGeek, that helps a lot! Getting deja vu was also quite common at the old IMP. Lots of duplicate jewelry, t-shirts, and crap. And if you didn't like someone's prices or selection, just move down a few stalls and your chances improved.

For the Aloha Stadium, to me, the possibility of running into something cool definitely makes this worth seeing. No matter how junky or kitschy their tourist stuff is, there is always the possibility you may find THE thing you need as a souvenir, gift, or addition to your bar. This is what made the old IMP so interesting. Plus you could buy very nice and authentic made-in-Hawai`i aloha shirts for around $15.

I think it will take a few years for Waikiki and Honolulu citizens to realize what they lost despite the shortcomings of the old IMP. I'm waiting for the "IMP retro fests" to be announced in the future, that would be sadly hilarious. Or someone will build something nice like the old IMP again, but with controls in place to ensure it is quite a bit above what it was. Not everyone who visits Waikiki is a Saks millionaire shopper...

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: Today; 09:06 am   Permalink

Quote:

99% is foreign made junkola, the mom and pop's / siblings who haul their old belongings to sell are virtually nonexistent compared to 30+ years ago when the swaps were really good, you'd have a bit better luck down the road to the defunct Kam drive-in swap for chances at any cool stuff. I stopped going in the 90s.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (5 years)  

Posted: Today; 10:15 am   Permalink

Thanks msteeln! I'm sure there are others who will pull this info up ahead of their next trip to the islands. I know I will!

Frank

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2016 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation