FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 1:12 pm   Permalink

There have been several plans to tear down the place over the past few years. Hopefully, this one will BITE THE DUST as well. I know I sound like a broken record, but IMP is the LAST place in Waikiki you can go & feel like you're in a jungle..that isn't concrete. What are there plans? Oh..a seven story shopping center..full of Gucci, Prada, Louis Vitton & everything else we ALREADY have 2 or 3 of in Honolulu. ENOUGH ALREADY! It just makes me SICK, absolutely SICK.
And the clueless, idiotic local officials claim "how wonderful" it will be. They disgust me.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-23 1:44 pm   Permalink

Methinks their definition of "wonderful" is directly related to making more money... I share your disappointment and also hope something comes to rescue IMP.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 9:04 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-23 09:43, AceExplorer wrote:
It would be great to make another trip out there this year before it's gone for good.

Absolutely. Hopefully, this sad news will make some of us make the trip happen.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
robbie_silver

Posted: 2013-01-24 7:28 pm   Permalink

International Market Place was the bomb back in the day (my day being the 80's). Anybody remember Dilip - the guy who would paint designs on folks' fingernails? I remember being at the Market Place bar/restaurant for a few New Years' Eve shows featuring Fat Eddie - that guy was just classic. What an entertainer. And I remember picking up a VHS copy of Elvis' 68 Comeback Special in the Elvis shop upstairs. Even the food court in IMP was awesome. I haven't been there since 2001 and by that time Waikiki had lost its old school laid back charm, in my opinion. But I guess you see things differently as you grow older. Booze helps this (I am drinking a Jungle Bird in a vintage Do Ho glass from an IMP show currently).

View Profile of robbie_silver Send a personal message to robbie_silver      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-25 07:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-01-23 13:44, AceExplorer wrote:
Methinks their definition of "wonderful" is directly related to making more money... I share your disappointment and also hope something comes to rescue IMP.

I've been thinking about this quite a bit, I have many fond memories of the IMP, Waikiki, etc. I'm adding to what I wrote yesterday... The IMP revitalization plan is the developer's and city's effort to rescue the IMP. I can't blame 'em, the place is not currently a hot spot. Things (and times) have changed. Back in 1991, when I made my first visit to the Islands, I remember that the IMP was still very high on the list of "must see" places. This is not so today, and there are many things competing for tourist dollars in Honolulu. Still, it is hard for anyone to deny that the IMP is a very unique offering in an area which, I think, really benefits from it. The IMP balances out the overkill of high-end concrete-and-steel which surrounds it. It is a very nice patch of "jungle park" and I always enjoy cruising through there and relaxing a bit, especially on a hot day. And if nothing else, the food court at the back is a great place to get some quick eats without killing a bunch of time (and a bunch of bucks) in a restaurant. Among many other things it really helps the budget-conscious traveler.

I know the land must be worth a lot of money, and it is probably judged to be underproducing financially for the owners. The city is also eyeing the increased tax revenue which redevelopment would bring. If it does get torn out and redeveloped, I hope they will at least preserve some of the jungle-ness and charm of the place. This is, after all, a development on a tropical island and it would be a shame to lose that perspective especially in an area which has been built up with generally the opposite sort of feel.

Thanks to the tiki gods for Tiki Central and our ability to remember and preserve what we have left of the fun things from the past.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-25 07:50 am   Permalink

The lease $$$$ supports the Queen Emma Hospital in Honolulu, possibly the largest hospital in Hawaii, and one of its larger private employers. So the cash goes to a good cause and a hospitals operating costs are very, very high, especially if Medicare patients, as that insurance pays only like 20 percent of the bill.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-25 08:23 am   Permalink

Thanks, christiki295, I didn't know that. Indeed, a good cause it is!

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-26 07:49 am   Permalink

Yes, a good cause. Nevertheless, still disappointing that the development does not show more historical preservation sensitivity to the IMP. After all, there is more than enough land.

And, I hate to think of that huge landmark Banyan tree being cut down.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-26 10:08 am   Permalink

I don't care if it's for starving children in Africa. The LAST thing Waikiki needs is MORE high-end
"Rodeo drive-looking"retail ..and that's EXACTLY what they are planning for the space. And our local officials are quite backward-thinking in terms of preservation: historical & otherwise.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-26 11:52 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2009-11-27 13:32, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:

The same facade could be maintained, with the hotel and mall on either side.

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-27 12:57 am   Permalink

At least the plan saves the banyan tree, according to section 2.1.
At least that much will be preserved.

hang10tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-11 5:53 pm   Permalink

Found these 5 postcards today.

View Profile of hang10tiki Send a personal message to hang10tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 08:49 am   Permalink

from the proposal document :

The International Market Place Revitalization Project (Project) includes the demolition of all
buildings and structures on the project site (about 499,000 square feet of commercial space)
and construction of a new retail, dining and entertainment center (about 390,000 square feet of
commercial space). The 5.982-acre project site fronts Kalakaua and Kuhio Avenues and is
mid-block between Kaiulani and Seaside Avenues in Waikiki. It contains the International
Market Place (IMP), Waikiki Town Center and the Miramar at Waikiki hotel (Miramar).

The redeveloped commercial center will be generally three levels in height, however, the portion
fronting Kuhio Avenue will have a seven-story structure consisting of two levels of retail on the
Ewa side and three levels of retail on the Diamond Head side with five levels of parking above
(the existing parking structures serving the IMP, Waikiki Town Center and Miramar are located
on this portion of the site).

The Project is not anticipated to have a significant direct, indirect, secondary or cumulative
impact on the surrounding area in terms of public services and the environment primarily
because of the proposed net reduction in the total floor area for the combined properties. "

What a bummer.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 09:34 am   Permalink

Such a great site for fun urban archeology - completely razed

Quote:

"The Project is not anticipated to have a significant direct, indirect, secondary or cumulative
impact on the surrounding area in terms of public services and the environment primarily
because of the proposed net reduction in the total floor area for the combined properties. "

Yeah, right!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-03-12 11:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-12 08:49, tikiyaki wrote:
from the proposal document :

The International Market Place Revitalization Project (Project) includes the demolition of all
buildings and structures on the project site (about 499,000 square feet of commercial space)
and construction of a new retail, dining and entertainment center (about 390,000 square feet of
commercial space). The 5.982-acre project site fronts Kalakaua and Kuhio Avenues and is
mid-block between Kaiulani and Seaside Avenues in Waikiki. It contains the International
Market Place (IMP), Waikiki Town Center and the Miramar at Waikiki hotel (Miramar).

The redeveloped commercial center will be generally three levels in height, however, the portion
fronting Kuhio Avenue will have a seven-story structure consisting of two levels of retail on the
Ewa side and three levels of retail on the Diamond Head side with five levels of parking above
(the existing parking structures serving the IMP, Waikiki Town Center and Miramar are located
on this portion of the site).

The Project is not anticipated to have a significant direct, indirect, secondary or cumulative

What a bummer.

Above ground parking garages these days are always sooooo pretty!

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation