FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
International Market Place Will be horribly razed
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-29 10:40 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-07-29 12:18, Pittsburgh pauly wrote:
I wonder if this will have any effect:
Hudson’s Bay to Buy Luxury Retailer Saks for $2.4 Billion
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-07-29/hudson-s-bay-to-acquire-saks-for-2-9-billion-including-debt.html
Here's hoping the new owners pull out and the deal unravels.

Unfortunately, I think Hudson Bay's purchase of Saks and desire to place the upscale retailer in a redeveloped IMP increases, not decreases, the probability of the development because Saks can be an anchor tenant, with a lot of square footage and a long-term lease, which will draw other retailers as the only Saks in Hawaii.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/blog/morning_call/2013/06/owner-of-lord-taylor-interested-in.html

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-01 9:59 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-03-27 10:12, Hale Tiki wrote:
Quote:

On 2013-03-27 09:06, Luckydesigns wrote:
Is that the developing company who is withdrawing their permit request?? So the project is off?

No. Queen Emma Land Co is the company that wants to redevelop the area. Outrigger and Beachcomber are the ones that asked for the permit to be withdrawn.

Ancient bones also have been found where the Target was to have built.
No ruling on the Outrigger's appeal yet.

http://www.bizjournals.com/pacific/print-edition/2013/06/28/who-says-you-cant-stop-progress.html

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-10 12:23 am   Permalink

More slanted coverage.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-10 12:27 am   Permalink

more

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (2 years)  

Posted: 2013-08-10 4:20 pm   Permalink

So very sad... They claim 2500 new jobs will be created by the "revitalization" and I can't see how that will be true. Also, I think that at least several hundred who are currently employed at the IMP will lose their jobs. Many of these are local moms & dads and their family members who are very unlikely to be hired by the new high-end tenants.

Yes, the IMP has dead and declining areas and something needs to be done. It's just so sad that the solution more high-end stuff which Waikiki already has plenty of. Too much of.

I'm trying to find information on when the IMP will be closed so that I can make one last trip out to see it before it is gone forever. Sounds like a good reason to make me head out and spend a week on Oahu.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-10 10:49 pm   Permalink

The conceptual rendering of the facade eliminates the inviting open air feel.
Instead, it looks like another shiny new mall, with Saks prominently featured in front.

At least the Royal Hawaiian did not sell its soul and preserved open space.
That space will now become my favorite Waikiki destination:

Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-08-11 12:00 am   Permalink

Keep seeing this on the news and can't help but say EVERY TIME, IT'S ANOTHER DAMN STRIP MALL!!! I really can't believe there going to build this mall... Sure they may leave the banyan tree but the characteristics of the old marketplace are gone.. Why couldn't they just rebuild it more in a way that would also let you remember the marketplace the way it was, instead of this concrete mall like you see basically in every city.

So Sad... RIP IMP!!

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 10:42 am   Permalink

Agreed, and Honolulu has more than most for its small size: Ala Moana, DFS Galleria (2 of them), Royal Hawaiian Center, etc.

However, at least the Queen Emma Land Company is a philanthropic organization.

At least Kauai remains unspoiled by such out-of-control development.

msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-11 3:26 pm   Permalink

In a rare ramble thru Waikiki recently (to promote a friend's great band) I noticed how it indeed has become completely Rodeo Dr. with no thot to anything but $$$$$$$$$$$$$ and the remaing 20% who have it. Somebody must be doing OK, yet there seems to be no money to pay local musicians a fair deal.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-12 01:55 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Last tour is set for August 16. It is a Friday. We think 3P is good at the entrance of King's Village on Kaiulani. Pittsburgh Pauley and Lori loves tiki are in. If any locals like come, email me. There may be a TV crew.

Phillip

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-03 03:44 am   Permalink

It is a shame I can't sign it twice.

Kilaueakyd

Posted: 2013-09-08 9:13 pm   Permalink

Mr. Roberts I just found your thread on tiki in waikiki and will be there Sept 10th. I know I missed the tour (bummerz) but where can I get your book when i get there. I will try the self guided approach though I would much rather have the pro do the TC version.

View Profile of Kilaueakyd Send a personal message to Kilaueakyd  Email Kilaueakyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-09 3:39 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Let's try a FaceTime / phone tour... Maybe I can walk you through some stuff at the Market place... You have my number!

Kilaueakyd

Posted: 2013-09-28 01:22 am   Permalink

Just got home from 2 weeks on O'ahu and found Waikiki Tiki right away. What a great book full of some great history. Everyone that loves
This poly pop craze has to get this book. And anyone who thinks there is little tikiness in Hawai'i...should just never go. Wow. Some half decent Mai tais if you look hard enough and several tiki bars. Hula lamps, tiki mugs and carvings everywhere. To bad you have to put it all in a suitcase. The IMP really is hurting but it would be nice if they could put a Donn's at the front and keep the banyan tree and some of the cool shaped structures. Fact is primo square footage could do so much better than 50 similar shops full of Hong Kong trinkets.

View Profile of Kilaueakyd Send a personal message to Kilaueakyd  Email Kilaueakyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-28 12:23 pm   Permalink

So sad. Several shops now have "closing-everything must go" and "clearance sale" signs up. A few have already shut their doors. Makes me tear up....but, time stands still for no man.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation