FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
International Market Place Will be horribly razed
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-28 4:16 pm   Permalink

It's happening. End of an era. Sadness and despair.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-28 7:14 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2013-09-28 01:22, Kilaueakyd wrote:
Just got home from 2 weeks on O'ahu and found Waikiki Tiki right away. What a great book full of some great history. Everyone that loves
This poly pop craze has to get this book.

Thanks! I'm glad you like the book and (I hoped most people would have it by now, but realize many don't. Bess Press has plenty at the best price and I have a few left, btw) had a good vacation. Did you get the 1st or 2nd printing? The second has this shot...

and a few others of the International Market Place (including a Brownlee original hiding in plain sight) toward the rear of the book. (I had to replace a photograph or two for reasons I won't go into in detail here.) I'm actually glad those got in because I'd missed them before. (The story is in the official thread...)

I tried to save the Market as best I could. Not enough people cared to sign the petition and kick up a fuss I guess. At least I got to take the pictures and save the memories for the future. I'll do a last walk-through to see what's left December 7th before my wedding the next day.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bamalamalu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-30 7:26 pm   Permalink

Really crummy news. Thanks for all your efforts, Phillip, and for documenting for the future.
We signed way back when you first posted it. Wish it could've made a difference.

View Profile of bamalamalu Send a personal message to bamalamalu  Email bamalamalu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-09-30 9:37 pm   Permalink

From Honolulu Advertiser on August 10th:
International Market Place landowner signs lease deal

Queen Emma Land Co. has finalized a deal to lease its International Market Place property in Waikiki to previously tentative development partner Taubman Centers Inc.

The lease signing, announced Friday by Queen Emma Land, allows the roughly $350 million redevelopment of the 56-year-old retail bazaar to commence as expected around year's end and finish in spring 2016.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-06 2:25 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

I'm hearing that all vendors have been told to be gone by December 31, 2013. ;(

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-06 3:00 pm   Permalink

I will be in Oahu in mid November, so hopefully I will get to see it before it is gone.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kilaueakyd
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2013-10-07 9:29 pm   Permalink

The vendors have lots of going out of business signs and some deals can be had. A guy from tiki town ( a temporary tiki bar there) said they will have an auction after it shuts down. I found a coffee shop/juice bar upstairs that had a few mugs but they would not sell them. I also saw aome other carvings that seemed from a lost era. Any ideas Phillip?

View Profile of Kilaueakyd Send a personal message to Kilaueakyd  Email Kilaueakyd     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-07 10:06 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Yes, The slit drum from Papua New Guinea is cool. It's at the Waikiki Town Center (also slated for demolition with the Market and the Miramar Hotel,) and in the book about 174 pages in. (It's where the Bird Guy Bruce sets up shop on the Kuhio side. I hope he doesn't grab it.) I have a better shot of the dual head, but can't seem to find it now... But, Here's a bit of one of the rough layouts that I did for that page...

(I really do need to go through those one of these days and see what else the got left out of Waikiki Tiki...Obviously the head didn't make it in so this is really an outtake...)

The Queen Emma Foundation owns that property as well. I hope he doesn't grab it. The bench is also original to the International Market Place...

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-10-07 22:37 ]

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-10-08 06:02 am   Permalink

I'm still shaking my head about this upcoming loss. I remember seeing the International Marketplace in "Blue Hawaii" a couple months ago. I am seriously looking at squeezing in a trip soon - it would be great to spend some time on the island before the horrible demolition.

I find it strange knowing that, on future trips, there will likely be *very little new* to draw me into the development. The only exception would be plain curiosity to see what may be left behind, like the magnificent tree.

If nothing else, then there should be some sort of commemorative plaque placed on the property to commemorate the memories of the old place and the many appearances it made in films, photos, etc.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-10-08 09:58 am   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2013-10-08 06:02, AceExplorer wrote:
If nothing else, then there should be some sort of commemorative plaque placed on the property to commemorate the memories of the old place and the many appearances it made in films, photos, etc.

Funny, I just had a conversation with a journalist a day or so ago where I suggested a statue of Don the Beachcomber and a small museum with the remaining relics be placed near the front...

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-10-08 09:58 ]

Pitcairn

Posted: 2013-10-09 7:43 pm   Permalink

I like the Donn Beach statue idea! I have that lousy feeling in my stomach when you know it really is going to happen, same feeling I had when Waikikian and Tahitian lanai went down. I just watched the incredible Pan Am Worldport saucer at JFK go down. Delta airlines and Taubman could care less about this stuff. But the Tonga Room was saved, so we must always fight, sometimes with a little luck you can defeat the corporate titans.

View Profile of Pitcairn Send a personal message to Pitcairn      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 01:56 am   Permalink

My wife and I stayed at the. princess Kailulani next door to the marketplace last weekend. A friend who works at the Princess told me that the hotel will be closed for three years due to major renovations. The 27 story tower directly adjacent to the marketplace is the only building that will not be razed. My friend did not know the name of the corp. doing the work or who was funding the project. She too is hopeful that the Banyan tree is not removed and that the site will be beautiful when the project is complete although rumors abound about Nieman- Marcus and other high end stores coming in. Construction is to begin early next year on the Princess, same as the marketplace.
Hope this is not old news.
Btw,a good number of the tikis at tiki town are foam- that's not to say there are not of lot of items worth saving at this historic site. Tugs at my heart strings, I was first there in 1966. So sad.

[ This Message was edited by: nui 'umi 'umi 2013-11-06 02:06 ]

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 08:09 am   Permalink

Aloha,

Quote:

On 2013-11-06 01:56, nui 'umi 'umi wrote:
A friend who works at the Princess told me that the hotel will be closed for three years due to major renovations. The 27 story tower directly adjacent to the marketplace is the only building that will not be razed. My friend did not know the name of the corp. doing the work or who was funding the project. She too is hopeful that the Banyan tree is not removed and that the site will be beautiful when the project is complete although rumors abound about Nieman- Marcus and other high end stores coming in. Construction is to begin early next year on the Princess, same as the marketplace.
Hope this is not old news.

Yes, the Princess Kaiulani is slated for construction 8/2014 according to my informants.

Yes, all vendors at the International Market Place have been told to be gone by 12/31

I'll be leading two last Waikiki Tiki walking tours... 12/7 and 12/13 (Friday). PM me for details if you'll be in town and want to come along. (Will also do some filming for the Waikiki Tiki e-book)

Quote:
Btw,a good number of the tikis at tiki town are foam- that's not to say there are not of lot of items worth saving at this historic site. Tugs at my heart strings, I was first there in 1966. So sad.

Yeah, Rick does them... He's a partner at Tiki Town. Foam pour or not, at least they are Tiki... Here's his website

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2013-11-06 08:09 ]

nui 'umi 'umi
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-06 11:01 am   Permalink

Phillip,I am glad you are there and able to sort this all out.
Interesting-the foam tikis are "poured". I thought they were blocks of foam glued and carved.
Mahalo

View Profile of nui 'umi 'umi Send a personal message to nui 'umi 'umi  Email nui 'umi 'umi     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-07 9:11 pm   Permalink

Is it known whehter the vendors going to relocate anywhere?

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation