FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Kill Devil
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-04 08:51 am   Permalink

Thanks for the article. Until I read it, I hadn't realized just how often I went there on my trips. This blows.

View Profile of Kill Devil Send a personal message to Kill Devil      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-04 1:58 pm   Permalink

Quote:
And the Hawaiiana

Check. I keep thinking it's already gone, I always liked that spot.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-27 11:09 pm   Permalink

http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/24317259/international-market-place-tenants-selling-off-wares-as-customers-remember-old-days?utm_content=bufferfa4d7&utm_source=buffer&utm_medium=facebook&utm_campaign=Buffer
IMP enters it's final week.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2013-12-28 09:15 am   Permalink

So sad.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-28 09:59 am   Permalink

Kaiwaza - great article and video, thanks for sharing.

So I'm mulling over the claims that redevelopment will "create 1000 construction jobs and 2500 permanent jobs." Hmmmm... In my opinion, few construction jobs will be created -- they will just draw from an already-existing pool of construction talent from both on and off the islands. And, really, 2500 permanent jobs, where and how? It all sounds great, they have their big numbers in our faces and in the media, and Queen Emma Land and others can say that they're doing something good. Generally, they truly are doing something good by replacing the IMP which was allowed to decay. But I can't help feeling the need to reach for a big barf bag when I think about how much more concrete they are bringing to Waikiki when many would rather see less concrete and more local culture and green space and soil. I can do high-end shopping all day long in cities on the mainland - that's not what I go to Hawai`i for. Fortunately I will always know where to go and what to do on the islands so that I'm not ignoring the culture and history and scenic beauty of the islands.

20 years from now, if I re-read my posts in this thread, I expect that I will still feel good that I didn't just watch all this happen without speaking up out of respect for the history and many good things that the International Marketplace contributed to Waikiki.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-28 10:34 am   Permalink

I am starting to feel conflicted about all of this. On the one hand, I love anything vintage....but on the other hand I don't automatically hate anything new and modern. They are keeping the banyan, so that's at least one good thing and probably the thing I liked best about IMP. As far as all the stalls filled with tourist junk...was it all really that good? I mean, you can get your oyster pearls at hilo hatties...and the food court...well, there are plenty of food courts on Oahu. I always eat at the pearl city mall. Cement? Point taken, but if you want hawaiian countryside there are still lots of places, and even other islands for the laid back country vibe...but lets face it, honolulu and waikiki are a big city! That's like asking Los Angeles to go back to being grassland and ranchos....not gonna happen. Some things are worth preserving at all costs...I am just not so sure that IMP is worth it anymore.

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-28 11:56 am   Permalink

It's not about the place as it was at the end of its life - it's about the place when it was better and about the potential that it had in the future. And it's about future postings here on TC where we will be reminded of the International Marketplace of the past. And when we see it appear in old movies. And in history books. People will remember the good history and say, "Wow, that was cool!" And, of course, there will be a few who will also remember its later years by saying, "Wow, that place was a run-down dump."

Saks Fifth Avenue will be, in a manner of speaking, like spraying graffiti on a Moai on Easter Island while pumping a fist in the air and yelling, "You bastards, WE won!"

It's not like I lived there or anything. I just visited the place over a span of 25 years and have many great memories, even of the crummy but large and diverse food court -- which kept me out of pricey Waikiki restaurants and saved me lots of hard-earned travel bucks! So I'm just sayin' it's a big shame. The food court alone was a seasoned-travelers secret place to save some serious bucks along with a couple of the lesser-known non-waterfront hotels in the area.

So don't have mixed feelings, but look instead at the whole continuum of history of the place. And then let us allow the nostalgia to begin!

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-28 9:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-28 10:34, lucas vigor wrote:
I am starting to feel conflicted about all of this. On the one hand, I love anything vintage....but on the other hand I don't automatically hate anything new and modern. They are keeping the banyan, so that's at least one good thing and probably the thing I liked best about IMP.

Hopefully, the Silver Lining will be a few of those stores left in the mall and more tropical vegetation inside of the mall, like Ala Moana:

Saving this tiny waterfall, or enlarging on it, is a litmus test:

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2013-12-28 21:38 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-29 09:58 am   Permalink

No matter if you loved or hated the International Marketplace, there was always a great selection of REAL made-in-Hawai`i shirts and clothing in their stores. The alternative was shopping at the big tourist stores and paying tourist prices and risking not having enough money to cover your bar tabs... Eeek!

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-29 11:24 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-29 09:58, AceExplorer wrote:
. . . the International Marketplace, there was always a great selection of REAL made-in-Hawai`i shirts and clothing in their stores.. . .

Hilo Hattie features made in Hawaii clothing, and always has some articles on sale.
https://www.hilohattie.com/Layouts/Webpages/NoSidebars.aspx?WebpageId=62

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-29 12:52 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

On 2013-12-28 21:34, christiki295 wrote:
Quote:

Saving this tiny waterfall, or enlarging on it, is a litmus test:

That won't be happening. it is located at the Waikiki Trade Center and that will be going along with the Mirimar and the International Market Place.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-29 2:51 pm   Permalink

On 2013-12-29 11:24, christiki295 wrote:
Hilo Hattie features made in Hawaii clothing, and always has some articles on sale.
https://www.hilohattie.com/Layouts/Webpages/NoSidebars.aspx?WebpageId=62

I love Hilo Hattie's. But I comparison-shopped there, and, except for the clearance racks which had UNBELIEVABLY GREAT markdowns, the better every-day prices were at the IMP where there was a lot more competition and also a larger selection of styles and sizes. I'm just sayin' because I've been there and seen it with my own eyes and wallet.

I think we are going to really miss the IMP when it's gone. Am I actually sitting here and having to defend it? Really? Wassup with that? Two and a half days left, folks, before another part of Waikiki tiki history disappears into the past.

msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-29 3:57 pm   Permalink

It amazes me that there's so much bemoaning the loss of places like the beat down IMP and even worse Kings Alley as being 'old Hawaii' as tho they're so great. Not so much by us here as we are TIKI, but in general. Yes, IMP was cool LONG ago but by the 70s when Kings Alley was built these two places represented nothing worth visiting unless juxtaposed against the surrounding cold concrete monoliths. I rarely bothered with the area because it was the Aloha-filled local people that made Waikiki great, and with them shoved to the side as freaks, dying, and moving away plus virtually all the vintage structures being torn down asap there was little to keep Waikiki in anybody's minds as special like it once was. And it WAS special. That they'll be saving the IMP banyan means little to me as it'll be engulfed to the point of disappearing amongst high roller shops that don't want riff raff like us around to look at it.
It's also laughable that they tout jobs being created by the new digs, they'll just be replacing some of the current jobs lost and in the meantime those workers will suffer until/if/when they do come back. Relatively few local contractors/laborers will be doing the work, so that's mute as well.
No matter what is done Waikiki is toast and has been since they tore down the old 1930's era theaters that catered to locals and retained some flavor, that was the last straw, everything/body else was pretty much long gone by then and replaced with junk. Tear it down for NikeTown! Which BTW now sits vacant.
We're left with our memories, photos, and stories at best. And what's worse is the powers that control the agenda are not going to be happy until the destruction of Waikiki has spread all along the Honolulu coastline with high end hotels bunched together past Honolulu Harbor, chasing out most regular folk and making it look terrible and just like any other raped and pillaged coast ala Miami.
There are many reasons to cry about on Oahu and the IMP is the least of them now, it should have been preserved as it was during Duke and Don Ho's prime but $$$ and political corruption usually wins and we move on, and on, and on again, like it or not.

BTW, Hilo Hattie? Those that don't realize there was a Hilo Hattie would do well to dig into her history, she was way cool, he namesake retail outlet is not.

[ This Message was edited by: msteeln 2013-12-29 15:59 ]

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-29 6:13 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-29 15:57, msteeln wrote:
It amazes me that there's so much bemoaning the loss of places like the beat down IMP and even worse Kings Alley as being 'old Hawaii' as tho they're so great. Not so much by us here as we are TIKI, but in general.
. . .
are not going to be happy until the destruction of Waikiki has spread all along the Honolulu coastline with high end hotels bunched together past Honolulu Harbor, chasing out most regular folk and making it look terrible and just like any other raped and pillaged coast ala Miami.

Nice, strong and interesting take.
Lacking your historical perspective, for me, the IMP is old Hawaii, along with the Pink Palace and the Hawaiiana (and maybe PCC). While it lacked a high-end polish, it is one of the few places where you could be reminded that you were in Hawaii, after all, as opposed to the 2 Louis Vuitton and 3 Coach stores.

The Miami Beach comparison is more nuanced, as it draws both locals and tourists alike, for alcohol infused daytime dance parties around the pool (like Vegas), as well as for vacationing. While such always seemed redundant when the amazing ocean should be the main attraction, it would be a welcome respite from the wall-to-wall retail which permeates Waikiki currently.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-30 06:00 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-29 15:57, msteeln wrote:
It amazes me that there's so much bemoaning the loss of places like the beat down IMP and even worse Kings Alley as being 'old Hawaii' as tho they're so great.
[ This Message was edited by: msteeln 2013-12-29 15:59 ]

Huh? Ok, ok, ok, I give up. I thought I was pretty clear in stating that I was *not* bemoaning the loss of the IMP in its *current* and decayed state. You may not have actually read my posts. Just sayin'...

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation