FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » General Tiki » » International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 2:30 pm   Permalink

Interestingly, not a lot of local people here in Hawaii seem to care that much about IMP being torn down although many have memories of it's glory days. However, they DO all role their eyes when they hear a Saks Fifth Avenue is replacing it. Personally, the loss of IMP will be leave a big gaping hole in my heart...but like with the loss of any loved one, you carry on & know that life is for the living.
I'm on my way down there now for one last jaunt around the place & some lunch, if anyone is still open. Sadness.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-30 5:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I was *not* bemoaning the loss of the IMP in its *current* and decayed state. You may not have actually read my posts.

I did read it and wasn't really replying to anybody's comments here but more in response to local talk, as I mentioned I'm pretty much with TC in sadness seeing the last half way decent space left in Waikiki being replaced by something worse. I had my lingering luv for the IMP even as it devolved, it had hidden charms, was tranquil, and still kinda comfortable with local music around the food court. However, replacing blase' modern era buildings, non-Hawaiian artifacts, and Kings Alley's style fakiness (all of which I've always despised) isn't that huge of a loss. I've watched so much better be ignored or destroyed for nothing around here that I reserve my tears for the truer places and people that actually mattered. I have been around here (Oahu) a while and watching junk replace junk doesn't hurt so much. If they'd torn the IMP down in the 60s THAT would have been tragic, and letting it go the way of mere rubbish filled kiosks was stupid. But the writing has been on the wall for a loooong time and we knew there was no stopping or improving it, money and influence rules and post-1970 it's made Hawaii much less than it should be. We'll see the historic Natatorium go soon and then only the old hotels and a few obscure gems will be left, not much to care about in today's Waikiki, even the famed beach sand came from somewhere else!

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-12-30 6:28 pm   Permalink

Very good points, msteeln, and I see now that we share many of the same perspectives, I did not intend to be harsh. I certainly respect and appreciate your deeper and more connected insights as a local resident. That wasn't clear to me earlier.

The beach sand is from elsewhere? Sad to hear, but that's also how it is in many of the Southern California beaches. And the local music - that's surprisingly one of the things I remember most from my last visit. Local school groups and other performers were often on the stage at the food court. And charming, and tranquil, are good words to describe some of the IMP. Some of that can still be found in other places in Waikiki, but not often outside of the context of "big business." Travelers who do a bit of research will be rewarded.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-12-31 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2013-12-30 18:28, AceExplorer wrote:I see now that we share many of the same perspectives, I did not intend to be harsh.
The beach sand is from elsewhere?

No sweat, we all dig the vintage scene that is fading faster than we'd like.
They've changed the layout of Waikiki's beaches over time and now the sand get's taken out into the bay resulting in the need to constantly replace it from wherever they can. The Natatorium is responsible for the existing Diamond Head side beach (Kaimana/San Souci) that resulted from the wall of protection when it was built, and will disappear when torn down. Nat haters will be shocked. The North Shore of Oahu is even worse, people are losing their beachfront homes to the constant erosion during the Winter surf season.

Happy New Year, to all!

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-01 09:45 am   Permalink

And, it's gone.

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-01 10:15 am   Permalink

Were any of the smaller vintage items you've detailed able to be... shall we say 'salvaged'?

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-01 2:06 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-01 10:15, msteeln wrote:
Were any of the smaller vintage items you've detailed able to be... shall we say 'salvaged'?

Or larger?

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2014-01-01 2:19 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2014-01-01 09:45, Phillip Roberts wrote:
And, it's gone.

This short statement holds so much emotion.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-01-05 10:13 am   Permalink

I came across this quote in Arnold Bitner's Scrounging the Islands with the Legendary Don the Beachcomber:

Quote:
Over the years, I have become disenchanted. It broke my heart to see what greed has done to change the face of the International Market Place. The true Polynesian atmosphere is completely destroyed. The delightful ambiance I had so successfully created has turned into conglomeration of displays of geeaws with the incessant sounds of hawkers doing little more than attempting to peddle their merchandise.

View Profile of TikiTacky Send a personal message to TikiTacky  Goto the website of TikiTacky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-05 12:34 pm   Permalink

Quote:
I came across this quote in Arnold Bitner's]

And that was in the 60's, when it was still pretty cool! Just shows the deterioration long before it really started to rot.
And yet we loved it to the end.

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-01-05 7:09 pm   Permalink

On 2014-01-05 12:34, msteeln wrote:
Quote:

And yet we loved it to the end.

How rare is it that things like this get to be saved? Sometimes when places experience a decline it's just not possible to go back to the past.

We remembered it as it was in another time in light of what it *could* have become once again. But it continued to spin out of control, never able to be rehabilitated.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-06 12:48 pm   Permalink

Quote:
How rare is it that things like this get to be saved? Sometimes when places experience a decline it's just not possible to go back to the past. We remembered it as it was in another time in light of what it *could* have become once again. But it continued to spin out of control, never able to be rehabilitated.

Like all too many historic metro's they throw away everything that made them special, and Waikiki in particular was a victim. Only the bones are left.

Last IMP day/s video;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xqGnSasmvtE

TikiTacky

Posted: 2014-01-06 1:24 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the video. It's nice to see what everyone was talking about.

I can't believe that some of those stalls were paying $8,000 a month in rent. That's just insane.

forgotten tikiman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-01-06 9:10 pm   Permalink

Very sad . Farewell IMP.

View Profile of forgotten tikiman Send a personal message to forgotten tikiman  Email forgotten tikiman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiSpeer
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2014-01-06 9:11 pm   Permalink

+1

Quote:

On 2013-12-28 11:56, AceExplorer wrote:

It's not like I lived there or anything. I just visited the place over a span of 25 years and have many great memories, even of the crummy but large and diverse food court -- which kept me out of pricey Waikiki restaurants and saved me lots of hard-earned travel bucks! So I'm just sayin' it's a big shame. The food court alone was a seasoned-travelers secret place to save some serious bucks along with a couple of the lesser-known non-waterfront hotels in the area.

View Profile of TikiSpeer Send a personal message to TikiSpeer      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation