FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
International Market Place Will be horribly razed
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-16 4:22 pm   Permalink

That mall is as generic as Anytown, U.S.A.

What does this have to do with Hawaii? Just like the new Hawaii 5-0, which for the most part could have been shot in any tropical place.

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2016-08-16 16:36 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-18 02:39 am   Permalink

I'll actually be off work & free on the 25th for the Grand Opening. Maybe I'll catch some of it, film some video or take some pics.
I'm actually very happy it's opening. I'll miss the old place for sure, but I do hate everything being "under construction" forever. WE have quite a bit of construction going on these days.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kaiwaza

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-19 2:40 pm   Permalink

Kaiwaza,

Look forward to seeing the opening, as sad as that may be. In the meantime, a look back on happier days.

Don and the International Market Place ad.

The Brownlee carvings.

Another ad showing the grounds.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-24 07:21 am   Permalink

The grand opening is tomorrow. This arrived by email this morning.

The rich "organicness" of the old IMP has been replaced by overwhelming consumerism, concrete, and steel. And this on a tropical island where "organicness" and natural beauty is typically the most celebrated and desired of the features. Hey, they say this is progress. I say definitely not.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-24 09:07 am   Permalink

Progress moving backwards. Another little reminder of the way it was with Donn's Dagger Bar, the Tiki wood carver, Hawaiian Sportswear and the Bamboo Lanai.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-25 09:12 am   Permalink

A very sad day...

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-25 09:27 am   Permalink

Yup, when "tremendous unique-ness" is replaced by "overwhelming average-ness."

Now it blends in and competes with all the other high-end strip malls in Waikiki. And they consider this "better?" Blah....

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-25 10:53 am   Permalink

See below. They say "A Waikiki icon is back..." in this email announcing that it opened today. Let's see what the future photos from our tiki agents show us, and what the food venues are like. Hopefully there are still some reasonably priced food options here, as the mom-and-pop food venues in the original IMP were always a hit with us even though they were a bit skanky at first glance. So now that this has come full-circle, I'm reminded to appreciate things while we have them. You can never tell when something cool or beloved will go away.

Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-25 6:04 pm   Permalink

So a friend & I went to the opening day of the new International Marketplace. I'll post some still pics here, but I actually did a vlog which I'm uploading as we speak, and will put it up here as soon as it's done. It was pretty much what I was expecting, a mix of upscale and mid-price range shops, no tiki anywhere, but a very tropical, modern vibe. I was a bit disappointed with the tree house, but thought then entertainment area was very well done.
More video to come.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kaiwaza

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-25 8:06 pm   Permalink

Must of just missed you John. I too was on a difficult mission to go into the belly of the beast or Hades, otherwise known as the new International Market Place to report to Tiki Central. Here international means international MONEY. I'll do my report in 2 parts: first part is the ironic tributes to Don Beach.

First they rebuilt the tree house in a cleaner modern tiki style (it gratefully does not actually touch the tree). The new tree house is actually a tiny museum to the old IMP and to Donn Beach himself. Here are some photos:

Also on temporary walls (store fronts with no stores yet) there are a few photo blow ups of the old IMP:

The Major question here is why do these new developers of IMP honor Donn Beach and his accomplishments YET destroy it at the same time.

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Beachbumz
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2016-08-25 11:34 pm   Permalink

No Tiki killed it for me..
Nice to see the tree house reborn even though it's very *different* and the beautiful old tree..

Really No Tiki??? Come on IMP if your reading this..

View Profile of Beachbumz Send a personal message to Beachbumz  Email Beachbumz Goto the website of Beachbumz     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
creativenative
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-25 11:45 pm   Permalink

Part 2 the Market place itself:

I used to be an architectural critic. The architecture itself was not a surprise for any of us - drab international style with no sense of place unlike the original IMP. I give it a 1 out of 4 stars. This is why the following earned the new IMP a one star and it was not hard for anyone to earn this: one, nice tropical plants every where or the white international high end shopping style architecture would be really bland. Part of this, of course, is preserving the Banyan tree. Two, water features, like the old IMP a steam still runs under the great tree and beyond. Also a cool contemporary style water falls towards the back and a simple water volcano in the front. Three, good Hawaiian music everywhere, of course this was for the grand opening, hopefully good Hawaiian music will be piped every where and I hope they book good live bands and hula tropes for the weekends, after all they do have a nice stage. Some modern Pacific light fixtures, tiki torches and other very small architectural features but as Kaiwaza says - NO TIKIs. All this is not original, the Ala Moana shopping center has all these features. Lastly if one did not look at these "named branded" stores filled with suits and ties (please...this is Hawaii-the tropics) and just look at the plants and water features one could survive this Hades but of course the stores wouldn't make money - international money. Hmmmm, now if it had a new Trader Vics on top , IMP might earn itself another star.

See for yourself with more picts below:

Some, but very few, tiki architecture features:

Tropical plant features:

Water features:

P.S. Those koa rocking chairs that Kaiwaza is sitting on in the previous post are about $2,000.00 each and there are around 50 of them all around, heirloom pieces just sitting in the weather??? Oh one more photo, tourist tiki shot glasses in the ABC store in the very back of the new IMP.

[ This Message was edited by: creativenative 2016-08-26 00:12 ]

View Profile of creativenative Send a personal message to creativenative  Email creativenative Goto the website of creativenative     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-26 01:05 am   Permalink

NEW International Market Place VIDEO
Grand Opening Day
August 25, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rkR9dUcOIM

BTW..as creativenative pointed out..50 koa rocking chairs sitting around. You KNOW those things are gonna eventually be secured in place somehow, or they will start disappearing.
Personally, my disapointment primarily was that I felt the treehouse was really the place where thhey could have "tikied out", yet they just put in placards describing the glories of IMP of the past.
It was pretty much what I was expecting, and, as pointed out, not much different from how Ala Moana Center has become now. It's ok, but how many Lush's, etc do we need here?

[ This Message was edited by: Kaiwaza 2016-08-26 01:13 ]

AceExplorer
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2016-08-26 06:33 am   Permalink

Thanks to all for the updates, the pics, the videos. This leaves an opening for someone else to make a mark in Waikiki. At least you can still go visit any number of botanical gardens and other natural wonders to experience the real Hawai`i.

I suggest not avoiding Waikiki just because of the IMP having been so dramatically replaced. The beach is still very worthwhile, so go for a swim and also enjoy some of the many excellent food and cocktail opportunities there. The view of Diamond Head and the beach and the water is still very worth seeing.

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2016-08-26 07:09 am   Permalink

Well, with not being privy to any plans for this Moloch, I am happily surprised that they built an A-frame as the tree house, and that they MENTION Tiki style, and that the texts about Tiki are NOT WRONG. Not very deep, but not wrong (of course, me personally, I am still disappointed that "the birth of Tiki culture" is again being attributed to the 1934 opening of Don The Beachcomber in Hollywood, while the REAL birth did not happen until the mid-50s, but I have kind of accepted this simplified version at this point).

And it's nice that they have a lava rock lined stream. But the rest: White wall blandness inside and out.

As to Tiki statuary, the lack of it just goes to show that the fear of being un-p.c. with Tikis still reigns in Waikiki, and that mid-century American Tiki art is not seen as a proud continuation of the ancient traditions, but something to keep under wraps, or in a small corner.

One last look back, as "Then & now":
My 1999 photo of my son Diego in front of the original tree house, and the same spot today:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2018 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation