FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
International Market Place Will be horribly razed
msteeln
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-24 10:47 am   Permalink

I find it equally tragic that it's been allowed to devolve into essentially a slum when it was once vital and could be revived, but won't. That the bar has been lowered to such depths and yet still evokes sentimentality by many speaks volumes of what could be.

View Profile of msteeln Send a personal message to msteeln  Email msteeln     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikiyaki
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2012-04-24 10:53 am   Permalink

As trite, and cheesy as it is now, compared to it's heyday, whenever me and the misses go to Oahu, we spend lots of time there...it's just a fun place with a nice old world charm. As far as the kiosks go, I still buy stuff from them...Got me a killer large puka shell necklace from there for about $30, which is pretty cheap for the large pukas.
The little tiki themed coffee shop upstairs is a nice place to relax, and the waterfall in front of the big banyan tree is always a great spot to take photos, and just sit and listen people watch.

Especially now , with all the gucci and prada, high end shopping surrounding the IMP, it's a nice little escape from all that....like a little time capsule refuge in the middle of all that crass Beverly Hills BS that's on Kalakaua.

Bottom line is, it just feels nice to be in there.

View Profile of tikiyaki Send a personal message to tikiyaki  Email tikiyaki Goto the website of tikiyaki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 8:27 pm   Permalink

I have a few old tourist photos of the poles in front of the International Market Place.

Hope to see it some day before it goes away entirely.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 9:42 pm   Permalink

Aloha,

Oh my! Those are GREAT, DC. Wish I'd had those for Waikiki Tiki. Great Edward M. Brownlee carvings! Those are soooo hard to find GOOD pictures of... And bottom pic of the Brownlee GABLE carving (long Missing from the EWA end of the Kalakaua Entrance) at the Don The Beachcombers!

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-25 10:07 pm   Permalink

Great pix, pal!

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-04-27 3:38 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-04-24 10:47, msteeln wrote:
I find it equally tragic that it's been allowed to devolve into essentially a slum when it was once vital and could be revived, but won't. That the bar has been lowered to such depths and yet still evokes sentimentality by many speaks volumes of what could be.

Yes, it could use investment, but turning it into yet another high-end shopping mall seems to be selling its soul.
One would think that the Queen Emma Foundation would have a historical preservation sensibility.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-27 2:45 pm   Permalink

Found this old photo of a Tiki pole with location signs (like the Kau Kau Korner) that was from the International Market Place.

DC

View Profile of Dustycajun Send a personal message to Dustycajun      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-27 8:18 pm   Permalink

Aloha DC,
Quote:

On 2012-10-27 14:45, Dustycajun wrote:
Found this old photo of a Tiki pole with location signs (like the Kau Kau Korner) that was from the International Market Place.

Actually that one was at the Polynesian Cultural Center!

[ This Message was edited by: Phillip Roberts 2012-10-27 20:19 ]

View Profile of Phillip Roberts Send a personal message to Phillip Roberts  Email Phillip Roberts     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-28 12:36 am   Permalink

Indeed...but they SHOULD have had one of those at the International Marketplace!

The whole ideal of a happily co-existing, Pan-Polynesian "Family of Man" greatly inspired Polynesian pop (overlooking the existence of inner-tribal competition and dislikes).

The two factors that were instrumental in Polynesian pop were the example of Hawaii as "Crossroads of the Pacific", as a cultural melting pot (just like America) where world brotherhood worked...

...and the whole "Exotic ports of call" flair of jet travel:

(for more on that concept, also see DC's post here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=29444&forum=2&3)

These sign posts were used in many Tiki Temples, which, as we all know, had their dining rooms named after different Polynesian islands. Here is a different version that pays homage to the Palm Springs/Hawaii generation at Horrace Heidt's Estates:

[ This Message was edited by: bigbrotiki 2012-10-28 00:55 ]

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dustycajun
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-20 6:19 pm   Permalink

I should have known better, I even have that postcard showing the road sign at the Polynesian Cultural Center!

Now this is from the International Market Place, and old photo I saw on ebay a while back.

What's interesting are the two Tikis. The one on the right looks like Don the Beachcombers Marq, but the big Moai on the left sure looks like a Barney West!

DC

Phillip Roberts
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-12-20 7:20 pm   Permalink

Aloha,
Quote:

On 2012-12-20 18:19, Dustycajun wrote:
What's interesting are the two Tikis. The one on the right looks like Don the Beachcombers Marq, but the big Moai on the left sure looks like a Barney West!

There are two Moai in the pic... look to the far right of the blowup...just to the right of the Marquesan... You can see them in color in a certain book I know...

christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 07:42 am   Permalink

2013 may be the last year for this glorious historical treasure.
http://www.khon2.com/news/local/story/Waikikis-International-Marketplace-may-undergo/UaOp1O0OUkafsz3m22rzCA.cspx

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 07:50 am   Permalink

The development plan:
http://oeqc.doh.hawaii.gov/Shared%20Documents/EA_and_EIS_Online_Library/Oahu/2010s/2012-04-08-DEIS-International-Market-Place-Revitalization.pdf

AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2013-01-23 09:43 am   Permalink

Grrrr, more "new" shopping and dining, as if there isn't enough of that around there already. If it is razed, the IMP will be sorely missed by those of us who enjoy a more relaxed and unpretentious respite from all the other high-end shopping and dining in that area. The cut-throat but reasonably-priced vendors will hopefully be preserved. I always spend quite a bit of time there looking around, usually making several visits while in Honolulu, buying inexpensive and really cool stuff. It would be great to make another trip out there this year before it's gone for good.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hale Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-01-23 12:31 pm   Permalink

Well Frak. Guess I'll never get to see it. Read through the plan, more bland building/parking.

View Profile of Hale Tiki Send a personal message to Hale Tiki  Email Hale Tiki Goto the website of Hale Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation