FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums General Tiki International Market Place Will be horribly razed
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )
International Market Place Will be horribly razed
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-20 1:59 pm   Permalink

Philip, that's a great explanation on why no page numbers or index. I get the concept, thanks for sharing that. (Serious tiki folks still look for and appreciate an index, though, heh.)

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-22 11:31 am   Permalink

Renderings and video on the new IMP are on the developer's site:

http://shopinternationalmarketplace.com/gallery/#prettyPhoto/3/

The renderings of the new IMP resemble the imposing glass and steel Waikiki Shopping Center, without a green setback, and looks like a mall in any metropolitan area.

Noticeably absent in the new IMP's renderings are setbacks from the sidewalk or exterior tropical green belts acknowledging that the new IMP is located in a tropical paradise. The Royal Hawaiian mall attempts to satisfy these elements, even though it is a space undeniably dedicated to retail and commerce.

Also absent is the greenbelt found inside of the Royal Hawaiian Center.

The interior of the new IMP is better than its interior, as the magnificent Banyan tree is preserved, but it's tropical plantings in an otherwise regular shopping mall, look just like the Ala Moana, and do not incorporate any of the open air charm of its predecessor.

[ This Message was edited by: christiki295 2014-06-22 11:42 ]

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kaiwaza
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2014-06-22 9:38 pm   Permalink

Well, it could be a lot worse. After watching the video, there is still quite a bit of open space there..the banyan, a waterfall, and a hula stage. There seemed to be all restaurants on the 3rd floor although nothing looked like a food court. I'm rather a fan of food courts in Waikiki for cheaper eats. I guess they are still going to call it the International Market Place. It looks fine, but, yes...it doesn't seem to offer anything different than what we don't already have plenty of in Waikiki.

View Profile of Kaiwaza Send a personal message to Kaiwaza  Email Kaiwaza     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-23 05:42 am   Permalink

I, also, am a fan of cheaper eats and the former food court at the IMP. There are few things worse than being in Waikiki (where there are a lot of things to see) and being forced to spend lots of time and money eating three times a day.

I'll tell you that on my last visit I was able to spend more time and money exploring the beautiful waterfront hotels and bars simply because we ate a few pretty good quick meals (and Dole Whips) at the IMP food court. And as cheesy as it was, it actually added positively to the ambiance of the trip because it was low-stress and low-worries as opposed to more formal dining. Oh yes, we made a trip to the original Roy's for one of our fine dining meals, but that was all we felt we needed.

"Progress" isn't always what we want. We lost a lot of the wonderful mid-century Polynesian pop which we can now again enjoy because we banded together to help preserve what's left and to bring some of it back. I hope that someday the same type of comeback will happen for us somewhere in downtown Waikiki when others, also, come to recognize the loss of green spaces and natural beauty of Hawai`i.

View Profile of AceExplorer Send a personal message to AceExplorer  Email AceExplorer     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
AceExplorer
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2014-06-23 05:50 am   Permalink

Has anyone ever seen the "robotic" car parking directly behind/to the left of the old IMP hula stage? I've never seen anything like it, and from the video, it appears that it's gone. I parked my car in it several times, and I'm kinda surprised I don't recall seeing it mentioned somewhere here.

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation