FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki Trader Vic's, Munich, Germany (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Trader Vic's, Munich, Germany (restaurant)
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-19 08:32 am   Permalink

A repeated hommage for this singular location, which in my opinion is the most original, old, authentic Trader Vic's in the world, after the Chicago and Beverly Hills are gone now. Atlanta is close, yes, and London, too, but the cavernous labyrinth of this place gives it that hideaway feel that a good Tiki bar should have. There are some pretty bad photos of it in this thread so far, and I am hoping these, albeit a bit grainy, will do it some better justice:

I met with my old friends Jo, Olaf and Kai here a couple of nights ago. There were also Gustav, who I met at Hukilau, and Gert, my friend and A.D. on all my shoots. I had the trademark Munich Sour, Navy Grog, and a Fog Cutter:

This place is a real time warp, densely textured from every angle:

From this p.o.v. the place might have looked empty....

...but actually, once you made your way down the tunnels...

...one found several fully seated dining rooms.

Since this Trader Vic's is in one of THE most expensive hotels in Munich,
it has traditionally been a rendezvous for the well-heeled locals, too...

...where on weekends, reservations are needed. So why change anything!

Jo talked us to visit another swell watering hole...

The "Golden Bar", in an old Nazi-architecture building that recently had its original golden wall maps uncovered...

...and is now a busy craft cocktail hang out. Kai was happy to get the "Van Hagen", a cocktail created by Jo...

...served in a mug that he had designed, made by Chiki Tiki:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-24 5:13 pm   Permalink

Hey now, don't everybody get all emotional all at once here!!!

Despite the un-emotive response to my images, I will merrily continue to post impressions from my visits to this stellar example of Tikidom. From tonight:

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigtikidude
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-05-24 6:13 pm   Permalink

Sven,

awesome shots,
thanks so much for posting here, and not on facebook.
Jonpaul was just saying the other night how awesome that Trader Vics was.

I hope to make it there someday.
but until then, thanks again.

Jeff(btd)

View Profile of bigtikidude Send a personal message to bigtikidude  Email bigtikidude     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Wachee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-05-30 10:24 pm   Permalink

Hi Sven:

Thanks for sharing your photos! I visited London TV in February and will be in the Munich TV in July. This gives me something to look forward to, as I really loved the London location (decor, drinks, music). I'm glad to see that Munich holds to the same high standard. Mahalo!

View Profile of Tiki Wachee Send a personal message to Tiki Wachee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-02 04:50 am   Permalink

Among last night's serving:

Tiki Puka Puka

Dr. Funk's Son

Trad'r Bill
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-02 08:08 am   Permalink

Excellent photos as usual Sven! I think Munich is the #1 Trader Vic's location that I'd like to visit... looks to be a real time capsule.

View Profile of Trad'r Bill Send a personal message to Trad'r Bill  Email Trad'r Bill     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
WestADad
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2012-06-02 2:47 pm   Permalink

Thank you for the pictures Sven. I will never get there in person, but in my mind I can always visit.

Now, it's off to the kitchen for a Missionary's Downfall.

View Profile of WestADad Send a personal message to WestADad  Email WestADad     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-02 3:46 pm   Permalink

Thanks for the photos! I've got to go someday. I've never seen such a red Tiki Puka Puka. It's one of my favorite Trader Vic's drinks and I've had many of them. It has the best looking garnish I've ever seen though.

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-09 11:07 am   Permalink

The view at Trader Vic's last night:

An excellent Dr. Funk

An exotic attendant

delectable comestibles

Tiki Wachee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-13 09:03 am   Permalink

Sven:

Looks like you're having an amazing time in Munich! I don't want to take this thread too far off-topic, but since I'll be in Munich for a few days next month, I was wondering if you had any recommendations of must-see tiki sites on or off the beaten path while I'm in that area (besides TV, of course)? If you're still there when I arrive, I'll buy you a round of drinks. Cheers and mahalo!

View Profile of Tiki Wachee Send a personal message to Tiki Wachee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-13 2:12 pm   Permalink

The splendor of the Munich Trader Vic's may make it appear as if there are other Tiki havens around in Germany, but there really aren't. 98.9 % of the people here don't know what Tiki means, there is no history of it in Europe (except in Spain). There are some individuals here who carry the torch of the Tiki revival, but they are far and few between.

I will be going to Tirol the end of the month, and on my way back home I'll be in Munich on the 5th, 6th and 7th of July. I am always up for one more Vic visit, of course.

Tiki Wachee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-06-15 06:16 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2012-06-13 14:12, bigbrotiki wrote:
I will be going to Tirol the end of the month, and on my way back home I'll be in Munich on the 5th, 6th and 7th of July. I am always up for one more Vic visit, of course.

Ah, dread! I will be arriving on the 13th & staying through the 18th. Not sure if the people I'm meeting up with will have any interest in going, but I'm definitely going. With a place that authentic and storied, it would be difficult to justify going anywhere else, anyway, especially when time is short. Thanks for the advice.

fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-20 7:02 pm   Permalink

Nice pics Sven. Thanks for sharing.

Decor-wise Munich is one of my favorite locations as well, right up there with London and Tokyo.

BTW, that camera lens of yours seems really prone to lens flares. Forget the A.D. you should bring along a 1st A.C. to drink with you so he can spot them.

- fm

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-21 8:56 pm   Permalink

Sven, you've inspired me to overcome my inertia and add some photos to complement yours.
(These were taken during a major soccer match involving Germany which is likely why the place was mostly empty.)

- fm

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-24 3:29 pm   Permalink

Nice shots, fez monk, I can see you had fun.

Yesterday, I took Kai Sarnes' bike to what might be my last visit to this hideaway this summer...

After a stressful work week, a Siboney cocktail was just the thing to take the edge off:

All that was missing was the classic Ernesto Lecuona tune as background music

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sQP7QQCi-KY&feature=related

But the many-layered environs were equally soothing...

..and so I took what looks like a vintage postcard shot:

one more thing:
Quote:

On 2012-06-13 09:03, Tiki Wachee wrote:
....since I'll be in Munich for a few days next month, I was wondering if you had any recommendations of must-see tiki sites on or off the beaten path while I'm in that area...

Just in case you missed the post, I shall not fail to mention this place:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=43223&forum=10&5

Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation