FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums » » Locating Tiki » » Trader Vic's, Munich, Germany (restaurant)
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
Trader Vic's, Munich, Germany (restaurant)
fez monkey
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-24 4:07 pm   Permalink

Tiki Wachee, you should also check out this place which as far as I know is still open.
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=17467&forum=2

It's not anywhere as grand as Trader Vic's but if the bartender (former Trader Vic's bartender) finds you have an interest, they're liable to switch on the Hawaiian music for you. They don't get many tikiphiles in there so he's pretty jazzed when people like us show up. Plan to eat dinner as drinks are more of a sideline here.

There's also Pusser's New York Bar which is nautical rather than tiki. They do serve Painkillers and Grog though.
http://www.pussersbar.de/

- fm

View Profile of fez monkey Send a personal message to fez monkey  Email fez monkey     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-06-25 12:05 am   Permalink

Alas, the Waikiki is no more. I don't know when it closed, and what happened to the decor. It was a nice cross-cultural Thai/Tiki place, wish I would have taken photos of the mural.

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-07-07 02:30 am   Permalink

Couldn't leave town without paying a visit to my favorite underground bar As the evening progressed, I got a little creative with my photo concepts:

Happy drinking companions Jo and Gert

Barney West Tiki

Textures and Tiki I

Textures and Tiki II

Gert titled this: "About to jump in"

Within reach!

All smiles

View Profile of bigbrotiki Send a personal message to bigbrotiki  Goto the website of bigbrotiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Wachee
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2012-07-07 11:45 am   Permalink

Sven and Fez:

Thanks for the additional tips and pics. I love it when a classic mug frames a shot! Also loving the "texture" shots both of you posted, showing some of the rich detail of the place. The texture and lighting are what breathe life into these spaces.

Too bad about the Waikiki. Critiki has one photo of at least part of their mural:
http://tinyurl.com/7x7atx9

Guess that just means more drinks to be had at Trader Vic's, which I'll be within stumbling distance of. I'll be sure to check out Goldene Bar & Pusser's, too. At this rate, there may not be any time left for any biergartens.

View Profile of Tiki Wachee Send a personal message to Tiki Wachee      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Dagg
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-19 3:37 pm   Permalink

My wife and I just got back from 3 weeks in Europe, stopped by TV Munich for some drinks and a late dinner.
Here's some pics

View Profile of Dagg Send a personal message to Dagg      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-09-22 3:52 pm   Permalink

Despite one of its entrance Tikis being being emasculated...

...the Munich Trader Vic's is a s busy as ever...

...and I was thrilled to meet up with Jamie Wilson during his stop-over in town a couple of nights ago:

Jamie's outfit Cheeky Tiki is singlehandedly responsible for creating a unique British Tiki bar revival in the last 7 years. After the success of the London Mahiki, their business took off and they have built 20 Tiki bars in the last 4 years alone - and we are not talking "Tiki Lite"

Jochen also dropped by, and the T.V. manager inquired if Jamie could help him with keeping the place authentic. I also was thrilled to hear that talented Tiki mug maker BAI from Paris now works for Cheeky Tiki and has already designed several cocktail vessels for them. A Tiki-match made in heaven!

Check out the fine interiors they designed and outfitted completely, from the materials to carving the Tikis to making the mugs:

http://www.cheekytiki.com/Interior.htm

bigbrotiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2012-10-28 2:46 pm   Permalink

On snowy night in October (!?) I went on a mission to meet a man with a mission.
On my way, I passed reminders of other heroic deeds...

Michael Jackson fan shrine in front of Hotel Bayrischer Hof:

I love the sound of a lone accordion echoing in empty night streets

I had arrived...

...to hook up with Rugbymatt, who I had sent on a remote photo safari in foreign lands.
He did beautifully, and I am looking forward to his posts about it.

kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-25 3:37 pm   Permalink

I went to Munich for the first time a few weeks ago and, of course, I had to visit the Trader Vic’s. The place is amazing!! The restaurant is in the basement of the Hotel Bayerischer Hof so it has no windows at all. What there is instead is a dark exotic environment of warm woods and wonderful lighting.

The place is huge -- but not as in one giant open space. Instead, there are many separate lounges and dining rooms of varying size. The rooms are not closed off with doors, but rather open up onto each other, or onto passageways that connect everything together. It is impossible to take-in even half the restaurant at once. Seeing everything requires wandering around -- and just when you think you’ve walked through it all, you’ll stumble upon yet another dining room which you could swear you haven’t seen before.

The interior has all the elements of tiki décor we love so much and it has them in spades. Warm woods, matting, bamboo, tapa cloth, room dividers with Chinese “jade” tiles, puffer fish lamps, float lamps, cage lamps, so many lamps of all types and colors!, outrigger boats hanging from the ceiling, nautical and tropical flotsam and jetsam, and of course lots and lots of tikis.

The service was outstanding. The food was excellent. I’m unqualified to judge cocktails but, for what it’s worth, the ones we tried all tasted sehr gut to me.

If you are ever in or anywhere near Munich, the Trader Vic’s is a tiki must-see. I can’t recommend it enough.

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TropicDrinkBoy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-25 5:45 pm   Permalink

Beautiful! I don't know when I'll ever get to Germany but if I do I'm going to the Munich Trader Vic's first thing, last thing, maybe spend my entire vacation there. In the mean time your pictures will have to suffice. Thanks for posting them!

View Profile of TropicDrinkBoy Send a personal message to TropicDrinkBoy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kenbo-jitsu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-07-28 9:58 pm   Permalink

Here are some things I picked up at the Munich Trader Vic's.

Business card

Matchbook

Coaster

Sugar packet

Tent card

And another

View Profile of kenbo-jitsu Send a personal message to kenbo-jitsu      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation