[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Music Yma Sumac | Amy Camus
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
Yma Sumac | Amy Camus
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-21 11:11 pm   Permalink

I just picked up a "signed" album by Yma. Anyone have a copy of her sig so I can verify it?

And in a strange twist to the Yma topic... Has anyone listened to that 60's "Son's of Yma" Peruvian garage band album?
Was thinking of getting a copy.

[ This Message was edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:21 ]

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-21 11:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-19 14:30, Kailuageoff wrote:
Man, I wish Castro would kick the bucket so we could go to Havana and check out all the old buildings, autos, etc., drink some of that Havana Club rum and smoke a few Monte Cristos....

In the event that he lives forever, you'll just have to become a Canadian.

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
virani
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 09:26 am   Permalink

I've heard the Sons of Yma album. It's a compilation of 60's garage bands from Peru.
Some titles are funny but lots have a really bad sound (as you can imagine 60's garage peruvian albums).
It's nothing compares to Yma... really much more Punk stuff

View Profile of virani Send a personal message to virani  Goto the website of virani     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
seamus
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 10:02 am   Permalink

I really like Yma too, but I recently picked up one of her records at a garage sale that left me somewhat,, puzzled? The album is called "Miracles" circa 1972. All of the tracks but one are by Les Baxter, which had me very excited, that is,, until the needle dropped. The music is some weird jazz-rock fusion band, and Yma for the most part goes la la la over the top of it. I just put it on again, just to make sure I wasn't in a bad mood or too drunk to really appreciate the first listen,, and nope, this record, in my humble opinion is awful! I don't mean to offend any Yma Sumac fans. Like I said I really like her (earlier) stuff. Does anyone else have this record? Am I insane, or is it really that bad?

View Profile of seamus Send a personal message to seamus  Email seamus Goto the website of seamus     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kailuageoff
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 11:33 am   Permalink

For info. on Baxter and Yma Sumac go here and read the interview with Les before he passed away.
http://www.tamboo.com/baxter/index.html#anchor1

As for Afro-Cuban music, Perez Prado's "Voodoo Suite" just showed up in my mailbox... Sounds like it's time for a Cuba Libre!

[ This Message was edited by: Kailuageoff on 2003-09-22 11:35 ]

View Profile of Kailuageoff Send a personal message to Kailuageoff  Email Kailuageoff     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2003-09-22 2:54 pm   Permalink

About Sons of Yma, I love that album. Here is a review, and the cover looks like this:

Not at all tiki or exotica or Yma Sumac related though.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
FLOUNDERart
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-27 2:00 pm   Permalink

This is my score for this weekend from garage sales, thrift and flea. Another great weekend this just does't happen!

ARTHUR LYMAN:
Aphrodisia
The shadow of Your Smile
LES BAXTER:
Jewels of the Sea
Caribbean Moonlight
Ritual ot the Savage (not in the greatest condition, but will do till I can upgrade)

Ferrante&Teicher-Pianos in Paradise
Rene Paulo Trio-Black Coral (cool cover)
Guy Warren-African Drums (sweet cover)
Exciting VooDoo (is this afro-cuban)
Music of the Maori (another great cover)
Congo Percussion
Polynesian Percussion
Plus 6 more I'm not sure about, they may suck. Unfortunately my player quit working yesterday. Need to take her apart tonight. Someone out there let me know what are some good Afro-Cuban Albums.

www.flounderart.com

View Profile of FLOUNDERart Send a personal message to FLOUNDERart  Email FLOUNDERart Goto the website of FLOUNDERart     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
lucas vigor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-11-17 6:46 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-27 14:00, FLOUNDERart wrote:
This is my score for this weekend from garage sales, thrift and flea. Another great weekend this just does't happen!

ARTHUR LYMAN:
Aphrodisia
The shadow of Your Smile
LES BAXTER:
Jewels of the Sea
Caribbean Moonlight
Ritual ot the Savage (not in the greatest condition, but will do till I can upgrade)

Ferrante&Teicher-Pianos in Paradise
Rene Paulo Trio-Black Coral (cool cover)
Guy Warren-African Drums (sweet cover)
Exciting VooDoo (is this afro-cuban)
Music of the Maori (another great cover)
Congo Percussion
Polynesian Percussion
Plus 6 more I'm not sure about, they may suck. Unfortunately my player quit working yesterday. Need to take her apart tonight. Someone out there let me know what are some good Afro-Cuban Albums.

hwwwwaaaaaaa!!!!

View Profile of lucas vigor Send a personal message to lucas vigor      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation