FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Beyond Tiki Beyond Tiki Finds
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 Next Page )
Beyond Tiki Finds
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-10-15 1:12 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-10-05 07:04, SES wrote:
Hi kctiki,
I'm allergic to corn and any derivatives which means basically everything mass produced.

It's the Indians revenge on the white man. Damn those injuns!

(other than that, sorry to hear about an allergy I didn't know existed)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-22 8:41 pm   Permalink

These aren't as "beyond" as 3D poodle pictures, but I really like these old Readers'Digest covers:

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kctiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-23 5:26 pm   Permalink

Here is the brochure that came in an old "mosaic by numbers" kit I got at an antique mall.

The Still Life With Pineapple (upper right) was already put together and then returned to the box. It's called Plaque Craft & includes sparkling colored glass, imported mosaic tiles, bright beads & stones applied to a pre-numbered panel for a stunning work of art on your first try.

I would really like to find the Comedy and Tragedy plaques in good shape.

View Profile of kctiki Send a personal message to kctiki  Email kctiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sabu The Coconut Boy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-07 7:08 pm   Permalink

Here's a snapshot into the bizarre garage-saling world of Sabu The Coconut Boy. I look for items that I think will sell on E-bay. My hunches usually pay off, but often make Doctor Z grimace when I'm buying them. Here's part of today's haul:

Here's an old vintage coin bank whom I have named "Shriney". He's about 10" tall and his fez says "Almalaikah". Does anyone know what he represents? Is this what Shriners give their kids to teach them about saving? If you put pennies in his back, do they transform into gold? I'm frankly perplexed. The past owner couldn't wait to unload him and sold him to me for 50 cents.

Drum-Major hat. NIB. $2.00

Jug of old Hamms & Olympia Beer leather keychains from the 1970s. $3.00

Jonathan Livingston Seagull rug kit. $1.00

"I would like you to join my band. Please step into the sack."

"Darn it. I was trying to drop that down the front of your blouse."

The Story of Mr World - The World's Only Talking Globe. Lots of cool theremin and other space-age sound effects as Mr World talks in his ponderous, echoing voice. Informative sections about the moon bases we will have built by now to use as stopping-off places on our way to other planets. Lots of good stuff to sample on these records.

Sabu.

View Profile of Sabu The Coconut Boy Send a personal message to Sabu The Coconut Boy  Email Sabu The Coconut Boy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-08 08:39 am   Permalink

I'm going to merge a few posts in here from my "thrift store scores" topic and then delete it in favor of this one...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-08 08:41 am   Permalink

From Johnny Dollar: probably like you all i have experienced "ceramics drift," where you see things that aren't tiki but are just weird. i have gotten several SHRINER ceramics, but got no pix yet.

monkeys...

in other vein,

and there is much much more...

View Profile of Basement Kahuna Send a personal message to Basement Kahuna  Email Basement Kahuna     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-08 08:42 am   Permalink

From me: Here's part of this week's finds (about a third, but keep in mind it's what puts food on my table...) A cool working 1960's Paris tremolo guitar amp, an old 1940's tackle box stuffed to the gills with old tackle and wooden fishing lures, three 1950's Japan tin litho friction police and race car toys (look like Dodge Darts!), a 1936 Martin Brothers Circus program, a great 1960's French kid's book with an outer space theme, a set of 1950's pirate print pilsener glasses (for a Crows Nest?), an old folk art pull toy, a WW2 Royal Air Force sweetheart hanky, a 1930's Dorset compact in the original box, a 1974 Mean Joe Green football game (remember that great Coke commercial?), 1970 Romper Stompers in the original box,(that's a keeper, I had these as a kid and they were the greatest because they made a LOUD noise as you stomped around with them!), and a couple of the old Whitman T.V. books for Land Of The Giants and Voyage To The Bottom Of the Sea. Fun stuff!

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-08 08:43 am   Permalink

From Sugarcaddy: A few things recently added to the household...

2 red containers, one with a purple tassle, both with Asian dragons (I was born in the year of the Dragon) which I place individually wrapped fortune cookies in one and individually wrapped almond cookies in the other. 1 jade tree. 1 pink California pottery vase which I will soon put "Lucky Bamboo" into. A pair of ceramic Asian figures (adding to my other pairs of Asian figures). These are going into my Asian Themed dining room.

By the way BK, any luck on casting this Chinese divider that you spoke about on
this thread?

Another 3 different styles of Pyrex coffee decanters to add to my collection (I now have 14 different styles).

2 juice containers which I will actually use.

The above were actual Thrift Store finds. I do have many other finds from antique and collectible stores, but have kept this to the "thrift store" theme as mentioned.

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-08 08:44 am   Permalink

From newtotiki: sugarcaddydaddy: I have a chair you might get a kick out of / my wifes great great great grandmother bought it sometime early 1900's, at a world fair

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-08 08:46 am   Permalink

From Alnshely:
Plastic dinosaurs and Ice Crushers.
Mahalo,
Al

Basement Kahuna
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-08 08:47 am   Permalink

From tikitanked:

picked up the tower mugs for 39 cents a peice, i think ten in all, not all are this crazed.
have picked up about 35 mambo, cocktail hour, romantic moods albums last year for $1 or less. not counting the exotica and hawaiian records, which i have found approx 45 lps and 78's last year for a dollar or less. i will post them in the collecting tiki at some point.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: tikitanked on 2004-01-25 12:22 ]</font>

martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2004-02-10 1:49 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-07 19:08, Sabu The Coconut Boy wrote:
Here's a snapshot into the bizarre garage-saling world of Sabu The Coconut Boy. I look for items that I think will sell on E-bay. My hunches usually pay off, but often make Doctor Z grimace when I'm buying them. Here's part of today's haul:

Here's an old vintage coin bank whom I have named "Shriney". He's about 10" tall and his fez says "Almalaikah". Does anyone know what he represents? Is this what Shriners give their kids to teach them about saving? If you put pennies in his back, do they transform into gold? I'm frankly perplexed. The past owner couldn't wait to unload him and sold him to me for 50 cents.

Al Malaikah is the name of the main shrine of Los Angeles. There were lots of ceramic and glass objects once upon a time, and these were probably made for a Shriner's kid, or possible for their Children's Hospitals. Perhaps to save your pennies to one day buy a very small car?

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-10 1:59 pm   Permalink

some photos of the various ceramic fezzes and shriners i have ~ it's a whole material subculture i've run into in the past year.

i have a smaller ceramic fez _somewhere..._

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-02-13 10:55 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Johnny Dollar
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-13 10:58 am   Permalink

the fez and the shriner both have cold paint over the glaze - i was considering touching up the black of the suit but maybe i'll leave if for "age-value."

p.s. shoulda photographed the _felt_ shriner fez too... doh

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-02-13 11:31 ]

View Profile of Johnny Dollar Send a personal message to Johnny Dollar  Email Johnny Dollar Goto the website of Johnny Dollar     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-02-13 9:24 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-02-10 13:59, Johnny Dollar wrote:
some photos of the various ceramic fezzes and shriners i have ~ it's a whole material subculture i've run into in the past year.

i have a smaller ceramic fez _somewhere..._

[ This Message was edited by: Johnny Dollar on 2004-02-13 10:55 ]

Shriner stuff is definitely cool. I've got the Shriner planter on the right up there. I put a shoot of Hawaiian bamboo orchid in there (that I bought in Waikiki) and promptly killed it as I am destined to do with all plants. I've got a couple of sets of Shriner s/p shakers, and some fezzes, Jim Beam decanters, coasters, glasses etc.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | 22 | 23 | 24 | 25 | 26 | 27 | 28 | 29 | 30 | 31 | 32 | 33 | 34 | 35 | 36 | 37 | 38 | 39 | 40 | 41 | 42 | 43 | 44 | 45 | 46 | 47 | 48 | 49 | 50 | 51 | 52 | 53 | 54 | 55 | 56 | 57 | 58 | 59 | 60 | 61 | 62 | 63 | 64 | 65 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation