[Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Marischino Liqueur
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
Marischino Liqueur
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-22 11:32 pm   Permalink

I just scored some Marischino Liqueur, imported from Croatia. I can hardly wait to try out the drinks that call for it in "Grog Log" and "Intoxica". I will probably try the Blue Marlin again, since I originally made it with marischino cherry syrup, which turned my beautiful blue drink purple. The Marischino Liqueur that I just bought is clear FYI. The store below does have some cool stuff besides the Marischino Liqueur. They have Fee Brothers Falernum, Marie Brizard liqueurs, Macadamia nut liqueur, etc. They also claim to have one of the largest selections of single malt scotch in the world. Definetly a cool place.

Wine & Liquor Depot
16938 Saticoy St, Van Nuys, CA 91406
Phone: (818) 996-1414

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rain
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 06:29 am   Permalink

if i remember correctly, the demerara dry float uses the maraschino stuff (it's hard to remember much after the Muggler makes cocktails). what i do remember is: it's a drink worth making! tastes like alcoholic sweet tarts. yum.

View Profile of Rain Send a personal message to Rain  Email Rain Goto the website of Rain     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 08:12 am   Permalink

Thanks for the enthusiasm Rain! I can hardly wait to mix one up! I'm already getting thirsty and it is 7 a.m.

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 08:56 am   Permalink

I love the taste of Maraschino Liquor, and the Demerara Dry Float is a favorite, as Rain pointed out.

I have only seen Luxardo brand (from Italy --
http://www.uniexportfood.it/luxardo.html ), so I'm curious to know what the croation version is like. Please let us know!

I found the Luxardo in North Palm Beach, but I have found places in Orlando that will order it. If it's not on the shelves as for it and make sure you say "Luxardo" or else you'll just get confused looks from the clerks.

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 09:13 am   Permalink

The Marischino that I have is:

"Maraska Original Marischino", made in Zada Croatia, and is 64 proof. It cost me $16.99.

Cheers,

KT

thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-09-23 12:09 pm   Permalink

Just to clarify, Maraschino Liqueur is made from special Marasca cherries, and has a unique bitter almond flavor. It's very different from Marashino cherries or syrup, which are made with sugar, food color, and flavorings. You should never substitute one for the other in a drink.

Here are a few of my favorite cocktails with Maraschino Liqueur:

The Aviation
1 1/4 oz gin
1/4 oz Maraschino liqueur
1/2 oz lemon juice
pinch of superfine sugar (optional)
Shake ingredients w/cracked ice and strain into cocktail glass.

The Beachcomber
2 tsp superfine sugar
1 lime wedge
2 oz light rum
1 tsp Maraschino liqueur
1 tsp cherry brandy
1/2 oz lime juice
Rub edge of cocktail glass with lime wedge and dip edge in sugar. Shake rest of ingredients with cracked ice and strain into glass.

Hemingway dacquiri
1 1/2 oz light rum
1/4 oz Maraschino liqueur
3/4 oz lime juice
1/4 oz grapefruit juice
Shake with cracked ice and strain into cocktail glass.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 2:25 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-23 12:09, thejab wrote:
Just to clarify, Maraschino Liqueur is made from special Marasca cherries, and has a unique bitter almond flavor. It's very different from Marashino cherries or syrup, which are made with sugar, food color, and flavorings. You should never substitute one for the other in a drink.

Thanks for the recipes, Jab!

You are right, of course, that Maraschino Liqueur is is not a sugary candy flavor at all. In fact, when asking for it at the package store, be sure to pronounce it as mara-SKEE-no, not mara-SHE-no.

View Profile of TheMuggler Send a personal message to TheMuggler  Email TheMuggler Goto the website of TheMuggler     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
gatorjwade
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-23 3:19 pm   Permalink

Hi Muggler, what's the name of that liquor store in North Palm Beach that had the marachino liqueur? Next time I get up that way I'll stop in.
Thanks.

View Profile of gatorjwade Send a personal message to gatorjwade  Email gatorjwade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TheMuggler
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 3:31 pm   Permalink

gatorjwade,

I don't remember the name of the store, but it was in a strip mall at the SW corner of PGA Blvd. and Prosperity Farms Rd. It's a small store but packed to the ceiling with all sorts of goodness.

Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 7:48 pm   Permalink

I just finished my first demerara dry float(I should have made a double)! I can't believe that I have been alive 39 years without knowing that pleasure! It is a good thing that I picked up an extra bottle of Lemon Hart and Passion fruit syrup. Jab thank for the good looking drink recipes. I'll start on them tomorrow.

Cheers,
KT

JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 3:32 pm   Permalink

Gang,
Just found some "Maraska" brand, Croatian booze calling itself kirschwasser. Also, it's 90 proof, which seems strong for a liqueur. Is this Maraschino liqueur? They do emphasize that it's made from Maraska cherries.

Thanks,
-JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tikiwahine
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 3:42 pm   Permalink

kirschwasser or "Kirsch" as I usually hear it called is indeed a cherry liqueur. I'm not sure if it's marachino or not. I think it's used in cheese fundues. This is strange to me, since I can't think of those two flavours going together very well? Here's a recipe I found for the fondue:

Fondue Suisse - Cheese Fondue

1 garlic clove cut in half
1 c. dry white wine
1t. lemon juice
2 c. Gruyere cheese (coarsely grated)
2 c. Emmenthaler cheese (coarsely grated)
2 t. cornstarch
2 T. Kirsch (liqueur)
dash of white pepper
1 loaf crusty French bread, cut into 1 1/2 inch cubes

Rub inside of fondue pot with cut clove of garlic. Add white wine and lemon juice. Over medium heat (on regular stove), heat until simmering. Turn heat to low and gradually stir in cheeses with a wire whisk or a wooden spoon.

In a separate small bowl, blend cornstarch with kirsch. Blend into cheese and continue to cook, stirring, 2 to 3 minutes or until smooth. (**Don't allow fondue to boil). Season with white pepper and serve with cubed French bread.

View Profile of Tikiwahine Send a personal message to Tikiwahine      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-09-29 4:06 pm   Permalink

JTD -

Maraska is a brand of Croatian liqueurs. They make Maraschino, but they also make Kirshwasser (a cherry brandy). Both are made from Marasca cherries. So, I don't think you have Maraschino there. There are some old cocktail recipes made with Kirshwasser (as well as the aforementioned fondue) so it's not bad to have around.

Interestingly, Maraschino was orginally made only in Croatia, but Luxardo fled Croatia and started to make it in Italy as well. The fascinating story here:

http://www.croatianmall.com/croatia/wine/visnja_maraska.htm

Here's the full range of Maraska products:

http://www.maraskausa.com/Main.html

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-29 7:16 pm   Permalink

Jab,
Thanks for the detailed info. I was out of town at the time, so I went ahead and bought it - just in case. The liquor store did have a couple other of Maraska's products, but no Maraschino. Oh well, I guess I'll just have to keep hanging out in liquor stores.

-JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-11-06 7:38 pm   Permalink

Success! Have discovered a liquor store here in Jacksonville that carries Luxardo Maraschino AND Rhum St James about a mile from where I work. They also had several other goodies that you don't see at the ABC stores.

Fellow First Coast TC'ers, try Riverside Liquors and Village Wine Shop, 1035 Park Street, Jacksonville.

-JTD

Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation