FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Pimento Liqueur
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Pimento Liqueur
Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-23 11:34 pm   Permalink

I have been trying to procure some Pimento Liqueur. Wray & Nephews make it in Jamaica, but to not send it to the states. Does anyone know how, or where a fellow TCer could get a bottle of the stuff to make a few glorious tropical drinks with? I'm not against trying to make it myself, if giving a "good" recipe. Please help!

Cheers,

KT

ps. I probably wouldn't drink as much, if I could carve.

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-09-24 12:19 pm   Permalink

It is nearly impossible to obtain in the U.S. I've been looking in liquor stores for years without any luck. They usually think you're looking for olives with pimentos.

Internet seaches have also turned up zip. A year or 2 ago there was a site that offered it, but it seemed to always be "on order" and unavailable until further notice. I know one person who ordered it from the web site but I don't know if they ever received a bottle (did you Randy?).

I have even called stores that sell Jamaican products with no results except "you have to go to Jamaica, mon".

I have considered going to Jamaica on vacation so I can buy a couple bottles.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 12:31 pm   Permalink

Yes, I too have been unsuccessfully searching for this for some time. I do have a recipe that I found for making it, but it calls for fresh pimentos and all I have ever been able to find is dried. I think I posted it once before, but (if i can find it) I can post it again.

What about the UK? Or Canada? Is it available there?

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikivixen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 1:25 pm   Permalink

My understanding is that "pimento" in this particular case does NOT refer to the little red thangs in olives, but rather to pimento berries, which are the same as allspice berries...which are what we get "allspice" from. That is, the stuff that smells like pumpkin pie spices, ya know, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves etc. It's IN pumpkin pie spice mixes, I think.

So if I could find allspice berries, say at a health food store/special market, I could make pimento liqueur. I think. In theory.

Whaddaya think, guys?

View Profile of tikivixen Send a personal message to tikivixen      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Baron
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-09-24 1:32 pm   Permalink

I found this recipe - but have yet to try it.

Quote:
Pimento liqueur is made by wray and nephew the rum guys in Jamaica. un fortunatly it is no longer available in this country. I think in the days when I ran the bar at the Rainbow Room here in NYC I may have been one of the three users of thre product in the States and they just decided to throw in the towel. However if yo take white rum and steep allspice berriaes in it, then add simple syrup and strain when the flavor is strong enough, you will approximate the product. pimento is an allspice berry liqueur

MM.

View Profile of Tiki Baron Send a personal message to Tiki Baron      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-09-24 1:47 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-24 13:25, tikivixen wrote:
My understanding is that "pimento" in this particular case does NOT refer to the little red thangs in olives, but rather to pimento berries, which are the same as allspice berries...which are what we get "allspice" from. That is, the stuff that smells like pumpkin pie spices, ya know, cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves etc. It's IN pumpkin pie spice mixes, I think.

So if I could find allspice berries, say at a health food store/special market, I could make pimento liqueur. I think. In theory.

Whaddaya think, guys?

It's do-able. Here's the closest recipe I've found:

http://www.guntheranderson.com/liqueurs/allspice.htm

Whether or not it would taste anything like the Jamaican stuff I don't know, and that's important. That's why I haven't tried it myself. If I had a bottle of the real stuff to compare it to I might try it.

The above site is a great source of info on making your own liqueurs.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj

Posted: 2003-09-24 3:13 pm   Permalink

Yeah, Jab, that's right, the interweb source for pimento liqueur was a dud. We've got some allspice "berries" in our spice cabinet though. Maybe we should just make a drink with all the other ingredients and then suck on those. Maybe not.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
PiPhiRho
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 4:19 pm   Permalink

Yes, "pimento" is allspice berries, or more accurately pimento berries from which allspice is made. I have found dried pimento berries, but not fresh. Here is the recipe that I found for pimento liqueur, which calls for fresh pimento berries but seems to me that it could be adapted for dried.

Country Style Pimento Liqueur

- 11/2 qrts ripe pimento berries
- 4 lb. of sugar
- 2 qrts. of water
- 1 qrt. of rum
- 3/4 lb. of cinnamon sticks
- 1 pt of lime juice.

Place the berries in the rum and lime for three days. Crack the cinnamon and boil in 2 quarts waters. Strain and boil with 4 lb. of sugar for 10 minutes. Squeeze out the berries and add the syrup when cold. Strain through clean muslin cloth and bottle.

View Profile of PiPhiRho Send a personal message to PiPhiRho  Email PiPhiRho Goto the website of PiPhiRho     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
purple jade
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 4:30 pm   Permalink

This is from the Columbia Encyclopedia entry for allspice (pimenta dioica):

"The leaves and berries yield an essential oil used for flavoring, e.g., in Benedictine and other liqueurs."

Perhaps it would be better to get a bottle of the essential oil to use instead of the dried berries.

View Profile of purple jade Send a personal message to purple jade  Email purple jade Goto the website of purple jade     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-09-24 4:44 pm   Permalink

Have you seen the price of dried allspice berries? The cheapest ones I've seen are in those cellophane bags and the bag had only about a quarter cup inside it. 1.5 quarts (as called for in that recipe) would cost a fortune!

Mano Tiki Tia
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 11:00 pm   Permalink

You should try Penzey's, They have whole Jamican Allspice

Penzey's Allspice Page

I get all of my spice from them Great quality and great prices.
Pick up a couple of whole nutmeg it makes a world of difference grated on a Painkiller

View Profile of Mano Tiki Tia Send a personal message to Mano Tiki Tia  Email Mano Tiki Tia     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
UtopianDreem

Posted: 2003-09-24 11:50 pm   Permalink

If anyone is planning on trying out that recipe, it might be best to start with only 1/2 quart (2 cups?) of the allspice since you'd be using dried berries. When substituting dried herbs for fresh, the most common conversion is 1 part dried herb for every 3 parts fresh. That would definitely drop the cost of a batch.

I've never taste the commercial Pimento Liqueur and would be interested to see if this would be a close second (or maybe even better). It would definitely be cheaper than a trip to Jamaica, but not nearly as much fun!

View Profile of UtopianDreem Send a personal message to UtopianDreem  Email UtopianDreem     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2003-09-25 11:45 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-24 23:00, Mano Tiki Tia wrote:
You should try Penzey's, They have whole Jamican Allspice

Penzey's Allspice Page

I get all of my spice from them Great quality and great prices.
Pick up a couple of whole nutmeg it makes a world of difference grated on a Painkiller

Thanks for reminding me about Penzey's! I have a catalog but have not ordered yet. They have way lower prices than most market spices.

Kreaky Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-30 06:35 am   Permalink

It looks like making it ourselves is the way to go for now! Like Jab, I would prefer to actually try the real stuff before making my own, but I'm sure it will taste good anyway right? I mean, I like spices and love rum!

Cheers,

KT

View Profile of Kreaky Tiki Send a personal message to Kreaky Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
zrongo

Posted: 2003-11-09 10:45 pm   Permalink

You can buy Pimento Liqueur from the link below. I bought several bottles from them a couple of years ago.

http://www.geocities.com/caribbeantreasures/rums.htm

Their website is a little flaky. Email them directly and tell them you want to buy some.

View Profile of zrongo Send a personal message to zrongo      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation