FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Pimento Liqueur
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Pimento Liqueur
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-08 10:28 pm   Permalink

11 days until my mix of the recipe from imbibe is a month old.

Even immature, the characteristics are fascinating.

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-14 05:53 am   Permalink

I just got my Berry Hill from Reggae Treats- took about 3 weeks, Tasty stuff- Navy Grog, here I come!

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
telescopes
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-08-28 5:22 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-06-09 15:33, jamaican_vibes wrote:
I have 2 bottles of Berry Hill Pimento (Allspice) Liqueur available on my website http://www.reggaetreats.com

Well, I ordered a bottle less than three weeks ago, and wow, got it today. It is fantastic.

Now, I have to state this. Beachbum Berry has a recipe for a quick pimento dram on his website, and I regularly make an instant pimento syrup by grinding two small pimento berries in 1/4 oz of simple syrup and heating it for 15 seconds. While the Wray and Nephew is much smoother and quite drinkable right out of the bottle, once you get it into the drink, i.e. Nui Nui, the difference between the instant pimento dram and the W and N is less noticable. The biggest difference is the 50 dollars it cost me to have the bottle bought for and shipped to Palm Desert.

Am I glad I bought it. Yeh, but now in a big way. This bottle will last me for years, so I guess that's good. I was happier until I went through all my books and counted the number of drinks that need pimento liqueur. Hmmm, one hands not enough but two is more than enough.

For those who wondered if the bottle would really arrive, it did. I say, go for it. And now, I am going to make another Nui Nui - with real pimento liqueur for Jamaica. So take that ...

View Profile of telescopes Send a personal message to telescopes      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
evlew

Posted: 2007-09-13 7:46 pm   Permalink

I live in Jamaica in a town called Bog Walk on a small farm that has one Pimento tree on it. After hurricane Dean I picked up all the branches that were torn off. I ended up with about 10 pounds of dried pimento. I stumbled across this forum while searching for a pimento liquor recipe.The berries that are left on the tree are now ripe and I need to do something with them.

View Profile of evlew Send a personal message to evlew      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Urban Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-09-14 05:56 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-09-13 19:46, evlew wrote:
I live in Jamaica in a town called Bog Walk on a small farm that has one Pimento tree on it. After hurricane Dean I picked up all the branches that were torn off. I ended up with about 10 pounds of dried pimento. I stumbled across this forum while searching for a pimento liquor recipe.The berries that are left on the tree are now ripe and I need to do something with them.

Welcome to TC! Let us know how it comes out.

View Profile of Urban Tiki Send a personal message to Urban Tiki  Email Urban Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
evlew

Posted: 2007-09-15 5:04 pm   Permalink

With the amount of ripe berries I am seeing I might try two or more methods. I tried it once before but at the time I didn't know that heat destroys the rich dark purple colour and the slightest heat sends Jamaican over proof rum flying.

[ This Message was edited by: evlew 2007-09-15 17:05 ]

View Profile of evlew Send a personal message to evlew      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Squad 701
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-19 4:02 pm   Permalink

Hi all,
I've just tried a few Trader Vics Navy Grogs made with Sangsters Pimento Dram Liqueur,
and what a treat they were.
Sangsters Pimento Dram is the same strength as W & N Berry Hill 30o vol, it has a sightly
mellower but spicier taste, compared to Berry Hills clovey taste.
Not a great expert when it comes to comparing liqueurs, but I would be more than happy with
a bottle of either brands, as they are both fine products.
Just for reference the Berry Hill came from Reggae Treats in Jamaica, and a good friend of mine
picked up the Sangsters on a Birdwatching trip to the Duty-Free island of Heligoland off the
north-west coast of Germany, it is of course made in Jamaica.
Hopefully Sangsters will be more widely available than Berry Hill, giving more people a chance
to try this fine liqueur.
Best wishes.
Squad 701

View Profile of Squad 701 Send a personal message to Squad 701      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jamaican_vibes

Posted: 2007-10-19 4:23 pm   Permalink

Squad 701, Sangsters no longer makes the Pimento Dram. All if not most of the rum, liqueurs etc are now being made by Wray & Nephew, under their respective Brand names eg. Sangsters, Lillifield, Appleton.

At the point in time that the brand was acquired by Lascelles Jamaica, it was re-branded. That was the birth of "Berry Hill Pimento Liqueur". There is another pimento liqueur, however, under the name "Lillfield Pimento Liqueur"

Lascelles now owns Wray & Nephew and all their different brands.

Your friend properly got the pimento dram from a very very old inventory.

View Profile of jamaican_vibes Send a personal message to jamaican_vibes  Email jamaican_vibes Goto the website of jamaican_vibes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Squad 701
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-19 4:35 pm   Permalink

Thanks Jamaican Vibes for that update, I was sure it was a new product as he told me there were a few bottles available in the shop, the label looks quite new.
He's going back to Germany in a week or so, I'll get him to bring me back whatever they have left
Squad 701

View Profile of Squad 701 Send a personal message to Squad 701      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
jamaican_vibes

Posted: 2007-10-19 4:49 pm   Permalink

That would be a good idea. All Sangsters products (Original rum cream and the flavored ones under the World's End line) are now being made by Wray and Nephew. I am trying to find out which year this took place.

found this piece of info on the Jamaica Gleaner website:-

Recently, the companies of Edwin Charley Jamaica Ltd., Estate Distributors (which includes Daniel Finzi & Co., purveyors of fine wines, spirits and liqueurs), Sangster's and Wray and Nephew have come together to form the Wray and Nephew Group owned by the Lascelles deMercado Group. A few local rum distributors such as National Rums continue to operate independently.

View Profile of jamaican_vibes Send a personal message to jamaican_vibes  Email jamaican_vibes Goto the website of jamaican_vibes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-10-23 06:14 am   Permalink

Made an interesting discovery last night: Much to my surprise, the base spirit in Berry Hill Pimento Liqueur is not Wray & Nephew- in fact it's not rum at all: It's made with a grain neutral spirit.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-10-23 09:01 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-23 06:14, martiki wrote:
Made an interesting discovery last night: Much to my surprise, the base spirit in Berry Hill Pimento Liqueur is not Wray & Nephew- in fact it's not rum at all: It's made with a grain neutral spirit.

That makes some sense. I used to make all of my tinctures with grain because it was powerful and had no particular flavor of its own. But grain is so brutal and harsh that I switched to overproof rum, using W&N WO most of the time now.

What I'm more interested in is how you made your surprising discovery.

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
martiki
Official Mixologist

Posted: 2007-10-23 10:28 am   Permalink

By having dinner last night with the woman who makes Berry Hill. Macerated pimentos, grain neutral spirit, and caramel color (duh) was all I was able to get out of her- the rest is a trade secret.

Still no plans to come stateside. She makes one batch a year, and the quantities are just enough to satisfy the domestic/duty free market. They don't believe it's worth it to export.

View Profile of martiki Send a personal message to martiki  Email martiki Goto the website of martiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
van Oosten
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2007-10-23 7:51 pm   Permalink

make no mistake there's also vanilla in the Berry Hill! hard to believe they use grain neutral spirits when they almost swim in the rum that surrounds them.

View Profile of van Oosten Send a personal message to van Oosten  Goto the website of van Oosten     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
The Gnomon
Grand Member (7 years)  

Posted: 2007-10-24 06:44 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-10-23 10:28, martiki wrote:
By having dinner last night with the woman who makes Berry Hill. Macerated pimentos, grain neutral spirit, and caramel color (duh) was all I was able to get out of her- the rest is a trade secret.

Still no plans to come stateside. She makes one batch a year, and the quantities are just enough to satisfy the domestic/duty free market. They don't believe it's worth it to export.

Ah! You got it straight from the horse's mou...er...um...detective work...that's it. MartikInvestigations. I'm glad you relieved her of her macerated pimintos. Ladies love that.

Any news on the corporate shenanigans at W&N these days? Who's running the estate now? When are we gonna see AE Reserve in the US?

View Profile of The Gnomon Send a personal message to The Gnomon      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation