FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Pimento Liqueur
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
Pimento Liqueur
Sunny&Rummy
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-30 1:38 pm   Permalink

Just made up a new batch of Falernum and finally located a bottle of St. James Royal Ambre after a couple of weeks of coming up empty, so Three Dots and a Dash will definitely be on this week's playlist.

View Profile of Sunny&Rummy Send a personal message to Sunny&Rummy      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
GentleHangman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2013-08-30 5:18 pm   Permalink

I was able to get a full case of Berry Hill (Wray & Nephew) pimento liquor and have finally almost finished the last bottle. Can't get it shipped here anymore. I'll be using St. Elizabeth from now on. I've heard good things about it in this forum.

GENT

View Profile of GentleHangman Send a personal message to GentleHangman      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Early Landed Larry
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 16 days ago; 11:22 am   Permalink

I felt the need to comment on this as I needed to make some new allspice dram this week. Previously I've made this following the Serious Eats recipe, which is itself a lot like the Berry one on the Total Tiki app. Both call for extracting the allspice flavours by soaking in light rum for a week or two.

This time I decided to try making a syrup first, which I was inspired to do by a poster on here - but I cannot find the thread that originally suggested this now! Sorry.

The big advantage of this is that you have a useable dram the next day, so if you're gagging for some Navy Grogs, it beats waiting for spices to steep in a fairly low ABV booze for half a month. (I've made some home amaro before, and this interested me, as the general rule for people who are serious about making infusions is to use the highest proof alcohol available - I guess it doesn't matter as much if you're using dried spice, as the risk of it going off is minimal, but even so - light rum doesn't imo produce a very good extraction).

So in total I ended up doing this:

1 cup roughly broken allspice berries, with the smaller dust sieved and removed and one small Ceylon cinnamon stick
1.5 cups water
1cup brown sugar
Half a cup of Havana 3 and half a cup of Goslings 151 for the rum.

Simmer the allspice, sugar and water for 15 mins, adding the cinnamon at the end. Leave standing overnight.

Strain carefully into a clean pan, and again if necessary to remove all the particles. Add the rum, mix and bottle.

This was fine to use the same evening, just as a regular infused syrup would have been, although I'm sure it will improve and round off over a week or two.

I also put a decent pinch of black pepper in here, just to see! I think you can slightly taste it. The best thing about this is how easy it was to get a clean liquid! Sieving the broken spices *before* adding any liquid is the way forward, as the last ones I made had tonnes of bitty sediment that made them quite unpleasant towards the end. Thoughts on this method welcome - and my thanks to the poster who came up with the syrup-first idea!

View Profile of Early Landed Larry Send a personal message to Early Landed Larry      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2017 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation