FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Tiki Drinks and Food Pimento Liqueur
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
Pimento Liqueur
KuKuAhu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-06 10:04 pm   Permalink

Damn, glad to see this discussion revived...

Yeah, I've been making my own pimento. I started with the rather weak and disappointing Gunther recipe and went from there.

Currently I've been doing a version with considerably more organic dried berries that I simmer over heat with a few cups of light rum. Then the resulting "tea" is added (berries and all) to an additional amount of rum and steeped for a coupla weeks. Filtered and mixed with a syrup made from organic blond sugar from Kauai and spring water I've gotten a very pure tasting honey sweet allspice flavor.

The color is almost that of a well brewed cup of tea (has a ruby red tint to it).

So far I've enjoyed this version a great deal. I'm not sure how I feel about diluting the allspice with other flavors such as lime, and in the absence of a sample of the real stuff...all I can do is guess.

Given that it is used in such small quantities in drinks, I like the fact that my current product is limited to only allspice and sweetness in it's profile. Makes a predictable and detectable addition to a cocktail.

Your thoughts?

Ahu

View Profile of KuKuAhu Send a personal message to KuKuAhu  Email KuKuAhu Goto the website of KuKuAhu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-26 09:03 am   Permalink

From THIS page I get this quote:

"It is also used in liqueurs, notably Benedictine and Chartreuse."

I can get both of those any day of the week. Does this mean we might substitute one of these? Are they what he is actually calling for? Where's Berry? I mean, I can't imagine he made that book full of recipes noone can make. I have found a source for Marischino Liqueur at least. And maybe real Okolehao will be made again...

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-26 11:48 am   Permalink

I have tasted both Benedictine and Chartreuse and I do not notice any similarity to the allspice liqueur... there may be hints to the spice in the above mentioned products but as you would imagine the "real deal" is nothing but allspice and very strong tasting.

I think the allspice liqueur recipe is the way to go - it would probably be the best way to get the real taste without having to fly to Jamaica. Also, I believe the key to getting a good taste is using fresh allspice instead of the crap that has been in a bottle on a shelf for 20 years.

Aloha from the enchanted Pi Yi Grotto in exotic Bel Air Maryland!

[ This Message was edited by: johntiki on 2005-04-26 11:53 ]

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-04-26 12:27 pm   Permalink

Here's another recipe from someone that has tasted the real thing (that's to say not me).

From
http://www.gumbopages.com/looka/archive/2005-02.html

---------------------------------------

Thursday, February 17, 2005

Getting closer to Jamaica, mon. Okay, last night I tasted the last batch of pimento liqueur. It's ... close. It's a little heavier than the real thing from Wray & Nephew, but flavorwise it's all there -- pure allspice, sweet and with the spicy characteristics of the rum used as the base. It was a little heavier than I expected, though, and maybe the next batch should be made with light brown sugar instead of dark brown sugar.

This isn't definitive just yet, but if you want a decent homemade pimento liqueur to add a few dashes or teaspoons to cocktails that call for it, this'll do rather well for the moment.

Jamaican Pimento (Allspice) Liqueur No. 3
2-1/4 cups 151 proof Demerara rum.
1/2 cup whole dried allspice berries, crushed.
3 cups water.
1-1/2 pounds brown sugar.

Crush the allspice berries in a mortar and place in a 1-liter jar with a rubber seal. Cover with the rum and allow to steep for at least 10 days, agitating the maceration daily.

Pour through a fine strainer, pressing on the solids to extract as much liquor as you can, then pour the strained liquor maceration through another strainer lined with a coffee filter (this'll take a while).

Make a simple syrup with the water and brown sugar; heat until dissolved, then allow to cool. When cool, combine with the rum maceration and allow to age for at least one month. Decant and enjoy.

This will almost fill two 750ml bottles (we use the ones they sell fizzy French lemonade in, because of that nifty resealing rubber-lined ceramic stopper), so you can cut the recipe in half to makes less, unless you want to give some away.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 09:05 am   Permalink

All the recipes I see on the 'net for liqueurs all use A) 40% alcohol by volume and B) the most tasteless alcohol i.e. vodka or GPA to steep in. Here is a write up on it.

So why 151 and especially why Demerara? Personally, it seems like a real waste to use good rum on liqueur. Especially when a bottle of Smirnoff will do the job.

Announcing Swank Pad and Crazy Al's Molokai Maiden!

View Profile of Swanky Send a personal message to Swanky  Email Swanky Goto the website of Swanky     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-04-28 10:27 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-28 09:05, Swanky wrote:
So why 151 and especially why Demerara? Personally, it seems like a real waste to use good rum on liqueur.

If your goal is to create an allspice liqueur then using vodka is fine but if you are trying to recreate Pimento Liqueur then rum will "apparently" get you closer to the proper taste. But for all I know, Pimento Liqueur uses fermented donkey piss as a foundation.

The author of the recipe using Demarara rum said;

"I wanted to try to keep the ingredients more or less true to what would be used in Jamaica, and I'm not sure they use palm sugar there (although I'll look into it).

Then again, I'm using Demerara rum from Guyana instead of Jamaican rum. Dr. Cocktail suggested I mix Myers' dark rum with some Wray & Nephew Overproof Rum, which I think clocks in at about 125 proof."

-
http://www.haloscan.com/comments/looka/20050217_pimento_liqueur_no_3/

Now if Dr. Cocktail is suggesting that rum be used, then I gotta believe that a Pimento Liqueur copy should use rum...

Additionally, I would think that if rum is required to influence the taste of the Pimento Liqueur, then the type of rum used is critical to the taste of the final product.

View Profile of Hakalugi Send a personal message to Hakalugi      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 11:35 am   Permalink

I too was wondering why the recipe called for Guyana rum - I'd have to agree with using the vodka instead of wasting a good bit of rum to steep the allspice in.

View Profile of johntiki Send a personal message to johntiki  Goto the website of johntiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Swanky
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 12:09 pm   Permalink

So, maybe some Appleton Gold is more appropriate.

Hakalugi
Site Administrator

Posted: 2005-04-28 12:46 pm   Permalink

Swanky that may be a good call.

According to the Cocktail Database, Pimento Liqueur is indeed rum based.

http://www.cocktaildb.com/ingr_detail?id=220

Dr.Cocktail

Posted: 2005-04-28 12:55 pm   Permalink

Hakalugi beseeched me to reply to this thread, so here I am!

Yes, Pimento Dram MUST be rum-based. It was as a folk liqueur, it was when Sangster's made it, and it is in the Wray & Nephew incarnation.

The reason the recipe calls for 151 Demerara is the high proof of the rum makes for very efficient flavor extraction and allows for better control of the eventual proof. Personally, in the best of all worlds, I think the rum to use would be a combo of W&N Overproof and Myers's. That said, I sampled Chuck Taggart's last batch and found it *almost perfect*. Really, you could screw around with the formula forever (especially with MY harebrained theories) but in a tasting of the Real Thing and Chuck's batch...man, in a drink I don't think you could even tell the difference. So...everyone descend on
http://www.gumbopages.com/ and let him know the Tiki hordes are outside him door with torches and pitchforks awaiting his final formula!

thine,
--Doc.

View Profile of Dr.Cocktail Send a personal message to Dr.Cocktail  Goto the website of Dr.Cocktail     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
johntiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-04-28 3:56 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2005-04-28 12:55, Dr.Cocktail wrote:
I think the rum to use would be W & N Overproof...

Aha! I've finally found a use for the bottle of overproof collecting dust under the bar!

captnkirk
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 06:20 am   Permalink

I just got my Pimento liquor from Caribbean Treasures last night, they have made some improvments in the site and the product.

1) On their page they now take several payment methods including PayPal
2) The bottle is now labeled "Berry Hill Pimento Liquor" it is the same stuff by W.J. Wrey and Nephew, just new labels.

I love tiki-technology can find anything on the internet.

Pimento liquor is complex brown thick and syrupy, the best way to discribe if you have not tasted it is like all spice flavored Jagermeister with a hint of cinnamon.

Mix yourself several Jasper's Jamacians (from the Grog Log) you will be glad you did. What a tasty and well balanced drink. Just a little bit of this stuff will infuse your drink with a really nice exotic spice flavor. I am a happy customer.

[ This Message was edited by: captnkirk 2006-02-25 06:23 ]

View Profile of captnkirk Send a personal message to captnkirk  Goto the website of captnkirk     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Kono
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 08:10 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2006-02-25 06:20, captnkirk wrote:
I just got my Pimento liquor from Caribbean Treasures last night, they have made some improvments in the site and the product.

Thanks for the info! How long did it take to get yours? It says on their web page that it can take 3-4 months "because it comes from Jamaica." And here I thought they had airports in Jamaica.

View Profile of Kono Send a personal message to Kono  Email Kono Goto the website of Kono     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2006-02-25 12:47 pm   Permalink

Thanks captnkirk, I've been trying to order from them for years with no luck. I just placed an order for a bottle. I just hope it comes before my current stash runs out.

The Jaspers Jamaican is a very tasty drink. You can really taste the pimento liqueur in that one.

Also very good is the Montego Bay from Don the Beachcomber. The recipe is in Intoxica by Beachbum Berry.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
JTD
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-02-25 5:26 pm   Permalink

Capt Kirk,
Thanks for the heads up. Will let all y'all know how it copmpares to the homemade version.

JTD

View Profile of JTD Send a personal message to JTD      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation