FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki $hag Tiki Room Original on eBay
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
$hag Tiki Room Original on eBay
ModMana
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 12:18 am   Permalink

I'm finding it very difficult to restrain myself from voicing what I really think about this auction. Anyone else care to comment...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3554157767&category=20135

$ame $eller who resold the "D - Devil" original right after the $hag: A-Z exhibit.

View Profile of ModMana Send a personal message to ModMana  Email ModMana     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tikichic
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 12:58 am   Permalink

I'm trying hard to bite my tongue here, but I think it is just rotten! It hasn't even been 1 week since the "big event" and it's already listed? Come on! I'm sure there are many other people who would have loved to have the opportunity to buy these originals and made them the focal point of their Shag collection. (I know I would have) Obviously these "sellers" aren't true Shag collectors but instead are in it solely for the money. What a pity! Remember karma

[ This Message was edited by: tikichic on 2003-09-24 01:20 ]

View Profile of tikichic Send a personal message to tikichic      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
fatuhiva
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 01:51 am   Permalink

duh

View Profile of fatuhiva Send a personal message to fatuhiva      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 05:35 am   Permalink

The seller is our very own Jax Tiki, or his brother anyway. They also got the original painting from which the prints were made, and prints 1-4.

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 05:40 am   Permalink

Oh, I note that the auction violates Ebay policy in so much as it states that Paypal fees are partly to be paid by the buyer.

Quote:
From the Ebay Policy: Sellers may not charge eBay buyers an additional fee for their use of ordinary forms of payment, including acceptance of checks, money orders, electronic transfers or credit cards. Such costs should be built into the price of the item-this policy reduces the potential for confusion among bidders about the true cost of an item. Further, some forms of payment surcharges, such as credit card surcharges, are forbidden under the laws of many states, including California.

http://pages.ebay.com/help/index_popup.html?policies=listing-ov.html

[ This Message was edited by: Suburban Hipster on 2003-09-24 05:50 ]

View Profile of Suburban Hipster Send a personal message to Suburban Hipster  Email Suburban Hipster     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
kahukini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 05:49 am   Permalink

You guys are absurd you know that right

There is nothing morally wrong about selling any object that's not going to harm people. It's an object. Matter. Inanimate even.

View Profile of kahukini Send a personal message to kahukini  Goto the website of kahukini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Suburban Hipster
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 05:58 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-24 05:49, kahukini wrote:

There is nothing morally wrong about selling any object that's not going to harm people.

When you talk of morality here, are you speaking from a belief in a universal moral principle applicable to this situation?

[ This Message was edited by: Suburban Hipster on 2003-09-24 05:59 ]

tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 07:45 am   Permalink

I heard several people commenting about the conduct of the people who arrived late, pushed their way to the front, then ran the fastest to get in line first. It appears that the only motivation was to buy the original and flip it to make some cash. Blame Disney for horrible organization of this event. Hoprfully no TC members will bid on this, but i'm sure someone will. May all the birds from the Tiki Room swoop down and poop all over his painting!

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki_Bong
Deleted

Posted: 2003-09-24 09:22 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2003-09-24 05:49, kahukini wrote:
You guys are absurd you know that right

There is nothing morally wrong about selling any object that's not going to harm people. It's an object. Matter. Inanimate even.

Ditto!

(you all do know that you got 'Shagged' don't you?)

Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
BONBONVIC
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 09:54 am   Permalink

Jax Tiki
Tiki Centralite

My brother and me scoped out the arrangements on Friday and parked at the Disney Californian Resort at 5:30...made it to the gates by 5:45 where a crowd of 12-15 were there already. As fortune would have it...I was one of those idiots who ran as the gates opened and scored the Original Tiki room painting. My brother followed with the "Waking Jose" painting. I guess at least a TC'er has it instead of someone in Japan.
Regards to Hal...a fellow TC'er from Tampa whom I met while Shag signed items. We both travelled from Florida just for the event.

View Profile of BONBONVIC Send a personal message to BONBONVIC      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
mattfink
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 11:22 am   Permalink

Ahh, good old capitalism...nothing like it to get the blood stirring....seriously, yeah it sucks that the event was organized to allow people to "race" to the goodies, but what can you do....on the other hand, maybe he's thrown some insane reserve on it just to see how high a bid he'll get

View Profile of mattfink Send a personal message to mattfink  Email mattfink Goto the website of mattfink     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
aquarj
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-09-24 2:38 pm   Permalink

So it sounds like these guys bought paintings with the hope of making a profit by reselling them later. And this is bad, right? Isn't that exactly what Disneyland itself did? Why would it be worse for anyone, denizens of TC or not, to support one kind of profit (for private individuals), but not wrong to support the other kind (for D-land the organization)?

Personally, I find it a little strange for someone to be *interested* in this particular method of profit-making, but I don't see what's wrong with it. For every buyer there's gotta be a seller, and lord knows I'm a buyer way too often when it comes to this ridiculous tiki habit. So I'm often glad these seller types are out there - if everyone did it just "for the love of the object" and kept things for themselves, then it'd be a lot harder for a kook like me to find the stuff.

-Randy

View Profile of aquarj Send a personal message to aquarj  Goto the website of aquarj     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 3:41 pm   Permalink

Me, I'm just sick to puking of eBay, period. Nuff said.

em.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
suzywong
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 3:54 pm   Permalink

What do you think Shag's motivation was in creating these designs??????? Or any for that matter?

To preserve what is sacred?

Love and respect of that which is tiki?

NO and NO.

Perhaps P Diddy said it best:

It's All About The Benjamin's

View Profile of suzywong Send a personal message to suzywong  Email suzywong     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Monkeyman
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 3:55 pm   Permalink

[ This Message was edited by: Monkeyman on 2003-10-27 11:03 ]

View Profile of Monkeyman Send a personal message to Monkeyman  Email Monkeyman     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation