FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Collecting Tiki $hag Tiki Room Original on eBay
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
$hag Tiki Room Original on eBay
tiki-riviera
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-27 4:47 pm   Permalink

Shag seems to be intentionally moving away from tiki themed paintings. This will probably result in greater appreciation of his tiki art (glad I have a stockpile).

View Profile of tiki-riviera Send a personal message to tiki-riviera  Email tiki-riviera     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Tiki Diablo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-27 4:52 pm   Permalink

Damn I missed this one alright,but I'm with my boy Suicide Sam on the supply and demand thing. Hope my vibe stays true to form as the "THREAD KILLER" .

[ This Message was edited by: thechikitiki on 2003-09-27 17:12 ]

View Profile of Tiki Diablo Send a personal message to Tiki Diablo  Email Tiki Diablo Goto the website of Tiki Diablo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
emspace
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-28 4:22 pm   Permalink

Again, I may have strong feelings about drugs - they buggered up my own life for a good long while as well as the lives of several fine people I know - but I defer to anyone who says they know Sam and vouch for his character. And teenagers do lots of stupid things. Teenagers, IMHO, do practically nothing but stupid things, so slack needs to be cut. But please don't ask me to say selling and using drugs aren't f***king stupid things, kay?

Apologies all round,
aloha,
em.

View Profile of emspace Send a personal message to emspace      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rock-A-Tiki
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2003-10-04 10:18 am   Permalink

WOW...........
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3554157767&category=20135

View Profile of Rock-A-Tiki Send a personal message to Rock-A-Tiki  Email Rock-A-Tiki Goto the website of Rock-A-Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
SES
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-04 10:33 am   Permalink

Hah! Did you read the winners "about me" page?

[ This Message was edited by: susane on 2004-01-20 06:55 ]

View Profile of SES Send a personal message to SES      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Formikahini
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-04 3:56 pm   Permalink

Too funny, SES! That DOES explain why he'd spend over 10.5 K for a Disney-themed painting!!

View Profile of Formikahini Send a personal message to Formikahini  Email Formikahini     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Hot Lava
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 10:17 am   Permalink

The winner was just featured in the last issue of the E-Ticket magazine. He's got one hell of a collection, from Dumbo and Mr. Toad cars to original attraction posters. $10K to him is chump change.

View Profile of Hot Lava Send a personal message to Hot Lava  Email Hot Lava     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Unga Bunga
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-06 12:36 pm   Permalink

SCOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRREEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
I was the highest bidder for this litho.
The idiot let it go for five dollars!

http://www.audioautographs.com/tiki/Waking_Hanford.htm

View Profile of Unga Bunga Send a personal message to Unga Bunga      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
shakatiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-10-07 10:36 pm   Permalink

I'll give you ten!!.....

That is...ten thousand! (As long as you throw in a bag of crack)
This whole forum has been extremely entertaining, a little enlightening, and slightly disheartening (sp?) Most important is "WHAT'S IN IT FOR ME??" ...

OKOLE MALUNA!!!!
SAVE THE WORLD, BUY BAMBOO!!

View Profile of shakatiki Send a personal message to shakatiki  Email shakatiki Goto the website of shakatiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Otto
Grand Member (3 years)  

Posted: 2003-10-07 11:55 pm   Permalink

yeah, yeah
you know where I stand on this issue and I'm stickin to my guns.

Quote:

On 2003-09-24 21:33, fatuhiva wrote:
Otto must be loving this.

Besides you all know that "collectibles" created to be "collectable" are never really all that "collectable" ...right(?)

View Profile of Otto Send a personal message to Otto  Email Otto Goto the website of Otto     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sneaky Tiki

Posted: 2003-11-25 01:53 am   Permalink

I went to Disneyland that day just so I could buy a few of the items. If I would have been able to see Josh and talk to him for a sec that would've been fine but I was mainly there to buy a few of the Shag items and go and I don't care for anyone's autograph either. I got in for free because a neighbor of mine works at DCA and she signed me in. I went with a friend who has an annual pass and we got in and saw the line and went to get lunch and went on POTC and went back to the line but they said we couldn't get in line anymore . . . at least we couldn't get in line for autographs. But all I wanted to do was buy some stuff and go. But we waited and waited. Finally I got in and bought a few things and left (and no I am not reselling them on eBay) and then went to the Tiki Room with my friend and left. My friend wanted to get one of the Shag purses for his wife but they were sold out.
I can attest that Josh has been in to tiki stuff for a long time and didn't suddenly start doing it as a way to make money. I first met him and the other Swamp Zombies in 1989 (actually, I sort of met them a little bit earlier than that) and found out that one of their big influences was stuff from their parents' record collections like Kingston Trio and Harry Belafonte, which is just what my parents were into and one of the reasons I gravitated towards the Swamp Zombies. I was a bit of a Swamp Zombies follower for a while until I killed off the band (another story) and at one of the gigs Josh saw the tiki necklace I had and asked where I got it. I told him I got it in Hawaii and when I went back to Hawaii for some more college I got him one and sent it to him and he later told me he got it and that it was unique to his collection. In 1995 I asked if he could paint some designs on my black acoustic bass guitar and I told him my concept (green and purple musical notes with ghost faces on the front and a tiki face covering the whole back). He said he could do it and asked me how much he should charge me. I had no clue what range he was thinking in but finally said, "Uh . . . uh . . . fifty bucks?" And he said, "You don't have to pay me that much. Name a lower price." So I know he's not moneygrubbing. I do know through subsequent e-mails with him that he likes making money off of doing something he enjoys but it's not anything that can be characterized as greed. Unfortunately the last time I talked to him (2001?) he denied any knowledge of having painted my bass but then inadvertently let on that he did remember (it could be that he didn't want to sign "SHAG" on it because it doesn't exactly look like his signature style or it could have been that he was being his usual squirrelly self; I don't really know) and through no fault of his own he has since become too untouchable for me to probably ever have any contact with him again.

[ This Message was edited by: Sneaky Tiki on 2005-02-02 12:16 ]

[ This Message was edited by: Sneaky Tiki on 2005-02-21 22:58 ]

View Profile of Sneaky Tiki Send a personal message to Sneaky Tiki  Email Sneaky Tiki Goto the website of Sneaky Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
moldy

Posted: 2007-01-16 3:06 pm   Permalink

that is a bunch of BS I only took 10% of the sale to insure that the Artist got what they wanted without being a pig about it. It was all the other dealers around that was taking so much out of their pockets not me... But here now several years later I had to close down my gallery cuz I coulden't pay the bill on what I was brining in...
Quote:

On 2003-09-25 20:17, suicide_sam wrote:
Saying that someone is unethical because the y resell is kind of a joke though. The largest dealer of low brow art around is Moldy Marvin. Yet I know a few artists whose work is sold by Moldy Marvin taht love him. No matter what wierd way out thing they paint or build, Moldy Marvin can sell it and help them pay bills. He sells everything at at an inflated price and the artist gets half and he gets half. But because of him these artists are paying the bills and getting their work out there. If soimeone is willing to pay 5 grand for a 30's refridgeratoe with a pearl red paint job and a sacred herat painted on it, then that means the artist just got 2,500 for it. Where else were they going to sell somethingt like this. The true fan will pay whatever. I have payed way to much for vintage pin up art and was not pissed about the price, I was happy to get that piece of vintage pin up art. Thats the way it goes.

Besides isn't everyone over Shag yet. Man I really used to dig his work years ago but I have just seen so much of it that the novelty has kind of worn off.

View Profile of moldy Send a personal message to moldy  Goto the website of moldy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiPug
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-16 3:16 pm   Permalink

And you dug this thread up after 3 1/2 years because why?

View Profile of TikiPug Send a personal message to TikiPug      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jax Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-01-18 4:52 pm   Permalink

Thanks for bringing this up again!

It took 3 years of intensive therapy for me to be able to look myself in the mirror again.

Back to the shrink I go.

View Profile of Jax Tiki Send a personal message to Jax Tiki      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
RevBambooBen
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2007-12-22 10:15 am   Permalink

Quote:

On 2007-01-18 16:52, Jax Tiki wrote:
Thanks for bringing this up again!

It took 3 years of intensive therapy for me to be able to look myself in the mirror again.

Back to the shrink I go.

Jax,

You might want to talk with your shrink about the Ohana Hut too!

Bamboo Ben
Custom Tropical Decor
I build Tiki Rooms for you! Just ask around ;)
https://www.facebook.com/bamboo.ben

View Profile of RevBambooBen Send a personal message to RevBambooBen  Email RevBambooBen Goto the website of RevBambooBen     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( Previous Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation