FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Ľ Ľ Locating Tiki Ľ Ľ Red Lion Hanalei Hotel, San Diego, CA (hotel)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page ) Remove Highlighting
Red Lion Hanalei Hotel, San Diego, CA (hotel)
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-24 10:58 am   Permalink

Name:Red Lion Hanalei Hotel
Type:hotel
Street:2270 Hotel Circle North
City:San Diego
State:CA
Zip:92108
Phone:619-297-1101

Description:
Built in 1966, this Polynesian Hotel sits right next to the 8 freeway. Tons o Tiki to be found here, to many for me to count. Having 2 restaurants, Sushi Bar and a lounge. The Islands restaurant is located next to the lobby and is a Tiki haven. With Tiki's from the famous Outrigger and The Luau finding sanctuary here. A huge Moai serves as the lifeguard, sitting next to the swimming pool. Great location, literally minutes from the Zoo, Old Town, the beach, Shelter Island and Sea World.

http://www.hanaleihotel.com/

[ This Message was edited by: DawnTiki on 2003-09-25 08:59 ]

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2003-09-24 1:27 pm   Permalink

I'm glad Dawn brought up the Hanalei. I was just looking at their website the other day to see what the Islands hours are and I noticed some changes. They have a sushi bar that is "Set in an exotic atmosphere of tropical surroundings, salt-water fish tanks and cascading waterfalls".

http://www.islandssushi.com/3.html

Last time I was there was about 2 or 3 years ago and the sushi bar wasn't there. Don't worry, it sounds like the Islands restaurant is still intact:

http://www.islandssushi.com/4.html

Did they replace the boring nontiki bar with this sushi joint? Has anyone been there lately?

It looks like they also redid the lobby recently (from the pictures on the web site) but it has not been polynesian for years. Happily, the pool photo shows the moai is still there.

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2003-09-25 09:21 am   Permalink

I was there Teusday and Wednesday. I really liked this property, except for being so close to the freeway. The room overlooked the pool and was next to the coi ponds, Tiki's and plenty of palm trees. Service was great at The Islands, being the only people in the restaurant we were well taken care of. The Islands Sushi and Pupu Bar "is" the bar/lounge, they just stuck a Sushi Chef behind the bar with the bartender. Not much of a Polynesian vibe, a pretty generic room (I thought). But it did have a nice big fish tank, and if you looked you could see a Tiki or two from the bar. The entrance of the hotel has a big outrigger above the door, setting the right tone, but when I walked into the lobby, it felt like any other hotel, I was a little let down. But there, just a few feet away the Tiki's were waiting. For a Red Lion Inn I was pleasantly surprised

View Profile of DawnTiki Send a personal message to DawnTiki  Email DawnTiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
wrongdimensionboy
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-03-14 01:12 am   Permalink

Slacks Ferret and I had a lot of fun here. The restaurant had great fountains, and the koi fish, tiki hut and Easter Island head were really great. Waterfall was nice too. 10 minutes from Bali Hai.

View Profile of wrongdimensionboy Send a personal message to wrongdimensionboy  Goto the website of wrongdimensionboy     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-06-15 11:22 am   Permalink

I stayed at the Red Lion Hanalei Hotel this past weekend, and I've updated the records in Critiki for the Hanalei Hotel, the Islands Restaurant, and Islands Sushi & Pupu Bar. There are a ton of new photos there.

I'd visited before, but only briefly to poke my head in. My overall impressions:

The hotel is nice enough, I guess, but kind of bland. The hotel grounds are pretty big, and while there are actually some great tikis here, they're pretty spread out and the place definitely doesn't feel Polynesian. My room was fine, on the large side, and service in the hotel was nice. Generally, I'm just not a fan of the bland chain hotel experience, I generally like to go either really high-end or really slum it. The garden area inside the tower is where you'll find the most tiki-fied space.

The Islands Restaurant I quite rather liked. It's lit too brightly, but it felt just like sitting in an old postcard. I especially liked the water features thoughout, including clam shell fountains that are still working, and small streams circling the small restaurant. The music was very appropriate, gentle hawaiian standards. The food was surprisingly good, I had the duck. The drinks were a disappointment. I started with a Mai Tai, which was about half pineapple juice. I then tried a Pirate's Grog, which was rather odd, and tasted not unlike a Flintstones chewable vitamin. It was bright pink, too. No self-respecting pirate would drink it. Or perhaps only a pirate would be manly enough to drink it and not care what others think.

I didn't eat or drink at the Islands Sushi bar out by the lobby -- it looked like your basic hotel lounge.

The pictures on Critiki are the good(ish) ones, and have been cropped & color corrected & all that, but there are many more pictures, as always, in my personal albums.

And also: this is my 1000th post! Yowzers!

[ This Message was edited by: Humuhumu on 2004-06-15 11:23 ]

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tiki5-0
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-16 09:09 am   Permalink

we stayed here this weekend. i surprised my wife with a weekend getaway down in san diego. the hotel was nice. the courtyard was a cool place to hang out and relax watching all of the koi swim around in the ponds. the only disappointment was for being a polynesian themed hotel, the rooms resembled nothing of that. we had an extra bonus saturday night. there was a reunion of some sort, so they had a luau. there were hula dancers, fire dancer, and live music. it was by the pool, so all the passer-byers got some free entertainment. we definately plan on staying there again sometime.

[ This Message was edited by: tiki5-0 on 2004-08-16 09:10 ]

View Profile of tiki5-0 Send a personal message to tiki5-0  Email tiki5-0 Goto the website of tiki5-0     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-19 8:57 pm   Permalink

We haven't seen much from Sabu or Puamana in a while, so I decided to break out a few postcards for show and tell.

Here is a card from the Hanalei Hotel and Islands Restaurant in San Diego, CA. The place was a real gem in it's heyday.

Take a closer look and you can see the details that made this place a classic.

A lava rock waterfall and lots of tropical foilage.

Outrigger beams and a large lava rock moai on the roof. Looks like this guy had a torch on top of his head.

A nice covered walkway supported by tiki poles. Check out the port hole window on the door that leads to the lounge. Looks like this gal was dressed to go out for the evening.

This place still looked great inside and out the last time my wife and I visited San Diego (1995). Here is a link to a previous thread where I posted more recent photos. Look closely and you can still see the port hole window on the door to the lounge.

http://tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=8110&forum=1

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Sweet Daddy Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-20 01:21 am   Permalink

Hey -- I've got a postcard of the Hanalei. Found this earlier this year (I hardly ever find tiki-related postcards):

blog

[ This Message was edited by: Sweet Daddy Tiki 2008-09-18 00:14 ]

View Profile of Sweet Daddy Tiki Send a personal message to Sweet Daddy Tiki  Goto the website of Sweet Daddy Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ZuluMagoo
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-08-21 1:09 pm   Permalink

Here are a few paper items I picked up while I was there in '95.

These next two postcards were free advertisements in the bar promoting theme nights in the lounge.

Front

Back

Front

Back

View Profile of ZuluMagoo Send a personal message to ZuluMagoo  Email ZuluMagoo     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
bongofury
Grand Member (6 years)  

Posted: 2004-08-29 12:16 pm   Permalink

Wear a Fez and get in free! Free polynesian buffet! Surf bands and exotica! They probably don't do that anymore do they? Here are some more images, all from an oversize postcard.

View Profile of bongofury Send a personal message to bongofury  Email bongofury     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
ShaTikah
Tiki Centralite

Posted: 2004-10-27 01:11 am   Permalink

Hah! Great pics. all! Thanks for the memories! That Taboo flyer was my friends' party. The outfits were eggggselent, also... smoking jackets, fur couts, and of course, fezzes. The lounge acts were fantastic; and the decor a dream.

I couldn't believe the day I drove by the joint and saw it under construction. I moved away before it was finished. How does it look these days?

View Profile of ShaTikah Send a personal message to ShaTikah  Email ShaTikah     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 7:18 pm   Permalink

Quote:

[i]On 2004-10-27 01:11, ShaTikah wrote:

How does it look these days?

http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=3267&forum=1

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
DawnTiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 7:36 pm   Permalink

Gee, I just love this place. The first time I walked in it was like standing inside a picture of an old postcard. Dreamy!

TIKIBOSKO
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 8:04 pm   Permalink

ĒI couldn't believe the day I drove by the joint and saw it under construction. I moved away before it was finished. How does it look these days?Ē

Really great postcards, but what they donít show of the interior was even more amazing, the Islands used to be the most sophisticated Tiki room west of the Mississippi. It was remodeled by OA in 76 (I think) and they did an unbelievable job, parts of it looked like a primitive futuristic Tiki space craft.
I havenít been back since the last remodel (Sven didnít have anything positive to say about it) but there canít be too much of significance left. The exterior was completely destroyed; itís just an awful looking strange box. The demolition crew was filling up many 33 yard dumpsters everyday for over a week. The great A-frame that was the side entrance was unceremoniously chopped up with a chainsaw, the lagoon and waterfalls that led you into the bar area, torn out. Itís the saddest destruction of a mid-century landmark Iíve had to watch unfold, because it was in such pristine condition.
There were a great many Tiki poles inside which where supposedly spared but nobody knows where they ended up. The ceiling was full of big fish floats and light fixtures, a large portion of these where auctioned off. All the exterior Tiki pole supports, exterior Tahitian cannibal carvings (originally from the Luau), giant conch shells, tons of lava, Tapa cloth wall coverings, 100ís of OA Tiki posts for the walkways, all dumped. We offered Hanalei management cash for anything they wanted to get rid of and they werenít interested. Thankfully I happen to know a guy who snuck in after hours and hauled allot of treasures out of their trash containers.
I hate to be such a downer but when I first read this thread I thought thereís something I can contribute too, but all the old memories came flying back.
If youíre new to the area you should take a look, itís only me who can never go back.

My very best alohaís

Bosko

View Profile of TIKIBOSKO Send a personal message to TIKIBOSKO  Goto the website of TIKIBOSKO     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
christiki295
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2004-10-27 11:37 pm   Permalink

Quote:

On 2004-10-27 20:04, TIKIBOSKO wrote:

The exterior was completely destroyed; itís just an awful looking strange box. The demolition crew was filling up many 33 yard dumpsters everyday for over a week. The great A-frame that was the side entrance was unceremoniously chopped up with a chainsaw the lagoon and waterfalls that led you into the bar area, torn out. Itís the saddest destruction of a mid-century landmark Iíve had to watch unfold, because it was in such pristine condition.

I think I'm going to cry.

View Profile of christiki295 Send a personal message to christiki295  Email christiki295     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation