FEATURES | MUSIC | BOOKS | DRINKS | FORUMS | GAMES | LINKS | ABOUT

advertise on Tiki Central

Celebrating classic and modern Polynesian Pop
  [Edit Profile]  [Edit Preferences]  [Search] [Sign Up]
[Personal Messages]  [Member List]  [Help/FAQ]  [Rules]  [Login]
Tiki Central Forums Locating Tiki The Alibi, Portland, OR (restaurant)
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
The Alibi, Portland, OR (restaurant)
Tiki Room Fan

Posted: 2003-09-24 2:14 pm   Permalink

Name:The Alibi
Type:restaurant
Street:4024 N. Interstate Ave.
City:Portland
State:OR
Zip:97227
Phone:503/287-5335

Description:
The Alibi was founded in the late 1800s as a highway stop for travellers between Oregon and Washington (hence the address). In 1947 a new owner converted it into a Tiki themed restaurant/bar. Most of the present decor dates from a concentrated effort in the 1970s. Sold a few years ago, the Alibi's new owners had to pledge to retain the original decor and themed viands.

There is a full bar and restaurant, with karaoke. The interior is densely decorated. Features include a day glo bas relief of hula girls in tropical setting, entrance shaped like a barrel, and \"carved to death\" details. Booths, tables, and bar seating is available.

Also of note just down the street is the massive neon sign for the Palm Motor Court. The figural neon palm trees (complete with blue neon monkey) make a great beacon when seeking the Alibi on rainy Portland nights.

View Profile of Tiki Room Fan Send a personal message to Tiki Room Fan      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 12:45 pm   Permalink

I just found out about this place. I have never been in a tiki bar, so I will have to check this out sometime soon. I will have to bring a camera sounds pretty cool!

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Trader Tiki
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-13 2:17 pm   Permalink

Decor fantastic (you walk in through a barrel!), drinks awful. Like Diet Cherry 7-up and Potato Vodka awful. Unless, of course, that's your thing.

Definitely worth a visit.

TraderTiki.com
Exotic Syrups for Tropical Mixology!

View Profile of Trader Tiki Send a personal message to Trader Tiki  Email Trader Tiki Goto the website of Trader Tiki     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls
Grand Member (first year)  

Posted: 2005-02-14 11:45 am   Permalink

And no top-shelf rums...Bacardi Gold is about as exciting as it gets.

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-18 3:27 pm   Permalink

tigertail, you'll have to join us for a NW Tiki Central happy hour one of these months. They're held the first Friday of each month, and they alternate between Alibi and Jasmine Tree. You can find out all about NW Tiki Central events by going here and signing up for the mailing list: http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=6400&forum=4&46

We also hope to see you at the NW Tiki Crawl in June. Details here:
http://www.tikiroom.com/tikicentral/bb/viewtopic.php?topic=12695&forum=4&24

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
tigertail777
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-02-20 10:54 am   Permalink

wow thanks for the invite! I am excited I have never been to anything like this before. The tiki crawl in particular sounds like a hell of a lot of fun!

View Profile of tigertail777 Send a personal message to tigertail777  Email tigertail777 Goto the website of tigertail777     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-02 5:32 pm   Permalink

I think some Alibi updates are in order. First, I'd like to note that Alibi owner, Larry White, is a friend of tiki, and went out of his way (despite a serious heart condition) to make sure the NW Tiki Crawl was well taken care of during our time there. Larry's a great guy, and, though he's not steeped in the Tiki tradition, he respects it, and has made a habit of asking those of us in the know for advice when it comes to decorating and remodeling.

The wonderful Alibi sign is undergoing a full-scale refurbishment, and thanks to Larry for calling on the NW Tiki makeover team, it's not going to be purple and teal. The sign painters they called in are actually third generation of the family that did the original sign, and we talked them into the closest thing possible to an authentic restoration. It's going to be beautiful when finished, which should be in the next month or so.

Al (with the ponytail) is no longer the head bartender at the Alibi, and the drink quality has improved remarkably. Though still geared for mainstream tastes, the bar now stocks some better rums (it's one of only 2 bars in town I know of that stock one of my favorites, Cruzan Blackstrap), and the new head bartender, Reid, will make your drink extra sour if you ask him to.

New menu designs are underway, and they incorporate a more classic (and less clip-arty) look. I saw the proofs last week and they're going to be very nice.

Some upcoming remodeling projects will include a thatched roof over the bar, the repair and refurbishment of the long-forgotten fountain, and a new look for the awful mirrored fireplace. I'm meeting with Larry and his wife, Carla, tomorrow to pore over an Oceanic Arts catalog, so you can expect to see some new tikis and lamps in the near future.

All in all, the Alibi is in the process of sprucing up, but not "modernizing" in any way. Larry is no longer under any obligation to keep the place the way it's always been, but now he does so by choice, and is determined to maintain the Alibi's famous tiki charm.

If you have any suggestions about how to improve the Alibi, please post them here or email me directly and I'll pass them on. Before you say, "Ban smoking", I can tell you that's not going to happen until the state mandates it, nor will Larry kick the lottery habit. Other than those things, suggest away, and I'll let Larry know what you're thinking.

Viva Alibi!

View Profile of TikiMaxton Send a personal message to TikiMaxton  Email TikiMaxton Goto the website of TikiMaxton ICQ status     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Humuhumu
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-02 5:53 pm   Permalink

My #1 suggestion is to keep it dark! I LOVE how it takes a couple minutes for my eyes to adjust as I enter the Alibi, and I love how the darkness gives the nooks & crannies a sense of mystery.

I haven't tasted the new bartender's drinks yet, so it would be improper for me to scrutinize that, but I'm gonna anyway: MEASURE! No tiki bar can make good drinks without measuring -- despite having to get drinks out pronto to a packed crowd, they know at Trader Vic's and at Tiki-Ti that your jigger must be your constant companion.

This is so wonderful! Huge congratulations and thanks are in order to all the people who are working together to keep the character of the Alibi intact.

Critiki - Ooga-Mooga - Humu Kon Tiki

View Profile of Humuhumu Send a personal message to Humuhumu  Email Humuhumu Goto the website of Humuhumu     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
thejab

Posted: 2005-11-02 6:13 pm   Permalink

Hooray for Larry and tikimaxton! How many times do you hear that a classic tiki place (or any old place for that matter) will be remodeled (cringe), and they actually care enough to bring it closer to the classic tiki style, remove some of the tacky add-ons from the 80s, and try to make the drinks better? Not once that I can recall.

Marvelous news!

View Profile of thejab Send a personal message to thejab  Goto the website of thejab     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Rum Balls

Posted: 2005-11-03 4:29 pm   Permalink

This is great news...now I'm even more sad I'll miss Friday's happy hour. I especially excited to hear that the rum selection is improving!

View Profile of Rum Balls Send a personal message to Rum Balls      Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiMaxton
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2005-11-03 5:05 pm   Permalink

Another update - you can decide for yourself whether it's good news or bad news: OLCC rules have forced the Alibi to discontinue their "family dining" setup. This means that minors are no longer allowed in any portion of the premises at any time.

I had the blackened prime rib sandwich today for the first time - to DIE for! If you're a carnivore like me, I highly recommend it!

dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-04-23 11:49 pm   Permalink

we stopped into the Alibi for dinner .. my friends were WOWed with the decor and food fantastic as usual! the place is even nicer than the last time we visited. great waitress, lounge-y music playing in the background.. i love this place!

i dont remember these great platters.. at first i thought the waitress was carring a tray with 2 of our meals on it.. i was stunned to find out, this was mine!

Seafood Combo (scallops, clam strips, shrimp, oysters, stuffed shrimp and halibut, served with a huge salad and garlic bread and i chose onion rings as my side...

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
TikiTrevor
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 9:04 pm   Permalink

Time for a bump and an update if anyone has one...

I'm going to be in Porkland (hehe, sorry had too) Oregon for one night next Tuesday and wanted to know if this place is still worth the treck? I'm going with a co-worker and I'm gonna have to make a huge effort to make it out there. Any updates on the place????

View Profile of TikiTrevor Send a personal message to TikiTrevor  Email TikiTrevor Goto the website of TikiTrevor     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Jungle Trader
Tiki Socialite

Posted: 2006-07-25 9:11 pm   Permalink

Oh heck yeah it's worth it. The Alibi is "over the top". I was up there for the NW Tiki Kon in June. Larry (the owner) told me he was trying to change and add more but it seemed to me that The Alibi was just right. The place is fairly good size with lots of nooks to get lost in, and heavy on the Tipsy (Tikis per square yard) scale. Beautiful, ya gotta see it.

Search for the thread on the NW Tiki Kon in the Tiki Events forum.

View Profile of Jungle Trader Send a personal message to Jungle Trader  Goto the website of Jungle Trader     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
dogbytes
Grand Member (8 years)  

Posted: 2006-07-25 11:15 pm   Permalink

you MUST experience the Alibi. the food, drinks and decor are fantastic..and the vibe puts it over the top!

ditch the coworkers if you must.. just get the to The Alibi!

View Profile of dogbytes Send a personal message to dogbytes  Email dogbytes Goto the website of dogbytes     Edit/Delete This Post Reply with quote
Goto page ( 1 | 2 | 3 Next Page )
U-Moderate:

v1.5

[ About Tiki Central | Contact Tiki Central | Advertise on Tiki Central ]
(c) 2000-2014 Tikiroom.com (tm), Tiki Central (tm)

Credits & copyright infomation